A-League Collegiate Draft

Discussion in 'College & Amateur Soccer' started by Dsocc, Dec 18, 2002.

1. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

Feb 13, 2002
  2. Emile

Emile Member

Oct 24, 2001
    dead in a ditch
    Thanks dsocc - I had forgotten that this was happening so soon.

Really weird and fascinating picks. Of course, the A-League draft doesn't really mean much - but I wonder if getting picked here will enhance any of these players' chances of getting some run from MLS.

3. beineke

beineke New Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Kind of an upside-down draft. As you'd expect, they started out with the guys who are unlikely to make it in MLS right away. Then they mixed in a few players with legitimate MLS prospects, guys like Warren, Cole, and Levesque, working their way up to Noonan.

It's interesting that they didn't even bother with Diego Walsh and Todd Dunivant, two can't-miss MLSers. I wonder what other seniors fit that description...

4. Flying Weasel

Flying Weasel Member

Mar 22, 2001
    Harrisburg, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yea, the A-League draft is a wierd animal. Teams are trying to get the best players they can, but on if a team thinks a player is a near lock to make an MLS team roster, than picking him might end up being a wasted pick. So, as you'd expect, some top Div. I college players are by-passed.

Here's a breakdown of which diviision the players come from:

A-League Draft
    NCAA Div. I - 27
    NCAA Div. II - 2
    NCAA Div. III - 2
    NAIA - 4
    CIS - 1
    High School - 2
    CIS - Canadian Interuniversity Sport

It's interesting to see two of the top D-III players drafted. Hayden Woodworth (Messiah College) was the midfield cog of the 2000 and 2002 D-III National Champions. Alex Blake (Williams College) is the 2001 D-III Player of the Year. Both remain cadidates for this year's Player of the Year honor.

5. LuvDaBears

LuvDaBears New Member

Sep 4, 2002
    USA
    What I'd like to know, is how much communicating goes on between the A-League and MLS when it comes to the draft.

6. ncguy

ncguy New Member

Jan 28, 2002
    NC
    Why would Charleston waste a pick on Doug Warren? Is there that much of a glut in the keeper market in MLS?

7. Dsocc

Dsocc Member

Feb 13, 2002
    Stranger still is that 17 of the picks were forwards and only 6 were midfielders (5 if you consider that Higginbotham is actually a defender).

8. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    OK, allow me to explain something:

NONE OF THIS MATTERS!!!

This is just for show, a PR gimmick, a chance to act like an American league.

But, lost in the fine print of all this is that A-League teams hold the rights of these players for like 3 weeks or something like that.

There is absolutely nothing binding about this draft.

If, say, Doug Warren (and yes, there is a glut of keepers in MLS) wants to play in the A-League but doesn't want to do it at Charleston, in 3 weeks or when ever the date is that the rights to the draftees expires, he can negotiate with whatever team he wants.

It's interesting to a point, and fun to talk about and analyze, but it really doesn't mean that much.

9. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    OKAY

Thanks for clearing that up, I would waste any time analyzing this draft.