A-League Season 2016/17 Thread [R]

Discussion in 'Australian A-League' started by el-capitano, May 5, 2016.

1. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    There's nothing stopping juniors, staff and parents all associated with Marconi etc from supporting them in the NPL as well as whatever A-League side they choose to support. Kind of like you support both your NPL club as well as Sydney FC.

Former-NSL ethnic clubs do not have a place in the A-League IMO. They've had their time in top-tier football, now they should remain in the NPL.

2. theFOOTBALLlover

FC Porto, SC Freamunde & Fraser Park FC
    Jan 17, 2015
    Sydney
    That's your opinion and the opinion of many others. For me, I think every club should have the chance to be in the top flight through on field results. Open the system and see how they go in trying to get promoted.

3. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  4. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
  5. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    So did you sydneysiders go to the game? The attendance was 61,000+ which is a new record, and higher than NRL has ever achieved! :O

6. theFOOTBALLlover

Jan 17, 2015
    Sydney
    I was there. The atmosphere wasn't as great as it has been in the past at Allianz or Pirtek Stadium. Place is too big with too many empty seats. But it was a great night for football in Australia and Sydney FC.

el-capitano and La Trucha repped this.
  7. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Yep- I couldn't make it to the game, but that's how it came across on tv too. I don't know why there were so many empty seats along the bottom when they were putting a lot of people in the top deck. Fill the bottom- make it look good for tv- as they don't see the top decks a lot.

I've been there for a Parra- Tigers game with only 52,000 and that pumped, so it would've been ok- but yeah not as good as a full Pirtek or Allianz.

8. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Melbourne Derby, what a game!

I was very pleased to see that Kamau was starting. I was worried that he joined City only to sit on the bench, but he had a very impressive game tonight. If he keeps this up then he can wear the Socceroos jersey.

Great to see that new City signings Brandan, Brattan and TIMMY CAHILL all scored excellent goals along with Fornaroli.

As a Victory supporter I was extremely disappointed to see how badly we played. The only pro was Kiwi Messi's goal, and I'm keen to see more of Pasquali; he impressed me during the Juventus game.

Overall, very exciting match. I do hope that City can gain more permanent fans after this.

theFOOTBALLlover repped this.
  9. theFOOTBALLlover

Jan 17, 2015
    Sydney
    City's movement in the final third was exceptional. Players moved off the ball and rotated positions but they also have the technical players to make it work.

I look forward to the day when we can produce technical players of that quality and see A-league teams regularly fielding an all Australian attacking line up.

Very similar trend to what happens in the EPL.

10. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    City has a very strong line up this season. It's going to be very exciting to watch them this season. Fornaroli, Cahill, Brattan, Brandan, Kamau and Colazo, wow.

No Mooy? No worries!

You're a coach, you can make this happen ;)

11. theFOOTBALLlover

Jan 17, 2015
    Sydney
    Haha doing my best but there's only so much I can do in NPL 3.

La Trucha and el-capitano repped this.
  12. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    What do you think now after two rounds? ;)

13. theFOOTBALLlover

Jan 17, 2015
    Sydney
    I've only watched the game against the WSW. The football definitely isn't the type of football that I want Sydney FC to play but tactically Arnie did a job on the WSW. There's no question that Arnie understands how to win football matches but there is no philosophy to his style apart from winning.

Having watched the Melbourne derby, Victory are well off the pace at the moment. They weren't even close to City on the weekend. The football produced by City is how I've been wanting Sydney to play since the club started. The movement and the technical quality of the individual players in the final third was fantastic. Will they win the league? I'm not sure purely because of John van't Schip.

Still a long way to go!

el-capitano repped this.
  14. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Victory were absolute rubbish against City. Berisha and Khalfallah were invisible and Geria had a bad night. We are missing Delpierre bad. Sucks he retired. I'm not sold on Baro yet.

It's more embarrassing that we drew to Roar at the last minute, seeing as they got thrashed 4-0 against the Jets.

15. sokorny

sokorny Member

Nov 6, 2014
    Westerm Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Sydney play a very standard sit deep and then hit them on the quick counter attack style of game. Works well against teams not set up well to cope with such a style (such as the Mariners ... their defense is a shambles most the time). I think sterner tests await Sydney, especially when they come up against teams like Perth and Victory, who similarly like to play similar styles (although both those teams do like to press their wing backs higher). I am pretty sure Mariners had something like 60% of the possession against Sydney ... they just had no idea how to do anything with the ball.

16. jezhead

jezhead Member

Feb 13, 2003
  17. TheSelectFew

TheSelectFew Member

Dec 21, 2016
    What a shocking pitch.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

18. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Coldplay........ ;)

La Trucha repped this.
  19. TheSelectFew

TheSelectFew Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Doesnt excuse that. Pfa would be having a field day.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

20. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Who was excusing anything? That was the reason for that pitch. Coldplay's promoters taking the cheap option of fixing things.

La Trucha repped this.
  21. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Another season done and even though the Grand Final was a much closer affair than most thought it would be we have worthy Champions in Place. Congratulations to Sydney. I think teh only record that evaded them this season was being the first unbeaten team. Other than that, I can't think of any other records that they didn't achieve. I still think we need a new trophy though. I would prefer something you can drink from rather than crap through.

el-capitano repped this.
  22. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    THE RECORDS SYDNEY BROKE

- Most competition points in a season: Sydney’s 66 points in 27 games overtake Brisbane Roar’s 2010-11 record of 65 points in a 30-game season. Sydney had broken the points record for a 27-game season after reaching 59 points in Round 24.

- Longest undefeated streak to start a season: The Sky Blues began the season with a 19 game undefeated streak.

- Most goals scored with conceding to start a season: By Round Two, Sydney had scored 11 goals without conceding.

23. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    - First team to record 20 wins in a season: Sydney had already broken the record for most wins in a season with 19, passing the previous record of 18 held by Western Sydney (from 27 games in 2012-13) and Brisbane (from 30 games in 2010-11).

- The biggest ever winning margin for a Premier: Sydney finish 17 points ahead of second-placed Melbourne Victory. The previous largest margin was 12 for Victory in the 2006-07 season.

- Fewest goals conceded in a season: Sydney has conceded 12 goals this season, the previous lowest total in a season is 19 (in a 21 game season).

24. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    - Most clean sheets in a season: The Sky Blues have kept 16 clean sheets this season.

- Fewest games conceding multiple goals: They have conceded multiple goals just once this season, with the previous best coming from Newcastle in 2007-08 who conceded multiple goals on three occasions that season.

- Best goal difference: Difference of +43, which is 11 more than the previous best. Brisbane’s was +32 in 2010-11.

25. el-capitano

el-capitano Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 30, 2005
    Sydney
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    - Biggest ever winning margin in a Sydney Derby: The Sky Blues beat the Wanderers 4-0 in Round One

- First team to win three consecutive Big Blues: This season, Sydney defeated Melbourne Victory in each of their three clashes.