A little Help from our "friends" ...please (R)

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by Raoul, Aug 24, 2002.

1. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    We got our first help in the conference race from the Revs. Revs shock the Fire 2-1 in Crappyville.

We can take the title and a little help never hurts.
    Homefield advantage and the conference look to go hand in hand this year.

This could easily go to the last game in the Fire's Crappyville field. We need to end it before that happens. Congrats and thanks to the Revs!

2. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    of course, if we had beat colorado, we'd be 3 or 6 points ahead of chicago, but hopefully in the end, that game at colorado won't matter.

3. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Let's just go ahead and assume that NY,Chi, and us all make the playoffs and its between us for the #2 seed or 7th and 8th (all hypothetical). Let's look at remaining schedules:

Crew:
    New England, @ San Jose, Chicago, @ Chicago

Fire:
    @ Kansas City, Los Angeles, @ Columbus, Columbus

Metros:
    DC, @ Los Angeles, @ Dallas, DC, @ DC, @ New England

The Metros suck at home and rule on the road... its unfortunate that they have 4 of 6 remaining games on the road and their two home games are against DC. I think they could probably take 12 of 18 points. Giving them 41 points.

The Fire can probably beat KC and tie LA, and I think I'd be please to get the same from NE and SJ... although we owe SJ for that win they stole from us early in the season. But if the Crew split the home & home with the Fire, then we each get 7 points, putting us all at 41 points.

At this point, we have to hope that DC starts showing some form. They looked better the other weekend in SJ. I hope they can steal some points from the Metros and help it just come down to us and the Fire.

4. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    Nice analysis KK.

We need some help from KC & LA to get where we want to be going into the home & away series vs. the flamers. The metros get big mama & Clinthino on the field together today for the first time, but their problem is D. I don't think the Metros can catch either of the leaders.

That means we need help from KC & LA + wins on our part. The flamers would appear to have a big advantage @Crappyville -- go gal;axy.

5. AndrewGK

AndrewGK New Member

Apr 12, 1999
    Dublin, Ohio, USA
    Well, the DCUnited Scum couldn't help us out today. They lost 1-0 to the MetroStars today.

With that said, Chicago and Columbus are STILL tied atop the Eastern Conference, however the Cabbies are only 2 points back, and they have a game in hand over the Fire and Crew.

DCU appears to be quite dead now.

6. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    Yeah, but they still looked better. They may still have some gas in the tank -- especially as they're so young.

GOD it's hard to cheer for a DC win!

7. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    easier than a fire win, though.

8. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess the only good thing is that DC was strong and didn't give up a goal until 2nd half stoppage time. At least they were close to another 0-0 draw. Damn!

9. TheFallen29

TheFallen29 New Member

Nov 25, 2001
    New York City
    Not a troll, I swear. :)

I wish I could give you an accurate indicator of how we'll do, but based on today, don't expect the Scum to do any favors for you...even down there. Today's game was awful from both sides, but in the epic battle of wills to see who can suck more, United won handily. I think it's safe to say we beat them at home again, and draw down there.

We did play semi-well offensively...we got through their defense often enough, but nobody wanted to actually shoot the ball. Oh, and if our wonderful gaffer ever actually started Mathis up front, we'd be a lot more dangerous (just ask Nick Rimando and the rest of his teammates).

On the other hand, Dallas has tortured us all season, and I don't see us beating them. We've had success against the Galaxy (including a very easy 5-0 win at the swamp), so who knows?

Oh, and for what it's worth, our defense played pretty well today (including marked improvement from Petke and Jolley)...not that United is much of a test for them, but still.

10. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    Should LA beat the Rotmasters, we should all pitch in and buy Fat Sigi a semitrailer full of food....

11. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm

When did ManUre get involved in the division race?

12. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I found myself cheering for the Metros in that game sunday. I just want DC dead and burried, The Metros don't really concern me. They got game in hand and they are two points behind us, but they got outplayed for most that game by DC. I'll be very suprised if the metros do anything in the playoffs.
    I'm just hoping that the Revs all the sudden aren't gettin it together. Hopefully our boys get them back for that awful loss earlier this year.

13. hangthadj

hangthadj Member+

A.S. Roma
    Mar 27, 2001
    Zone 14
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Let me also mention its fun as hell to read the DC boards right now. Man oh man are they pissed off, and with good reason.

14. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    No offense, but looking better on D vs. DC is possibly more hope than substance. We'll see vs. Dallas, but I am concerned about Clinthino moving back into the scoring mode.

You only have to win by 1 and you guys could take a big offensive move up when everyone gets healthy. Who cares if it's 5-4.

The Crew need to clinch at home vs. the flamers to win IMO. I can't see us going into the last game, vs. the flamers, in Crappyville, on the JC fake grass pitch, and coming out with a Victory. Tie maybe, but we can't be in a position to need a W to get the titile.

15. TheFallen29

TheFallen29 New Member

Nov 25, 2001
    New York City
    Fair enough...but, keep in mind, we're 9 up on DC with 5 games left to go. We play them twice more, and New England once. If Dallas and the Galaxy beat us...so be it. It'll be more fun to march into the playoffs on the backs of our hated rivals anyway (and, it's a successful season for us if we're in the playoffs and DC isn't. Sod 'em).

As for you guys, the Fire are in injury hell, aren't they? Hell, if the freaking Revolution can beat them, why can't you?

16. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    Wolfe appears to be gone for the year, but Novak has an MCL sprain and could/should be back...sometime. The Fire are mentally much tougher when Novak & Hristo are both really in the game. Their attitude is contagious -- the whole team develops a swagger and plays more confidently.

17. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
  18. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    OK, gimme the odds we tie and move into first and move ahead of the Metros. Hard to believe KC and DC both carry the waqter for us!

19. kaiser kraut

kaiser kraut New Member

Jun 26, 2001
    Indianapolis
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    After tonight I have no idea what might happen in the next few weeks.

DC beats SJ
    KC beats CHI
    LA beats NY

IMO, all of these are good results, however...
    we spanked KC 4-0 the other day, but now they beat CHI, who we have to face twice in our remaining 3 games, and DC beat our next opp. We won 3 of 4 this season against DC. I can't honestly believe that through circular reasoning that we should win our 3 remaining games. What is going on?

We should have won tonight!

20. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    One thing that should happen: the Crew better take a crash course in man management...

21. Raoul

Raoul New Member

Sep 19, 1999
    Downtown Dublin
    No doubt about it. Our subs were neither timely nor well tactically conceived IMO. Cunningham and McB have never been a good pair to start the game and we subbed too late and the wrong guys.

BUT, the DC scum came through and KC got back on track to make give us a 1 pt steal. We can still make 41 before the game at the Flamers...