A list of all time great players, and the pantheon of greatest ever

Discussion in 'The Beautiful Game' started by Tom Stevens, Mar 27, 2020.

1. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    I'm curious about this. It's not my intention create some animosity here, so, if you want, can send a PM.

About South American keepers around 1972-79. I think, the clear top two, were Fillol and Gatti.

Behind them, there's a bunch with the likes of Carnevali (a couple of good years in Argentina and also Spain), Leao (very consistent, only having NT competition at mid 70s), Almeida (great at late 70s), Zape (very good at NT/club at 2nd half 70s), Cejas (still a very good keeper in that era) and Marín (#1 of good keepers playing in Mexico).

Perú FC and Tom Stevens repped this.
  2. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member+

Dec 12, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    What are your thought on Nelinho and Chagas?

3. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member+

Dec 12, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Yeah looking closer at Leao maybe it is the correct idea that he was just a good player on sucsesful teams, not a great player driving the success. Only one time Bolo de Prata.
    '
    Do you have any thoughts/information on Ancheta's time in Brazil outside of 1973 winning Bolo de Oro?

4. msioux75

msioux75 Member+

Jan 8, 2006
    Lima, Peru
    I had the idea, Nelinho wasn't great defensively, I mean, not a balanced defender. I see peruvian Oblitas toying with him at CA 1975 (when Nelinho was in his prime)

I'm also curious what happened with Marinho after his great WC? He seems playing few matches at Brasilerao after that.

I agree, with what you said in his profile, some posts ago.

5. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member+

Dec 12, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    He seems to be a very offensive player. Old clips show him popping up all over in attacking areas for Cruziero like a box to box midfielder, not even really limited to the side of the pitch. Fantastic shooting from many locations, but I can imagine he was not much of a defender.

6. Ariaga II

Ariaga II Member

Dec 8, 2018
    I'm talking about taking spots from Europe (always) and handing them out to African and Asian summer tourists. This at a time when standards were improving in Europe and there were more competitive teams than ever.

7. Gregoriak

Gregoriak BigSoccer Supporter

Feb 27, 2002
    Munich
    Branko Oblak had to do his military service in Yugoslavia in 1974 and 1975 and was only released to perform for the national team, not the club. This was also the reason for his late arrival in Germany in autumn 1975.

Titanlux and Tom Stevens repped this.
  8. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member+

Dec 12, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    One thing to try to clarify on the seven season criteria for all time great is that the requirement is not for seven world class seasons.

I termed it as seven seasons of significant positive contribution. Significant positive contribution can be reflected by being an important part of a team winning things at a domestic level, playing well enough to earn caps for your country, contributing in continental competitions etc. Basically the player is playing at a high enough level to be contributing to his teams success at a high level of competition. For players in smaller domestic leagues it may be necessary to have some type of contribution in continental competitions or with the national team, where players in bigger leagues with players from round the world may be able to qualify based only on domestic competition if the contribution to winning is strong enough (being an important part of a title winning team etc).

So that may not be perfectly clear but I would say the level of contribution for seven seasons is below "world class".

World Class is the term I would use to describe the requirement for the 4-5 run required for the pantheon in addition to 10 seasons of "significant positive contribution" and a peak level approaching the best player in the world.

Perú FC and Titanlux repped this.
  9. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member+

Dec 12, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    As of now these are the changes I will make to 70-76

Added: Heynckes, Hughes, Nelinho, Oblak

Removed: Leao

Pantheon: Removed Viktor, Rivellino, Maier

Titanlux repped this.
  10. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member+

Dec 12, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    13) Zico, Platini, and English Club Dominance ~ 1976-1986

Country

West Germany (9)
    Italy (8)
    France (7)
    Brazil (6)
    Argentina (5)
    Netherlands (5)
    England (5)
    Belgium (4)
    Denmark (4)
    Austria (3)
    Scotland (3)
    Soviet Union (3)
    Spain (3)
    Czechoslovakia (2)
    Poland (1)
    Republic of Ireland (1)
    Colombia (1)
    Wales (1)

