A-League Salary Cap

Discussion in 'Australian A-League' started by el-capitano, Dec 19, 2016.

?

Should the A-League retain the salary cap?

1. Yes

71.4%
  2. No

28.6%
  1. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    They've been gone for two years now.

Remember because of the salary cap, you never know who will win the season; just like in AFL. I like it this way, rather than in Europe where most leagues have two to four excellent teams and every other team is meh. With that said, SMFC would also have these ups and downs like every other HAL team if they join HAL. They have their own stadium, but the issue remains whether they will have enough support. I'm worried they'd only attract the Greek community, and I'm also concerned as to just how many fans they will take away from Victory and City.

TheJoeGreene repped this.
  2. TheSelectFew

TheSelectFew Member

Dec 21, 2016
    The problem you have is that this isn't the AFL. This is a global game with global participants. Holding clubs back to save incompetently run organisations is ridiculous.

Now to point to the AFL and NRL salary caps as something that makes teams even is silly. How big was that story of WB winning after 50 odd years? That was with a salary cap system for most of those fifty years. It doesn't gurantee equality. Why anyone wants equality in a competitive environment is just stupid.

theFOOTBALLlover repped this.
  3. theFOOTBALLlover

FC Porto, SC Freamunde & Fraser Park FC
    Jan 17, 2015
    Sydney
    My problem with the salary cap is that it punishes successful teams in order for 'equality'. Adelaide won the league last year and because of their success, players want a pay rise, they can't afford to do players leave. Now they find themselves at the bottom.

The salary cap doesn't allow clubs to build any moment. As a coach, this would be very frustrating.

4. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    That just means they didn't manage their roster properly. Just look at MLS. A team like LA Galaxy finished either 1st or 2nd in their division in 8 of their first 9 seasons. They've been nearly that consistent since then. A salary cap puts a premium on being able to balance the short and long term instead of just throwing more and more money at something. It requires the ability to both identify the most important players/positions to your system and the easiest ones to fill via youth and other sources of new players.

Seattle Sounders have finished in the top half of their division, and the league, in all 8 of their seasons in MLS. A number of other squads have been extremely consistent as well.

Adelaide should have been better prepared for their players leaving.

La Trucha repped this.
  5. theFOOTBALLlover

Jan 17, 2015
    Sydney
    League champions:
    05/06 - Adelaide United then 2nd by 12 pts
    06/07 - Victory then 5th
    07/08 - Central Coast then 4th
    08/09 - Victory then 2nd
    09/10 - Sydney FC then 9th
    10/11 - Brisbane then 2nd
    11/12 - Central Coast then 2nd
    12/13 - Western Sydney then 2nd by 10 pts
    13/14 - Brisbane then 6th
    14/15 - Victory then 6th
    15/16 - Adelaide and currently 10th

6 out of 11 seasons - the team that won the league went on to finish outside the top 2 in the following season.

These clubs represent Australia in the ACL after losing key players and most of the time struggle to make it out of the group. What benefit is it to Australian football that our best players aren't able to compete with other teams in Asia?

Want to improve Australian football? Players did to be playing/training with the best players possible to improve. Having to replace the top players every year doesn't improve the competition for places in a squad.

6. TheJoeGreene

TheJoeGreene Member+

Aug 19, 2012
    The Lubbock Texas
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Germany
    So what? It appears only 3 didn't make the playoffs. That's not bad, especially in a young league that needs every fanbase to feel like they have a real chance while the league and its teams build their reputations. The absolute worst case scenario for a new league is the feeling that the winner is predetermined, especially if it's just the team that can spend the most.

Leicester City won the EPL last year. They're 15th this year. Obviously that league needs a salary cap.

7. TheSelectFew

TheSelectFew Member

Dec 21, 2016
    No, the worst thing for a young league is watching a sub par quality whilst international league churn out far better quality as they have no restrictions. And its not as if we havent had offers. We have CFG wanting to push on. Chinese investment in state clubs vying for a bid at the big boys table but they cant because of salary caps and protected leagues.

Our yound players dont have an oppurtunity either. With the FFA Cup we have seen the potential stranded in a 92 club state league. In the a league, players are recycled year after year. How many chances have Zadkoshit and Nichols have? We need to make clubs accountable. The financials are clearly fine when state clubs say that thwy have fine with promotion and relegation yet the illustrious a league clubs aren't? Cmon now.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

theFOOTBALLlover repped this.
  8. TheSelectFew

TheSelectFew Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Hahahahahahahah yeah no mate. They make millions off their system.

9. theFOOTBALLlover

Jan 17, 2015
    Sydney
    Playoffs? You mean finals? It's not difficult to make the finals when 6 out of 10 teams qualify.

My point is that by having a salary cap, clubs can't be consistent and build momentum. They can't keep their squads together as players rightfully so demand more money after playing a part in a title winning team. This is proven by the ladder.

I'd personally prefer no salary cap but if you still want to keep it even, have a salary that is different for every club to reward clubs like the Victory. They shouldn't be punished because Central Coast Mariners are a mess.

10. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Look, I understand the limitations associated with the salary cap. It doesn't entice higher quality players to come here, nor NPL players who are currently getting paid more in their day jobs. It is also not enough to encourage the more talented HAL players to stay here. MCFC did the right thing by upgrading Fornaroli to a marquee player so they could keep him. MVFC might need to do the same with Kiwi Messi when his contract expires.

WSW has proven that it's totally possible to win the AFC Champions League and give Club World Cup teams a hard time, all with a salary cap in place. With the HAL expanding, we should not be thinking about removing the salary cap if we want to give new teams an opportunity to cement their place in the league.

