A little slam from a Post writer

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by rickinva, Oct 21, 2004.

1. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    We have plans for thank you Goff sort of banner, but there hasn't been good game to make it for... next couple games are more about hate. Maybe early next season.

I'd like to move my jackboot to a more suitable venue, perhaps on his face :D

from metros board:
    "I'm telling you. If ANYBODY reading this thread is on the fence or slightly interested by the bus trip, let me say this. I went to DC on July 3rd for the first time and the stadium is so small and their support so good that the place was rocking."

2. neilgrossman

neilgrossman New Member

May 12, 2000
    Hoboken, NJ
    It doesn't say anything about another venue in the district.

I think he means there is an out clause for RFK that allows them to kick out DCU. I believe the other facility would be in PG County (FedEx or Byrd).

3. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    In the off chance this happens to be accurate, this could definitely impact things for next year.

Of course, after next week, and barring the Crew being upset by the Revs, there won't be any more soccer at RFK so team won't be "in the way" anymore till next spring. If they can't get the stadium ready by then, then it ain't gonna be United's fault.

4. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I'm responding to this quote in Fisher's responce...

"Since the city's contract with United allows the city to move the team to another facility if necessary."

Why doesn't he just say, "The city can terminate their contract with United whenever the f... they feel like it." ?

Can the city arbitrarilly move United to FedEx or Byrd Stadium? Don't think so...

Fisher's a putz and I could care less about what he wants or thinks.

5. Ombak

Ombak Moderator
    Staff Member

Flamengo
    Apr 19, 1999
    Irvine, CA
    Club:
    Flamengo Rio Janeiro
    Nat'l Team:
    Brazil
    Damn, bigsoccer bleeps the word some now?

6. DeKo21DCU

DeKo21DCU New Member

Aug 11, 2003
    VA
    I've tried telling him Chico. Haven't convinced him yet it seems.

7. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    I don't want a moderator on my case, so I bleeped it out myself

But yeah-the fact remains. I want to go to the game which makes me more likely to get **** :D

8. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Unless you get between him and his Capt'n... :eek:

9. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    I told ya I missed the last game didn't even check the boards. Been busy as h***. Heck, I think I've missed at least the last 2.

10. kravi

kravi Member

May 3, 2004
    Section 134
    Actually, DC can't kick United out of the stadium (or move them to an alternate venue). Mark Fisher thinks so because the contract states that United has the right to leave the stadium (and contract) without penalty if they feel that they can't get proper use out of it (ie can't work out a deal with the baseball diamond).

--kravi

11. BBBulldog

BBBulldog Moderator
    Staff Member

Jun 25, 2004
    Dinamo Zagreb
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Croatia
    I thought it bleeped *charged* :D

12. neilgrossman

neilgrossman New Member

May 12, 2000
    Hoboken, NJ
    I don't know how DC's contract is written, but it's possible RFK can kick them out but the stadium shares some financial responsiblity.

For example, RFK can send DCU to FedEx if RFK covers the difference in rent and gives DC some moving expenses.

I obviously have no idea how the contract is structured, but something like that may be a possibility according to what Fisher wrote.

13. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I doubt Fisher does either. I just take it as the ramblings of a poor misguided idiot who wants his way and is crying because all the big bad soccer people are in his way. Bottom line, the DCSEC has to tread lightly so as not to piss off Uncle Phil and his Billions when it comes time to build a SSS and help renovate a blighted area.

14. fatbastard

fatbastard Member+

Aug 1, 2003
    Lincoln (ish), Va
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't think us "being there" is an issue, I believe the issue (for him and his ilk) is that they are considering United's needs for next season in their planning for demolition/rebuilding.

I'll be impressed if they can get the damn digital thermometer replaced, it's said "..__ .." for two years :)

Yes, the scoreboards are a joke. I mean, they don't even show corner kicks, players with yellows, saves, who scored (and when), or anything :)

15. Claymore

Claymore Member

Jul 9, 2000
    Montgomery Vlg, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Fisher has fogotten that without United, RFK would have been a weed-choked outdoor crackhouse for the last ten years, at best.

16. Bill-DC

Bill-DC Member+

May 20, 2002
    As a result of soccer, DC has hosted matches for the '94 World Cup, the '96 Olympics and a lot of US Nats games.

17. Pints

Pints Member

Apr 21, 2004
    Charm City
    Folks, come on. You DO realise that the very fact this thread exists let alone has grown to 3 pages is giving the fvcktard a good amount of toilet stroking material?