Club

Juventus (10)
    Liverpool (6)
    Roma (5)
    Real Madrid (4)
    Bayern Munich (4)
    Internazionale (4)
    Anderlecht (3)
    Bordeaux (3)
    B. Monchengladbach (3)
    Barcelona (3)
    Sampdoria (3)
    Saint Etienne (3)
    Koln (3)
    River Plate (3)
    Tottenham (3)
    Ajax (3)
    Napoli (2)
    Valencia (2)
    Hamburg (2)
    Standard Liege (2)
    Hellas Verona (2)
    Manchester United (2)
    Rapid Vienna (2)
    PSV (2)
    Flamengo (2)
    Udinese (2)
    Southampton (2)
    Fiorentina (2)
    Kaiserslautern (1)
    Independiente (1)
    Sevilla (1)
    Torino (1)
    Pescara (1)
    Celtic (1)
    Atletico Mineiro (1)
    Dynamo Moscow (1)
    Spartak Moscow (1)
    Lokeren (1)
    Lyon (1)
    Huracan (1)
    Arsenal (1)
    Stuttgart (1)
    Real Betis (1)
    Corinthians (1)
    Nottingham Forest (1)
    Internacional (1)
    PSG (1)
    Widzew Lodz (1)
    Vasco da Gama (1)
    Real Sociedad (1)
    Monaco (1)
    Nantes (1)
    Valencia (1)
    Bastia (1)
    Austria Vienna (1)
    Nancy (1)
    Metz (1)
    Beveren (1)
    Wacker Innsbruck (1)
    Eintracht Frankfurt (1)
    Werder Bremen (1)
    Argentinos Junior (1)
    Bohemians Praha (1)
    Millonarios (1)
    Deportivo Cali (1)
    America de Cali (1)
    Slovan Bratislava (1)
    Twente (1)
    Ipswich (1)
    Dinamo Tbilisi (1)
    Club Brugge (1)

Thoughts to come later.

Gregoriak repped this.
  11. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member+

Dec 12, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Looking at achievements by European countries clubs with at least 3 semifinal continental appearances.

West Germany: 25 semifinals, 5 trophies
    England: 17 semifinals, 11 trophies
    Spain: 16 semifinals, 5 trophies
    Belgium: 14 semifinals, 3 trophies
    Italy: 11 semifinals, 3 trophies
    Soviets: 6 semifinals, 2 trophies
    Dutch: 6 semifinals, 1 trophy
    France: 5 semifinals, 0 trophies
    Austria: 4 semifinals, 0 trophies
    Czechs: 4 semifinals, 0 trophies
    Yugo.: 4 semifinals, 0 trophies
    Romania: 3 semifinals, 1 trophy
    Sweden: 3 semifinals, 1 trophy
    Scotland: 3 semifinals, 1 trophy
    Portugal: 3 semifinals, 0 trophies

ManiacButcher and Gregoriak repped this.
  12. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member+

Dec 12, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Best clubs in European competition (reached at least 3 semifinals)

Anderlecht: 7 semifinals, 3 trophies
    Liverpool: 6 semifinals, 5 trophies
    Juventus: 6 semifinals, 3 trophies
    Real Madrid: 6 semifinals, 2 trophies
    Barcelona: 5 semifinals, 2 trophies
    Hamburg: 5 semifinals, 2 trophies
    Bayern Munich: 5 semifinals, 1 trophy
    Borussia Monchengladbach: 4 semifinals, 1 trophy
    Nottingham Forest: 3 semifinals, 2 trophies
    Internazionale: 3 semifinals, 0 trophies
    Koln: 3 semifinals, 0 trophies

13. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member+

Dec 12, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    The South American clubs are harder to sort out because the Libertadores is such a strange competition, that all countries do not value as highly as the European Cup in Europe.

I would say the top tier of teams during this era was.

Flamengo
    Internacional
    River Plate

Followed by

Boca Juniors
    Cruziero
    Atletico Mineiro
    Gremio
    Penarol
    Nacional

14. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member+

Dec 12, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Based on performances of the national teams

I would say Italy, France, West Germany, and Argentina are the top performers followed by Brazil, Belgium, Spain, and England. Denmark, the Czechs, Poland, and Austria all have some success as well.

15. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member+

Dec 12, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    So now looking back at the distribution of players I would say that by country that Argentina and Belgium are slightly underrepresented and maybe Poland as well.