11. theFOOTBALLlover

Jan 17, 2015
    Sydney
    WSW won and Adelaide made the final of the ACL playing football that is completely opposite to our national curriculum. They didn't have the players to compete and play to our national curriculum which is there to develop our players and get them ready for the Socceroos.

12. TheSelectFew

TheSelectFew Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Don't expect CFG to stick around and be your sugar daddy in this system. They are rumoured to be having a look in at China.

13. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    As much it is advantageous for HAL to have a team backed by oil-rich owners, I would not give a damn if MCFC dissolved or relocated elsewhere. Heart was formed with no real difference to MVFC other than the fact that they were merely a second option and wore a different colour. No wonder they're struggling to get fans despite signing David Villa and Tim Cahill, and being backed by the same owners of Manchester City.

South Melbourne and Dandenong-Casey have what they don't have; an identity and a geographical location separate from MVFC.

So? They still made these achievements despite having a salary cap in place.

Adelaide going to the CL final back in 2008 is even more significant, knowing the HAL was much weaker back then, and the salary cap was lower.

14. TheSelectFew

TheSelectFew Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Dandenong Casey have no identity at all. At least Heart have not Victory.

15. theFOOTBALLlover

Jan 17, 2015
    Sydney
    So you are ok with a club with fantastic owners leaving? Out of any foreign owners in the world, CFG are by far the best. What they've done at Manchester and Melbourne is astonishing. They don't just buy the best players, they actually invest in facilities, youth, women's football and more. I wish all our owners were like them. I just can't believe anyone can be so dismissive of what they've done for football.

This 'so?' attitude demonstrated by you and the American bloke is the reason why Australian football will never go anywhere unless it changes. This mentality that winning that way is good enough will not serve our long term goals for Australia as a footballing nation. Do you have any involvement with Australian football besides being on a forum and being an A-league club member?

16. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Honestly I'm wishy-washy about City. On one hand they're very valuable to HAL and being owned by CFG has so many benefits. On the other hand City have no real identity other than being a second option, and it shows in their crowd attendance. If they keep getting poor crowds then CFG might say "fack it, this isn't gonna work out" and pull the plug. Don't get it twisted, I'm not ungrateful for what CFG has done for us.

I'm saying we can still go far, despite having a salary cap. The good news is that the salary cap is continuously increasing. Look at MLS; ten years ago no one took them seriously, but today they're getting a lot more respect.

Yes, I've played football my whole life. Due to study and work commitments I don't really play as much these days though. During this university break between October until March, I've been working out heavily and running consistently with the hope of trying out for a couple clubs next month.

el-capitano and theFOOTBALLlover repped this.
  17. theFOOTBALLlover

Jan 17, 2015
    Sydney
    I get the whole no identity thing but I don't know if that's a big deal to supporters. Their memberships have increased since the CFG took over. They have invested into the club with facilities and women's football. What they've done in Manchester is unbelievable and their respect for coaches, unlike Chelsea's owner, is a winner with me. To me, they are the best run football club in the world.

As I said, I would prefer no salary cap but an alternative that meets each other half way is a varied salary cap dependent on income which ensures every club is still sustainable. Prime example is Melbourne Victory not being punished.

La Trucha repped this.
  18. TheSelectFew

TheSelectFew Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Memberships yes.

Crowd figures no.

19. theFOOTBALLlover

Jan 17, 2015
    Sydney
    They have more money coming in due to memberships and their crowds have increased (even if it is slightly).

Average crowds:
    2016-17 - 11,603
    2015-16 - 11,062
    2014-15 - 10,374
    2013-14 - 9,799 (CFG took over in January 2014)
    2012-13 - 8,560
    2011-12 - 9,082
    2010-11 - 8,312

Source

20. TheSelectFew

TheSelectFew Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Now consider the amount they have spent on their squad with an extra marquee. Is this value for money? Is this a justified increase. I cant say for certain this doesn't factor away fans increase.

21. theFOOTBALLlover

Jan 17, 2015
    Sydney
    Away fans have been there from the start. The only thing we know is that memberships have increased and so have crowds. We can conclude that the membership increase has had an impact on the crowd increase.

If the CFG want to spend that money, it's up to them.

22. TheSelectFew

TheSelectFew Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Well if i was paying over 4 mill for a 37 year old player, id expect better results and crowds.

23. theFOOTBALLlover

Jan 17, 2015
    Sydney
    I'm sure no one expected their crowds to double. There are no miracles. Especially when it's Tim Cahill - an Australian legend but technically not that great. Way better footballers out there. I personally love watching City but for Fornaroli.

24. TheSelectFew

TheSelectFew Member

Dec 21, 2016
    Well it doesnt matter. You can try to buy fans with shiny names all you like but it clearly doesnt work. Im happy with CFG and their ambition. but money doesnt buy trophies.

25. La Trucha

La Trucha Moderator
    Staff Member

Nov 16, 2009
    42 Wallaby Way, Sydney
    Club:
    Melbourne Victory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    The whole point of the 12-month guest player rule aka Tim Cahill rule is bring in high-profile players that would gain a large crowd. That is why FFA were happy to help MCFC sign Cahill and not to help MVFC sign Alessandro Diamanti; Diamanti is a good player, but not famous enough to earn the guest player spot.

Cahill is arguably the GOAT Socceroo and loved by many, so I was excited to see Cahill in the HAL. Crowd attendance has increased thanks to him, but not significantly thus MCFC are still struggling to get a respectable amount of fans.