A little slam from a Post writer

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by rickinva, Oct 21, 2004.

1. rickinva

rickinva Member

Feb 8, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    As quoted from today's Washington Post chat with Mark Fisher:

Washington, D.C.: So, any word on when we might be getting a name for our baseball team? I want to get some logo gear!

Marc Fisher: Things are finally starting to get moving on baseball. I just came back from a morning at RFK Stadium, where the ballpark planners showed reporters what has been done and what needs to be done to get the place in shape.
    They had home plate installed on the field and it looked marvelous. But that place needs a load of work. You can't even see a pop fly from the press box. The scoreboard is a joke. And sadly, the city seems to be treating the soccer tenant as an equal to baseball rather than showing them a nice high school or college field where they can play their games.

2. John_Harkes_6

John_Harkes_6 New Member

Mar 29, 2000
    Baltimore, MD.
    Hell - that is great news. This is the first real evidence that DCU will be treated as equals - if this moron came away with that impression than it is more than likely true.

Will we get all we want - of course not, but its a start.

3. rickinva

rickinva Member

Feb 8, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    I know the news is good about being an equal tenant, it was the assumption from Mark Fisher that we deserved less that stood out to me.

4. K

K BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 16, 1999
    DC, Fake America
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He's a donkey who seems to get his rocks off getting tons of emails from pissed off soccer fans. I say let it go so he can't have his fun.

K

5. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Agreed.

Poor Mark Fisher, he just hasn't seen the light. Sometimes people must be shown the light. Hmmmm, anyone have that Mark Fisher guy's email address? ;)

-Digital

6. bigbrooklynlou

bigbrooklynlou New Member

Oct 7, 2004
    Brooklyn, NY
    Damn Liberal media bias. ....

7. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I'm going to go over to his house on Halloween and smash his pumpkin. :D

8. writered21

writered21 Member+

Jul 14, 2001
    Middle of the Road
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marc Fisher: If you don't get it, you don't get it.

9. vladsta

vladsta Member

Jan 11, 2002
    that's his typical junk. he does it on other issues as well, not just soccer.
    seems like everytime i read his piece he's trying to piss off someone. probably compensating for being crappy reporter...

fvck him, just ignore it...

10. MeridianFC

MeridianFC Member

Jul 26, 1999
    Washington, DC USA
    The city seems to be treating Mark Fisher like an actual journalist instead of a hack and shoving some press release in his hands.

11. revelation

revelation Member+

Dec 17, 1998
    FC St. Pauli
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    I stopped reading Mark Fisher a long time ago...but I really like to hear that DC United is actually being treated as a partner and not being shunted aside.

:)

12. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    There's plenty of Mark Fischer's around. Heck I'm in 2 soccer leagues and most of the PLAYERS there I know could almost care less about DC United.

If DC United wants to stay competitive, it's best to keep coming up with reasons for people to come to the game. The loss of Diablo hurt attendance. Freddy Adu helped but obviously nobody's coming to see him nearly as much. Sure the team's winning, but I don't see an increase in attendance from it. All the games look pretty much the same anyways-I've never been for parity.

Baseball has superstars like Bonds, Pujols, Randy Johnson, Roger Clemens, on and on. I suspect it's going to be easier to convince someone to go to a baseball game. Heck, I might even be more likely to get **** when I bring a girl. :D

And if you think otherwise-I've done this countless times-I ask someone to come to the game, and I'd like YOU to tell me how I should market United to them. I get a little tired of saying "Have you heard of Freddy Adu?" and he doesn't even get to play much.

The idea that soccer'll get equal treatment is ridiculous-it won't happen.

Thanks for the speech, I'm in a whiny mood :D

13. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    He did something similar a while back dealing with attendance saying "all 17 fans" of DCU will be upset when baseball comes. I sent him a poite e-mail saying that if he was going to be a neanderthal, he should get his facts straight and at least have the proper attendance.

He replied that he knew what it was and just wanted to provoke a reaction.

Dick. I prefer people with real hatred instead of those doing it just to get attention.

14. URwormfood

URwormfood Member

Mar 24, 2004
    6 feet under: LOT 8
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ahhh.....I feel a good old bag-o-buring-poop....ring the bell and run may need to be done for this twit!!

~~Worm~~

15. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    DCU in 2004 - 17,232
    DCU in 2003 - 15,565

16. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    I market the tailgates, the comraderie, the atmosphere and the sheer fun and passion you feel once you get to the stadium. This has added at least 10 new members to the Barra over the last few seasons.

17. bbsbt

bbsbt Member+

Feb 26, 2003
    We should never reply to soccer-negative articles! It's self-defeatist; the more we write, the more the scumbags are inclined to continue writing negatively.

Best course of action: only reply to soccer-positive stories.

18. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Right, being a Barra Brava member you get all that.

I do talk about the supporters' groups once I get them to the game!! The uninitiated always seem curious about what's going on there. Questions like What's "Barra Brava"? Why are they (La Norte) throwing toilet paper on the field? Why are the stands bouncing? On and on..........hilariously simple questions

19. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia
    Well then, bring them (and yourself) over to a tailgate. We're pretty friendly people. :)

20. Darth Norteño

Darth Norteño With Buddha In My Fists

The Arsenal
    Wales
    Dec 9, 2003
    laceyforest.arl.va
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    The way I see it (as irrationally as I see things), every sports writer the Post has is a hack (minus Steven Goff, or course :D). They all have this myopic four-sport view with an emphasis on the Redskins and a penchant for needlessly trashing soccer that's just repulsive. I support all local teams, but I am sick of nimrods like Mark Fisher slamming soccer and getting props for it.

21. Bill-DC

Bill-DC Member+

May 20, 2002
    Goff should head over to Fisher's cubicle and kick the snot out of him. I can see that little pansy in his chair with his legs up and his hands covering his face now.

22. BudWiser

BudWiser New Member

Jul 17, 2000
    Falls Church, VA
    Thanks! Hey have you ever heard of a guy named "Rudy?" I heard he sometimes hangs out w/the Barra-he's a rather "popular" guy in one of my 2 leagues :D

23. rickinva

rickinva Member

Feb 8, 2002
    Fairfax, VA
    So I'll admit to being one of those people that e-mails the writers when I read something inaccurate or misleading, so of course I did that in this case. After reading the chat, I emailed Fisher, and pointed out his attendance figures were wrong, and asked him why we should move given our contract and history at RFK. I got a response, and it in was something I had not heard before.

Rick,
    Thanks for your note and for the attendance numbers. The RFK staff gave
    us the 16,000 number this morning, but I'm glad to have a more accurate
    one.

I'm glad the city has a soccer team, but I see the city giving it far
    too much attention in what they say is going to be a very tight and
    difficult drive to get RFK ready for the Senators/Expos. Since the city's contract with the United allows the District to move the team to another
    facility if necessary
    , and since the attendance numbers are so low, it seems to me that for the first year at least, it would make sense to ease the pressure on RFK and move soccer to a more suitable venue.

Thanks very much for writing and for reading the chat.

Best,

Marc Fisher
    The Washington Post

24. CHICO13

CHICO13 Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 4, 2001
    SECTION 135
    Club:
    The Strongest La Paz
    Nat'l Team:
    Bolivia