A little off topic (group advancements - yes/no?)

Discussion in 'GROUP B: Portugal, Spain, Iran, Morocco' started by Jonathan Pimentel, May 22, 2018.

1. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Not sure where to post this.. but seeing as this group is the most active, i think this would be an ideal place to discuss this..

Below is a list of teams i believe will either advance out of the group, or not advance from the group. I am selecting strictly one team per group.

Group A - Saudi Arabia NO
    Group B - Portugal YES (i will ignore the Moroccons and Iranians hatred towards this answer)
    Group C - Peru NO (Australia NO is another good option IMO)
    Group D - Iceland NO
    Group E - Costa Rica NO
    Group F - Mexico YES
    Group G - Tunisia NO
    Group H - Poland YES (Japan NO is a close 2nd for me)

Just looking for general opinions on how my predictions will fare come a few weeks time..

verde-rubro repped this.
  2. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    is there a reason why you chose portugal instead of spain as advancing from group b?

zahzah repped this.
  3. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    I believe both Spain and Portugal will advance. However, when looking at odds, it simply makes more sense to take Portugal.

If you notice, i also decided to take Mexico instead of Germany

Any opinions on the selections themselves?

verde-rubro repped this.
  4. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Yeah...no... No one would put Portugal's chances over Spains.

5. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Jesus.... no one said that. If you read my response to a fellow posters question, you would have obtained the reason for my selection of Portugal over Spain.. and also Mexico over Germany..

thanks though..appreciate your response.

verde-rubro repped this.
  6. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    not really.. i dont think anybody knows why you chose the teams you did. care to explain explicitly why you chose portugal if you indeed are saying that portugal does not have a higher chance than spain to go through?

i dont know.. this whole thread seems like a veiled attempt at trolling. the fact that you chose to post it in group b, then wrote what you did in brackets after portugal. it smells like bacalhau to me.

7. Perspolis#1

Perspolis#1 Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Group A- Saudi is going to have to play out of its mind and body to overcome Uruguay, Egypt, and Russia(esp host favoritism)..

Group B- What odds are you seeing that state Portugal has better chances than Spain?

Group C- Peru has shown itself to be quite strong contrary to european opinion, beating Iceland and Croatia I don't see why you think they can't take on Denmark/Australia.

Group D- Yeah pretty much. Because even if Argentina fails, Nigeria/Croatia are going through

Group E- Depends on if Serbia shows up. Also Switzerland's parked bus is just as much a burden as a strength.

Group F- 75% odds I put. Although Mexicans, should not forget how rigid Sweden's defense can be.

Group G- Why Tunisia? Panama not going through is the safest bet. Most of their good players are above 32. Known to be choppy like Honduras of World cups past. Cant they keep up physically. Otherwise they might get gassed/red carded a lot by their last game vs Tunisia. You are asking a very old squad to play against Belgium/England back to back(sides that rely on physicality).

8. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Ok, i will be completely honest. I thought the way i formulated it and explained it after one of the first questions explained everything.

This is for those interested in placing a bet. a parlay.

when i say Portugal has better odds then say Spain for example, i can get Portugal to advance at -450, or Spain at -1200. The books suggest Spain is the clear favourite, however for someone such as myself who believes Portugal will also advance, clearly i will take the -450 as opposed to the -1200.

I hope this explains my reason for some team selections now.

It has nothing to do with my thinking any of the 'yes' selections have a better chance then say Spain/Germany.

verde-rubro repped this.
  9. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

C.S.Maritimo + Liverpool FC
    Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    don't worry bud, it just some of the guys here you need to do a 2 page essay for it to sink in every one else knew what you meant

Jonathan Pimentel repped this.
  10. persianfootball

persianfootball Member+

Aug 5, 2004
    outside your realm
    not everyone is a mind reader like you lol. this is what he said:

that implies that he is choosing the most sure team to either advance or not advance from each group. it was literally impossible to guess what he meant by his first post.

zahzah repped this.
  11. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    i see

:ROFLMAO:

12. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    His explanation doesn't make much sense either.

13. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    Man, where does it say the most sure team to advance? i simply selected a team i believe will either advance, or not advance and just because i chose Portugal, does not mean either Spain, Iran, or Morocco could not advance with them.. i simply took A TEAM i believe will advance.

This isnt rocket science.

I think its best we just forget about the original post, it was obviously way to complex for some.

verde-rubro repped this.
  14. Jonathan Pimentel

Aug 29, 2013
    Club:
    SL Benfica
    lol... what does not make sense about my explanation?

wow... just forget it.

Enjoy the WC man.

15. zahzah

zahzah Member+

Jun 27, 2011
    Club:
    FK Crvena Zvezda Beograd
    Fun game, dude.

16. verde-rubro

verde-rubro Member+

Portugal
    Jan 15, 2005
    LONDON
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Portugal
    there are too many Mr Pintos in this forum

artielange84 and Jonathan Pimentel repped this.