A-League in 5 years - New teams?

Discussion in 'Australian A-League' started by Archie Thompson, Jan 6, 2006.

1. Archie Thompson

Archie Thompson New Member

Jan 2, 2006
    Australia
    Within five years I suspect that the A-League will be expanded to a 10 team competition, so who would be the most likely candidates?

Canberra - Alot of football support there and a top class football stadium.

Western Sydney

Wollongong

Gold Coast - With a stadium being built there perhaps the FFA would be interested with having a team there considering that Queensland are getting around 15,000 fans on average to every game.

Any other suggestions?

2. Gold is the Colour

Dec 17, 2005
    Perth Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Definately add Far north Queensland to the list, also maybe Tassie (no other nat team apart from cricket) and northern NSW (huge growth area, also no other nat team, and feel dislocated from Newcastle - NSW stands for Newcastle Sydney Wollongong)

In truth though I'd like to see 10-12 team top level and others in some sort of lower teir with Promotion/ Relegation, but this will probably take longer than 5 years

3. Archie Thompson

Jan 2, 2006
    Australia
    If Tasmania can't even support a GheyFL side I doubt they'll be able to support a football side, they'd need to build a new stadium also.

Where exactly would a Northern NSW side be based?

I'd like to see an FA Cup style competition where the state league champions and A-League clubs compete.

4. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Newcastle

5. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia

6. Archie Thompson

Jan 2, 2006
    Australia
    There is a one team policy, but that only lasts for five years.

7. Gold is the Colour

Dec 17, 2005
    Perth Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Basing a side in Nthn NSW would be the major problem, my suggestion would be to base in Coffs Harbour(100,000 pop. central position), with games in Lismore and Port Macquarie as well, and maybe Tamworth or elsewere in New England - remember this is in 5+ years time, and I really suggested it in terms of the second teir and playing for promotion / relegation

8. chelsea_fan7

chelsea_fan7 New Member

Dec 13, 2005
    canberra, Australia
    the act definently needs a new team at a higher level. The Blue devils who were in the nsw premier league got kicked out even tho they finished in the top four last season. There really are no good teams in canberra to support or aspire to once we get to old to play junior soccer

9. gscott12

gscott12 New Member

Nov 17, 2004
    Sydney, AUS
    yeah i'd like to see a woolongong team..the wolves were a solid team in the NSL and, IIRC, they always had good attendances for their matches.

10. Zviggy

Zviggy New Member

Nov 15, 2001
    Brisbane, Australia
    Agreed. Would be very fun to watch!!

11. MVFC

MVFC New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    Melbourne 5-0
    But very unrelistic.

You really think the FFA will put year of hard work into developing a 'clean' image only to have Melbourne play against the like of Heidelberg?

I'd love a FA Cup type style comp but its very doubtful.

12. Champagne Football

Champagne Football New Member

Dec 5, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    A 12-team A-League would be good so they could play each other twice in a 22 round season. (rather than an uneven 21 round season playing 7 other teams 3 times, so that some teams get more home games than others)

I have doubts that NZ will still be in it in 5 years time, so 8-1+5=12. That's another 5 teams that would have to be set up which may be a bit unrealistic. By that stage, the one town, one team moratorium would be over, so second teams could be set up in Sydney and Melbourne. It really irritates me that everyone suggests Wollongong, etc. Western Sydney is one thing (as a second Sydney team) and I can accept Canberra as it is in the ACT (although surrounded by NSW), but NSW already has 3 teams in an 8 team competition. (Yes, I realise there are 10 Victorian teams in the AFL and however many NSW teams in the NRL, but the A-League is supposedly starting with a clean slate.) I would like to see other areas like Tasmania, Nth Qld or Gold Coast, and Darwin represented, but there are undoubtedly economic reasons that may prevent some of these from happening.

I have my doubts about Geelong. What's the population of the Albury/Wodonga area? Do they play soccer/football? .....I'm rambling now so I'll just shut up.:confused:

13. Gold is the Colour

Dec 17, 2005
    Perth Australia
    Club:
    Perth Glory
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    I think Albury/Wodonga is about 100,000 - same as Coffs, Port or lismore/Ballina on Nth coast. I'd like to see some sort of promotion/ Relegation started as the way of getting new teams in, that way any area would have chance at getting a team in.

14. MVFC

MVFC New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    Melbourne 5-0
    My old man came from a small country down just out of Wodonga so I go there quite abit.

It'll be a bitterly cold day in Hell before they can ever host an A-League club.

15. MVFC

MVFC New Member

Jul 17, 2005
    Melbourne 5-0
    It evens up though over 2 season.

ie. Melbourne play Sydney twice @ OP next season.

I really doubt there will be a 2nd A-League club in the next 20 years at least. the FFA want Victory up and running successfull on and off the feild long term before they'd even consiter it.

