A Little Pre Pre-Match thread for SJ next week... [R]

Discussion in 'D.C. United' started by Th4119, Aug 24, 2002.

1. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    With San Jose's goalie Joe Cannon getting ejected in the 90th minute today in their 3-0 loss to Colorado, it means that he won't be available for selection against DC next week.

If we can take it to the Metrosucks tomorrow, there should be no reason we can't beat the E-quakes, who are miserable on the road even with their starting goalie.

2. Cweedchop

Cweedchop Member+

Mar 6, 2000
    Ellicott City, Md
    With United's finishing problems of late, you could put Mini-Me in goal and it wouldn't make a difference..

Conway is a decent keeper and has beaten us at RFK before so Cannon not playing is a non-factor IMHO...

3. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    I'd rather have a rusty back up than a seasoned starter just featured in Sports Illustrated, but maybe that's just me. We scored 2 goals the last time we went out, and it's yet to be seen whether or not that was a sign of things to come or a fluke, but I think it was the first.

4. McOwen

McOwen Member

Jun 13, 2000
    Retirement Community
    Club:
    Nottingham Forest FC
    I think General Patton said it best on this... The Metrostars game is Sunday at 4pm.

"If we are not VICTORIOUS, then let no one come back alive!"
    [​IMG]

I believe that is the Hudson River he is pissing into, to his immediate right... :)

5. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    Amen!

ps-

DC United-3
    San Jose-1

6. DigitalTron

DigitalTron New Member

Apr 4, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Conway may be good, but I still prefer to have him in goal than Cannon. It's kinda hard to believe we have Seth Trembly to thank for that ... he isn't even a forward for goodness sake.

-Tron

7. luvsuperbobby15

luvsuperbobby15 New Member

Mar 28, 2002
    los angeles, CA
    san jose is on their way into a downward spiral. landon donovan is playing like crap. it looks like a great time for dc united to get more points and make it into the playoffs.

8. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    I don't know if SJ is on a downward spiral like the metros are but they sure aren't the league dominating best team that they were in the beginning of the season. Especially away from home they are vulnerable. No longer are they my favorites for MLS Cup. (It's up for grabs IMO.) Cannon's ejection is an example of their mounting frustration.

9. detter7

detter7 New Member

Jun 14, 2000
    PA
    SJ's game with Colorado was ugly and embarassing for the Quakes. They really don't have much to play for since they're in the play-offs. I have a good feeling about next week.

10. Th4119

Th4119 Member

Jul 26, 2001
    Annandale, VA
    That and the fact that the goalie who is suspended is unbeaten in 6 games against United. I like our odds too.

11. ursula

ursula Member

Feb 21, 1999
    Republic of Cascadia
    I'd say that the Quakes better hope they keep home field advantage cause they are a very average team away from that farce of a field. Teams that can expect to win at home vs the Quakes: LA, C-bus, Dallas, Colorado, Kansas City. LA can now have resasonable expectations in beating them at home now too. Folks that's half the league and most of the playoff teams and we haven't played them yet. I'd say they have a lot to play for. Unlike Chicago, the Quakes are built for the small field. They can't afford to let LA and/or Dallas move ahead of them for the supporters shield.

12. bigredfutbol

bigredfutbol Moderator
    Staff Member

Sep 5, 2000
    Woodbridge, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They really didn't look all that BAD, let's face it...just not dominating. I don't see them as a team falling apart, just a team that is all too beatable.

Cannon being gone won't be decisive, but it can't hurt.

We outplayed them last week, and now they're coming here...Bottom line, though, is that they strike me as a team that isn't firing on all cylanders. They could get a tune-up at any time, let's not forget. They're struggling, sure, but the pieces of a formidable team are still there. We should respect them--but not so much that we're not willing to kick them when they're down!

But first, the Metrostars. First things first.

13. PumaJohnny

PumaJohnny Member

Nov 30, 2001
    Draper
    Club:
    Real Salt Lake
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    we'll win both

DC will beat both the Metros and the Quakes.

We're playing better than the Metrostars are right now, and a full game from Ben will work wonders.

SJ has no reason to play hard anymore, and we should take that one too.

14. Topo

Topo Member

Feb 15, 2001
    So Conway gets to take the nap instead of Cannon. I don't know if it makes that much difference. Even if Agoos can't go again next week.

15. chales

chales Member

May 21, 2001
    Sunnyvale
    I don't know what it is with the Quakes right now. All this year I thought that any team in the league can win any game and, for the most part, it has been true. It has been all about rythm this year. But in all reality, no team has been able to get one. No team has had a winning streak--it still is only 2 games right?

Last wednesday the quakes played awesome soccer and won 3-1 (should have been more honestly) against the Burn. The quakes were up for that game bigtime! Then they play the rapids and look completely like a different team.

I really don't know what to expect from the quakes. Maybe not having goose and Troy Dayak in there take away our leadership or something, causing the quakes to be strong at home in front of the home crowd but lack their game away because they don't have that leader.

Even after we won against Dallas 3-1, I posted in the Rapids' board that I was taking them seriously. The quakes haven't been consistent enough for my liking and I am saying again that I wouldn't be surprised if we lose to you guys on Saturday. Coupled with a Dallas win and we are in second, maybe tied third place depending on LA also. Maybe it will be a wake up call and push us harder. Who knows. I wouldn't mind if we played a little worse (just a little worse) at home and picked up our away game.

16. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    I couldn't find anything about this but will Moreno be back this weekend?