As far as clubs go both Juventus and Roma are over represented. This is in part because they are importing in great players for short stops. I would like to have Liverpool closer to the top. Anderlecht and Hamburg based on their success are under represented. The top tier South American clubs seems short as well.

Next I will start a list of players I am considering adding and dropping based on some of this analysis and other factors. All input is more than welcome.

16. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member+

Dec 12, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Some players I am looking at as additions

Julien Cools (Club Brugge, Belgium)
    Ludovic Coeck (Anderlecht, Belgium)
    Rene Vandereycken (Club Brugge, Anderlecht, Belgium)
    Erwin Vandenbergh (Liersem Anderlecht, Belgium)

Felix Magath (Hamburg, West Germany)
    Ivan Buljan (Hajduk Split, Hamburg, Yugoslavia) Wrong era probably but interesting resume

Ramaz Shengelia (Dinamo Tbilisis, Soviet Union)
    Vladimir Bessonov (Dynamo Kiev, Soviet Union)

Safet Susic (Sarajevo, PSG, Yugoslavia)

Wladislaw Zmuda (Widzew Lodz, Poland)

Frans Thijssen (Twente, Ipswich, Netherlands)

Friedl Koncilia (SSW Innbruck, Austria Vienna, Austria)

John Robertson (Nottingham Forest, Scotland)
    Willie Miller (Aberdeen, Scotland)

Viv Anderson (Nottingham Forest, England)
    Mark Lawrenson (Liverpool, Republic of Ireland)
    Terence McDermott (Liverpool, England)

Victor Munoz (Barcelona, Spain)

Alberto Tarantini (Boca Juniors, River Plate, Argentina)
    Americo Gallego (Newell's Old Boys, River Plate, Argentina)
    Ricardo Bochini (Independiente, Argentina)

Batista (Internacional, Brazil)
    Leandro (Flamengo, Brazil)
    Tita (Flamengo, Gremio, Brazil)

Hugo de Leon (Nacional, Gremio, Uruguay)

Mark Lawrenson seems like the most likely candidate to add a Liverpool player, and Viv Anderson the most likely for a Nottingham Forest player. Robertson was better in an absolute sense, but I don't see any way he has more than 6 strong seasons. Outside of the six season run from 78-83 he never plays another season in the first division and is never capped. The best argument for him might be in the promotion winning season in 76/77 but I am not sure how I feel about that. Also 81/82 is not a slam dunk for a strong season either.

Looking at the Belgium players Coeck is an interesting case, placing well in Belgium all time lists and being a vital part of all three of Anderlecht's European titles. A few unfortunate injuries inhibited his career, especially the timing with major tournaments and Belgium. Cools has a solid resume being the captain of the Brugge side that made two finals and captain of the 1980 Euro final team for Belgium. Vandereycken has a strong resume on paper with lots of European runs and important matches with Belgium. Vandenbergh's domestic record is strong but in Europe and for Belgium his production dips.

Belgium Golden Shoe finishes

Coeck: 76 (4th), 77 (4th), 82 (2nd), 83 (5th)
    Cools: 75 (4th), 76 (5th), 77 (1st)
    Vandereycken: 75 (5th), 78 (2nd), 85 (3rd)
    Vandenbergh: 80 (3rd), 81 (1st)

Magath looks like the best option for another Hamburg player. Good resume all around. I believe he missed some time in the national team because of a falling out with a coach?

Interested in opinions on any of the above players. Right now Leandro, Batista, Gallego, Munoz, Lawrenson, Anderson, Koncilia, Susic, Bessonov, Magath, Cools, Ceock, and Vandereycken are the players I am the most interested in.

17. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member+

Dec 12, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Possible exclusions. This era is already a little high in players per year compared to some others and as some mentioned this was considered a bit of a down era as well compared to the previous two so with the number of players I am interested in adding there needs to be some that get removed. Honestly I am open to suggestions here as I do not see a lot of options for removal.

Some players I am less sure on:

Bryan Robson: Lacks big tournament and continental success. Very good domestically but never really delivers trophies.

Roberto Dinamite: Limited success/exposure at the international level.

Willington Ortiz: Excellent record in the Libertadores and some international success but not sure if it is enough.

Arnold Muhren: Not sure if there is enough here. Good in many different places. Was he great in any of them?