Even then - were do your fans come from? Unless you let in a old South Melboure type club (which wont happen, I assure you) then you are going to be aiming at the same fans which Victory has already been appealing to.

Highly doubt Geelong will ever have an A-League side.
    Albury/Wodonga wont.

16. UkeSuperstar

UkeSuperstar New Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Melbourne
    Not another bloody NSW team.

In 5 years I want the Knights to be out of this competition, or be replaced by a NZ team with merit and an already large fan base (Central Utd). Then get rid of Central Coast and add a team like APIA Leichhardt or some other big time NSW club that DOESN'T have ethnic ties.

Oh and a Canberra club will fail. All hands point to COSMOS.

17. Champagne Football

Dec 5, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    HA! First you say you don't want another NSW team (and I agree, but unfortunately, they do seem to have the numbers population wise), and then you want to put APIA Leichardt in!

BTW, I think you'll find that APIA Leichardt DOES have ethnic ties, as A.P.I.A. stands for "Associazione Polisportiva Italian-Australiana".

18. UkeSuperstar

UkeSuperstar New Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Melbourne
    ********kkk. Every state league teams got some bloody wogs behind it :p. And by not another NSW team, I meant if we were to introduce another team, not from NSW :p and that we should replace Central Coast with APIA..but obviously not.

The rest of the big NSW clubs are all ethnic tied:
    Sydney Utd: Croatian

Marconi: Duhhh..Chinese? (Italian)

And a few more but I'm too tired to list.

As I said before, I'm still a strong supporter of either getting rid of an NZ team altogether and setting up another Aussie team, or replace Knights with Central Utd. This is a AUSTRALIAN competition, so I don't know why we constantly include NZ teams, especially when attendances constantly let the club down (towards the end in NSL, Kingz were only pulling 900 fans a game) and this year, though mostly because of poor onfield performances and off field dramas, they've got the lowest crowd average with 4,000 or so.

However, I like this one town, one team thing they have going. Football isn't big enough in Australia to have dozens of clubs like it used to. But anyway after all this I think that a new Gippsland team wouldn't be too bad, a reborn Eastern Pride?

19. Champagne Football

Dec 5, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    I have this distant memory that John O'Neill (with his Super 12/Tri Nations background) mentioned something in the early days of launching the A-League that he could envisage one day having teams included from nearby Asian countries like Malaysia, Singapore, etc. (Am I going mad, or can anyone else remember this?) So NZ may be just the start. (Their problem will be FIFA continuing to sanction the participation of a club from OFC in an AFC country's competition.)

On a related point, I remember years ago (maybe around 10 years or more ago, definitely before Perth Glory was formed) there was some sort of club competition (I think centred around Singapore?) and teams based in Perth and Darwin were included. I think it only lasted a couple of years. Again, am I losing my mind?? Can anyone back me up?:confused:

20. almango

almango Member+

Sydney FC
    Australia
    Nov 29, 2004
    Bulli, Australia
    Club:
    Sydney FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Australia
    Yes he did, although the AFC may not be keen on allowing it as it may be a threat to the Champions League. It may be possible to organise a regional ASEAN club championship, provided it didn't conflict with Asia wide tournaments. I doubt it would be possible to have something like the super 12 which runs for 3 months whilst everything else goes into the background.

No you're not, although I can't remember if this was the Singapore competition or the Malaysian one.

21. Champagne Football

Dec 5, 2004
    Melbourne, Australia
    OK, you can all relax as my sanity is intact.:)

I should have done some research first, but I've done it now and there were 2 Australian teams in the Singapore Premier League (forerunner to the S-League) in 1994, Perth Kangaroos and Darwin Cubs. Perth won the league and Darwin came second that year, but attendances were not great and I can imagine that the Singaporeans would have seen it as a bit of a disaster.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/S.League#Current_S.League_clubs

22. UkeSuperstar

UkeSuperstar New Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Melbourne
    Yeah, I read up on that a few months ago and thought WTF.

23. In 5 years-
    New Zealand -> Auckland or Central Unt
    Queensland -> Brisbane
    Add teams from North Queensland and Tasmania

In 20 years-

Melbourne Victory
    South Melbourne
    Ballarat ?? (or another Country Victorian team)
    Tasmania
    Adelaide Unt
    Perth Glory
    Sydney FC
    Darwin
    Central coast
    Newcastle
    Gold Coast
    Canberra
    Brisbane
    North queensland

24. UkeSuperstar

UkeSuperstar New Member

Dec 22, 2005
    Melbourne

Gold Coast would be an awesome expansion.

25. Crowdie

Crowdie New Member

Jan 23, 2003
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Why would you want Central United to represent the New Zealand franchise? Of all the clubs in New Zealand Central United would be the least representative.