A Little Advise, Please

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by Amazon Dad, Sep 17, 2003.

1. Amazon Dad

Amazon Dad New Member

Sep 17, 2003
    Manaus Brazil
    Gentlemen and Ladies too,
    Excuse my jumping in here, but I am desperate for your help.

I am an american pop living in So. America, sense 1986.
    Baseball was my game back when, so am not keen on this sport.
    How ever my Brazilian adopted son now 17, has lived with the spotted ball sense birth.
    He is considered amoung his Brazilian peers here in Manaus as pro-stuff.

I don't know, but can say when we lived in Peru earlier, a Peruvian pro team there offered him , a contract, school, and living. He being only 15 at the time, I dis-allowed, believing school was more pressing.

My question?;
    Could anyone advise me as to how to go about seeking a contact to some GOOD soccer school there, a scolarship, or pro contact.
    Being here in the Amazon, I do not have great access to info?

Secondly, what is advise, as to get the boy a chance in our american system, as he lives, eats, and plays this sport.
    I really can't say, as I know little of the game, but all I can say he consistantly scores more goals than often the whole team during any one game.

I got him an inside pass with the Brazil National team who played Equador here in Manaus the other day.
    He bumped shoulders in the warm-up game with some of the Brazil boys, and they told me to go get him some contacts, as he was real stuff.

So if any of you would take the time to e mail me with some advise, it would be greatly appreciated, and "just perhaps" we jointly could give the boy a chance, his shot, as he has lived, dreamed and trained for all his life for the sport.

This has not anything to do with the fact I have raised the boy for the last 12 years, I have just watched his passion develope.

When he was 5 years old, he got himself a job, washing the team jerseys, for a local simi-pro team in Rorima Brazil, so he could learn and participate.
    I watched one full year as he sweated his little butt off, keeping those shirts clean so he could be there in training.

The kid deserves a shot, I just have NO IDEA how to get it for him?
    Thanks, for your time and any help you may wish to give.

In Manaus,
    "amazon dad"

2. Brrca Fan redded

Brrca Fan redded Red Card

Aug 6, 2002
    Chasing Tornadoes.
    Hello. Just forward your letter to major league soccer or they might put you in touch with project-40 people, sounds like MLS might give him a try out. Good luck.

3. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually, I doubt that's the way to do it. I'm not sure I have a better alternative, but I don't think that particular course is it.

If you have access to the internet -w hich you seem to - it's easy to explore many options. It's unclear whether you want your son to play in Brazil, Peru or the U.S. There are opportunities in all those countries but I don't know the best way to explore them. Hopefully someone will come along and provide better info.

4. supa

supa New Member

Mar 15, 2000
    united states
    another thought would be to recontact the peruvian professional club that initially offered your son a contract when he was 15. i'm not sure what kind of response you'll get, but i think it would be worth trying.

if you want your son to develop the game in united states, one thought is to see if your son can attend college in the united states. if your son has talent and it sounds like he does, then there's probably a division I soccer coach out there that would love to have your son on his team. now, ncaa soccer definitely has its critics, in particular regarding limiting player development, but college soccer has produced highly talented players that have gone to professional careers (clint mathis, damani ralph, andy williams, ben olsen, etc.) and college soccer has increasingly served as a springboard for players to enter in the professional leagues in the united states. furthermore, he would have the opportunity to receive an education and earn a degree. it's not exacty a straight path, but it is an option that can serve 2 purposes.

5. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Marcel Figer is one of the biggest agents in Brazil. IMG is the world's largest sports agency. They're U.S.-based so they'll know about the American options, but they're international enough to handle a move back to South America or Europe, too. Or, if he starts playing for a pro team locally, and his performance holds up against that competition, it will only be a matter of time. That seems to be the most-travelled route in Brazil.

6. condor11

condor11 Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 2, 2002
    New Zealand
    he mentioned the club was from the abancay region
    there is no first division team from that region
    so that means the club is probably from the second division

peruvian first division teams have big money problems i hate to see what the second divisions econmic problems are

7. Jose L. Couso

Jose L. Couso New Member

Jul 31, 2000
    Arlington, VA
    I think picking an American option is well advised, considering that many things could go wrong.

Nobody can take an education degree away. Maybe he can even get one connected with sports.

Good luck.

8. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    Wait a second -- wouldn't signing with an agent prevent him from accepting a NCAA scholarship? My (limited) understanding is that it would (could be wrong, though).

I don't really know what I'm talking about here, Amazon Dad, but it seems the biggest obstacle you face is your location. It's pretty hard for anybody involved in US Soccer to see what your son has. Do you have a tape of him? Can you make a tape of him and send it colleges/teams here in the states? I would think that would be a start.

I'm sure somebody will come along here soon with better/more concrete ideas. There are probably better forums to float this, though. I would post this in the college forum and the youth soccer forum. The people there are probably more likely to have better ideas.

9. Amazon Dad

Amazon Dad New Member

Sep 17, 2003
    Manaus Brazil
    A Bunch of thanks, Men!

I wish to thank you all for your responses !

Re what is Project-40? Please

I have contacted IMG sports accadamy in Fla. Thanks

I and he desires to complete education, and a shot to intergrate with a good team for sometime for farther skills evaluations.
    Both those can only be done in the states I believe.

National south american pro players often earn a good gas station attendent wage if they are fortunate. Sad but true. While some have grabbed the big ring, and perhaps do not deserve the opertunity, as well as less fortunate, but better jocks, Agreed?

We all have to accept what is thrown to us, and hope we don't miss the throw.

I am going to TRY to get some film footage recorded of the lad soon.
    Can anyone advise how to send, and to whom??????

As mentioned, he will not be signing any agents just yet, untill better evaluations are done, thanks too.

Thanks guys, and any farther advise will be greatly appreciated.
    Remember the Name Atiala Moto, (That is port. for Atlas)
    Some day perhaps we can recall these posts and times while he goes for the Cup???????
    Wish him Luck, and again thanks to all.
    Am-Dad, in Brazil.

10. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    AmazonDad you say your american, i wonder if you could travel back to USA and take your son to that Academy in Florida. Once there i belive you will get all the help you need . Education seems to be on your mind and your son could get that in the states plus soccer schooling. As a dad myself i would want the best for my kid's future and i have a feeling you are leaning toward America, does your son feel the same way ? would he come here or his dream is to play in Brazil ,Peru of course you have to consider his wishes as well.

All the best to you on this road, your a great Dad

11. supa

supa New Member

Mar 15, 2000
    united states
    project 40 is a joint effort between the us soccer federation and major league soccer for player development-->the us soccer federation website(www.ussoccer.com) has a page gives an indepth description of project 40. best of luck for both you and your son. and hopefully we will get to see him on play in the future.