18. Ariaga II

Ariaga II Member

Dec 8, 2018
    I would definitely drop Muhren, Ortiz and the thoroughly mediocre Roberto Dudamite. Others I would consider chopping include Battiston, Bertoni, Demyanenko, Hansen (I mean, if Barnes gets the NT handicap) and Panenka.

Would definitely add Osvaldo Piazza (Supremely underrated. Possibly the best in the world in his peak?) and Nyilasi. Possibly also Curkovic, Nehoda (at least over Panenka), Magath, Strachan and Fernando Gomes (a bit of a typical Portuguese pea shooter, IMO, but he enjoyed a great rep in his peak). Brooking, maybe?

Yeah, Magath missed about a year in the NT due to beefs with the manager. He suffers a bit from being considered an inadequate replacement for Schuster.

Out of the suggestions I think Vandenbergh and Susic are good options. Shengelia maybe had too short of a peak, same as teammate Kipiani. I thought about Buljan for the 70s, but his Kicker ratings aren't fantastic, even though he seemed to be pretty well-regarded during that run.

One player I'm torn about is Dudu Georgescu. He seemed pretty highly-rated, with a good BdO record, but I think it's mainly because of his golden boot exploits, and we know how those went in Romania. Still, he has a pretty good NT-record, too.

Tom Stevens repped this.
  19. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member+

Dec 12, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Would you rate these as the two most important Saint Etienne players above Javion, Lopez, and Rocheteau?

Looking at them if I added them they would belong to the previous era. Any good information supporting the thoughts about Piazza? @msioux75 thoughts about Piazza?

20. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member+

Dec 12, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    This is interesting to me. I believe all the all time Czech player ratings I have seen have Panenka higher. What is your reasoning?

Also how would you compare Masny to these two?

Ballon d'Or and Czech footballer of the year is maybe a slight advantage to Nehoda. Overall resumes in continental competitions looks similar, maybe Panenka slightly better after moving to Austria.

21. Tom Stevens

Tom Stevens Member+

Dec 12, 2012
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
  22. PuckVanHeel

PuckVanHeel BigSoccer Yellow Card

Oct 4, 2011
    Club:
    Feyenoord
    Dropping Muhren is just silly (and testament of a generally low regard). I've already posted articles previously (from foreign sources like Shoot!) but I see that just gets ignored, with people only reading what they want to read and the usuals not giving a single explanation other than their own selective World Soccer reading.

I've shown those articles to Ariaga too previously, but of course no reply to that effort, and instead the same trope gets repeated behind a pretense of vast knowledge. Hit and run stuff.

Run of the mill players typically don't make the World Soccer cover at their retirement. In case that is the main barometer of things.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...ijk-europeans-who-influenced-english-football

23. Ariaga II

Ariaga II Member

Dec 8, 2018
    I would. Rocheteau is another possibility, too. He was a big deal in the late 70s, but I think he fell off a little bit after that. Lopez wasn't top class.

I can't think of a player that gets a bigger retrospective handicap from the lack of a proper NT career than Piazza. He's not highly-rated in America because they never saw him in his prime. No BdO recognition because he was ineligible. Menotti was willing to sell out on his "no foreigners" principle for two players: Kempes and Piazza. If Piazza's family hadn't been in accident, he would've helped lead Argentina to the WC in 1978 and would rightly be considered in their all-time team next to Passarella.

I think Panenka gets the retrospective award for his highlight reel moment. In the 70s Nehoda was the biggest star of the three. I'd take Masny as #2. Panenka seemed something of a "could've been" ATG, but he's a borderline case, anyway.

24. argentine soccer fan

Staff Member

Jan 18, 2001
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Club:
    CA Boca Juniors
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Very good role player with longevity, not all time great.

Tom Stevens repped this.
  25. Ariaga II

Ariaga II Member

Dec 8, 2018
    People are ignoring what you say because you've regressed into a Brazuca level parody user. It's hard to take what you say seriously if you're just a jingoistic nationality advocate with zero attempt at objectivity. You keep coming up with bizarre tinfoil hat theories, trying to get into E-beefs, and attempt to shoot down players because they belong to a "competitor" nationality. Then when someone asks you for a positive contribution they get nothing.