Did anyone pick up on the use of The United in his response? Pure rubbish response from a guy who really loves getting folks riled up and unfortunately gets what he wants.

18. nancyb

nancyb Member

Jun 30, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    During the WC, Fisher had one of anti-soccer rants and Goff had an on-line chat the next day or so. I asked him about it and Goff said to ignore him, which I do week in and week out.

19. seahawkdad

seahawkdad Spoon!!!

Jun 2, 2000
    Lincoln, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just so they don't pull down our championship banners.:mad:

Wonder if the soccer ball clock will survive the transition or whether baseball will want to remove all soccer related material?

20. Funkfoot

Funkfoot Member+

May 18, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Last time this subject came up I said, "Who care what this douchebag thinks?" I think I'll just leave it at that.

21. NattyBo

NattyBo Member+

Apr 30, 2004
    Nunya
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    I like the way you think, my man.

22. roadkit

roadkit Greetings from the Fringe of Obscurity

Jul 2, 2003
    Fornax Cluster
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The problem people like Marc Fisher have is they are in D.C. and the teams in DC (NFL, NHL, and NBA) all suck - and have sucked for quite awhile. So then they see DC United and decide well, they probably suck too. The difference is, DC United fans don't give a sh!t what Mark Fisher thinks. As a matter of fact, in about 5 minutes when I drop his clone in the toilet, I'm not going to worry how long he can tread water. I'll just say "buh-by," and drop the handle.

23. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    #1: I hope RFK security doesn't catch you next year, actually I hope the camera or myself don't catch you

#2: Fisher ought to put up or shut up about the DC out clause. I haven't seen any proof it's that way. IF United also have an out clause, is that worth mentioning too then.

#3: Don't click on Fisher's articles online, just makes him look more popular and worth keeping

#4: Goff gives the best day to day coverage I've seen for MLS. I've traced back transactions for all teams using newspaper archives and Goff gives the most consistent, in depth coverage. Throughout MLS's history, I challenge anyone to show me what other team has a local writer that has a better sum of work. That the Post publish it should get them some credit even if I don't like the rest of the paper.

#5: Tell them to come watch DC to see Moreno, Esky, and Nelsen play. If they don't like it, then for now their not meant to watch MLS. A shame, but what can we do.

#6: I don't believe in irate emails but if emails help educate a sports writer then its worth it. If they can actually gain us info like about this "out clause" then good. I don't think it matters anyway. More emails promotes more slams. But I'll take any plubicity for MLS.

#7: Fortunately I think we just have to wait for the current generation of sports writers to be replaced. I don't think the kids today will have the same attitudes in 10-20 years when they're working for the major papers. Just my opinion and I don't think the older writers will ever change. Why would they want to actually learn how to follow soccer when they can just belittle it with cheap shots. They're set in their ways, not going to lose their jobs over it, so let's just rest assured they won't be around forever and mostly ignore them unless they need correction on the facts.

#8: Will DC baseball attendance be that much better than DC United's? I know 81 games vs 15, but the operating cost is per game in many ways.

24. swedcrip34

swedcrip34 New Member

Mar 17, 2004
    Great point. Faced with the recent Redskins, Caps, and Wizards, shouldn't they embrace the local team that has won championships more recently?

25. United_Caps_Fan

United_Caps_Fan New Member

Apr 25, 2004
    Alexandria,VA 134/35
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

They f'ing PLAY the game, and they cant, wont, or dont get interested in pro soccer in the US even with one of the worlds most well known clubs right in thier own back yard? I dont understand THAT at all. What kind of league do you play in and what is wrong with most of them?

I kick a ball around some... have played a couple of "pick up" style games, and officiated a couple matches too.. so that would probably make them more "into" soccer than I am, yet I have been a diehard DCU supporter since day one. I dont get that.

I play ice hockey, I have since I was about 9. Of course I got involved in hockey because of being taken to a Caps game for the first time when i was I think 7 years old it was. But still.. I play that sport, and Im into and support the local pro club. I just dont get why someone who plays the sport wouldnt be into being a fan of the pro club in thier own freakin back yard. Incredible.

Is it just the "big 4" sports mentality that most Americans have? In my mind, Americans, and the US as a whole needs to get off its collective ass and catch up w/ the rest of the world, because last I checked soccer was the single most popular sport on the planet. Or do "we" just think were too good for it and our sh!t dont stink? Maybe its not "Macho" or "manly" enough? RIIIGHT. Who knows, but I susupect those are probably at least part of it. :eek:

That is just awesome! :D