A-League Season 2016/17 Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Australian A-League' started by el-capitano, May 5, 2016.

1. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    NOTABLE MARKS

- Second longest undefeated streak: Sydney were undefeated for 20 straight A-League matches after Round 19.

- Sydney has scored 55 goals this season, the fourth most in A-League history: They sit one behind the Victory’s total from 2014-15 and three behind Brisbane’s in 2010-11 (30 games).

- Sydney are just the third team in A-League history to finish the regular season with a scoring rate of two goals per game: Melbourne City had a rate of 2.3 last season and Melbourne Victory scored 2.1 goals per game in 2014-15.

- Sydney are only the second team to go through a season undefeated at home: Brisbane achieved this in 2010-11.

http://www.foxsports.com.au/footbal...n/news-story/6fba4812080c1ce3c0d07f0d5e679b98

2. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  3. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    #53 La Trucha, May 8, 2017
    Last edited: May 8, 2017
    Congratulations to Sydney FC, they earned it. Now I hope they can keep Ninkovic, Bobo, Holosko, Buijs, and Brosque because all have been outstanding. Ibini won't be staying, unfortunately. I was pretty impressed with Brillante btw; glad he returned to Australia.

This season confirmed Berisha as the GOAT A-League player IMO. I loved both Rojas and Troisi. We (Victory) need to find replacements for both Georgievski and FBK since both are leaving. I wouldn't be upset if Baro leaves tbh. I think Deng's loan at PSV is ending soon and he'll come home.

I was extremely disappointed with City. I thought they had an unstoppable $9m squad with Kamau, Cahill, Fornaroli, Colazo, Caceres, Brattan and Brandan but they went from exciting to watch to utter mediocrity. I hope they can use their oil money to buy a star coach. Colazo and Sorensen are both leaving while Cahill will fall under the cap, so that frees up 2 visa spots, one marquee and one guest marquee.

Speaking of disappointments, Guardiola (Adelaide) and Bulut (WSW) were both complete flops. WSW and Adelaide were both a pain to watch.

This season confirmed 10 teams is just too little. I hated playing the same teams in such short time. It especially sucked the hype out of the derbies. FFA really need to keep their promise of expanding in 2018 or I won't be a happy Jan!

EDIT: turns out Sydney has signed Ninkovic as a marquee player, while Holosko is in talks about potentially falling under the cap next season. Great news! Hope that Holosko is happy to do that. Inb4 City signs him as a marquee haha.

EDIT 2: looks like Roar, thus far, will lose Broich, Maclaren and now Borrello. Ouch.

el-capitano repped this.