NSR: A gun on Every Corner: Discuss the NRA, Gun Ownership and All Those Non-Mass Shootings..

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by dapip, Feb 20, 2015.

Tags:
?

Do we need more strict gun laws?

1. Repeal the second baby!

54 vote(s)
    51.4%
  2. We need better mental healthcare..

38 vote(s)
    36.2%
  3. A discussion on the topic would be interesting..

29 vote(s)
    27.6%
  4. That's Liberul talk for them to take may gunz!

7 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. You can pry my gun from my cold dead hands..

15 vote(s)
    14.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    To all the newcomers to America driving taxis or Ubers. A pro tip:

Auriaprottu, NORML, soccernutter and 2 others repped this.
  2. The Devil's Architect

Feb 10, 2000
    The American Steppe
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Easy, just don't pay any attention to the red dot on your lower abdomen

3. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    Funny - one of my mentors during undergrad history was an old queen. He was masculine as can be during his day job and few at my little mainline protestant liberal arts school knew anything about it.

4. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    All republicans in congress voted against a bill to fund mental healthcare in schools. Republicans don't care either way. Change my mind.

NORML, soccernutter, taosjohn and 3 others repped this.
  5. YankHibee

YankHibee Member+

Mar 28, 2005
    indianapolis
    adding to bring it back on point - he was also a very Southern good 'ol boy and reenactor and gun owner.

6. Sounders78

Sounders78 Member+

Apr 20, 2009
    Olympia
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    I enjoy the "not guns but mental health" argument because if the cause of our disproportionate gun death rate is caused by mental health, then America has a dramatically higher mental health problem than all other Western countries. America is culturally also much further to the right than most other Western countries and more religious than other Western countries. Thus, we can easily conclude that America's conservatism and religious nature are potentially leading causes of America's supposedly highly elevated mental health problems. Either that or the problem is our gun laws. Either way, it's a massive Republican fail.

soccernutter, Mike03 and xtomx repped this.
  7. mette72

mette72 Member

Sep 29, 2000
    Free America
    What else was attached to the bill? Often times, bills have multiple attachments (pork barrel spending) and get shot down because of this. Both sides do it. But the side that comes up with the bill only focus on select parts when it gets shot down by the other side, playing politics of course. Different wing of the same bird, the entire system is broken.

As George Carlin once said “…it’s a big club and you ain’t in it!”

8. mette72

mette72 Member

Sep 29, 2000
    Free America
    and yet it’s the liberal cities where the highest percentage of all crimes are taking place…
    Defund the police
    Don’t enforce the law
    Let criminals out

Yep, republican fail for sure…

9. mette72

mette72 Member

Sep 29, 2000
    Free America
    What does this even mean?

10. Chesco United

Chesco United Member+

DC United
    Jun 24, 2001
    Chester County, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Argentina
    Makes perfect sense to me.

Auriaprottu repped this.
  11. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    https://www.salon.com/2022/03/16/democrats-for--but-new-data-shows-higher-rates-in-red-states/

In all, eight of the 10 states with the highest per-capita murder rates in the country voted for Trump in 2020. None of those eight states have been carried by a Democrat since 1996. Mississippi had by far the highest murder rate at 20.5 murders per 100,000 residents, followed by Louisiana at 15.79. Alabama, Kentucky and Missouri all had murder rates higher than 14 per 100,000 compared to a national average of 6.5. The only states that voted for Biden to appear in the top 10 are Georgia — a longtime Republican stronghold that went blue by a tiny margin in 2020 — and New Mexico.

Large blue states that have attracted criticism from Republicans had murder rates significantly below the national average. New York's rate was 4.11 murders per 100,000 residents and California's was 5.59. According to the study, Mississippi's murder rate was 400% higher than New York's and 250% higher than California's.

Republicans and the media have also focused on Democratic-led cities in coastal states, but many Republican-led cities have posted much higher murder rates. Despite intensive media coverage of increasing crime in House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's San Francisco district, the murder rate in that city was only half that of House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy's district in Bakersfield, a Southern California city with a Republican mayor that overwhelmingly voted Trump. Jacksonville, Florida, another Republican-led city, had 120 more murders than San Francisco did in 2020 (with only a slightly larger population) but received a tiny fraction of the national news coverage.

xtomx repped this.
  12. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    My obligatory reminder that overall, cities are safer places than rural America -

https://www.bloomberg.com/opinion/a...w-york-city-more-dangerous-than-rural-america

I know that you are speaking about cimes specifically, but it is still worth reminding, since discussions of city crime rates are often linked with fear of death/serious injury.

Edit - Plus, what dapid said.

13. mette72

mette72 Member

Sep 29, 2000
    Free America
    Salon.com?? Really? That would be like me using foxnews as my go to...

14. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    They sided with the insurance companies:

https://www.fiercehealthcare.com/pa...alth-parity-bill-introduces-new-insurer-fines

They said they have a better plan, that is two weeks away from release.

15. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Naah. Facts are in there, unlike Fox. And if you don't like it, check the link from Bloomberg posted by John.

16. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I don't see anybody disputing the story's data.

17. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
  18. mette72

mette72 Member

Sep 29, 2000
    Free America
    https://www.salon.com/

Check out the home page...and then still believe that this news is accurate in any way...

19. mette72

mette72 Member

Sep 29, 2000
    Free America
    I'll make a deal...you go out for walks at 0100 hours every Friday and Saturday night in the largest city near you (Miami? I hear the Overtown district is quite nice)...and I'll do the same in my "rural, crime infested MAGA town." I'll be around until I die of old age...you won't...

Since moving to rural, MAGA land, my auto insurance rates were cut in half. How could those insurance agencies be so stupid? I guess they didn't read the Bloomberg article. Please don't send it to Farmer's! :laugh:

20. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    How many people would you interact in those hours? I've been in the area, since there are a few nightclubs around (not in the middle exactly and I'm to old for that now) and I used to work downtown. Many things have changed thanks to gentrification, but in the decade or so that I frequented the area, I was never robbed or mugged and my property was not taken. I did saw a few cars broken in (near AAA after a Heat game) and I saw many people with mental health problems and/or homeless, but other than ask for money, all of them were pretty harmless. TBH, I never understood why republicans are so afraid of cities and people that usually are in need but do not mean harm.

OTOH, chances of running by a bear or a mountain lion would be near zero for me, how about you? Also, insurance rates in Florida are in big part a function of Republican (lack of) leadership, meaning VoldeScott and now DeathSantis allowed the rates to rise like the water in Ft. Myers.

soccernutter repped this.
  21. mette72

mette72 Member

Sep 29, 2000
    Free America
    I'm not afraid of cities, I just don't like them for many, many reasons. To each their own...

Explain to me how DeSantis had anything to do with the recent hurricane...

And you are correct, I do stand a chance of running into a bear or mountain lion. TBH, I never understood why democrats are so afraid of rural areas and the wild animals that roam the area, virtually all of which avoid human interaction.

22. mette72

mette72 Member

Sep 29, 2000
    Free America
    Then how do you explain my massive insurance rate cut by moving to MAGA land from the dystopia liberal nightmare I escaped? My current home is almost double in size, for almost 60% less cost. Like I stated, my auto insurance is MUCH less, and my home insurance is 40% less for more house. And, a newer house I might add...on 10 acres. So much danger out here, better for you to stay away...

:eek:

23. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    You shouldn't refer to Republicans that way.

Dr. Wankler, xtomx and dapip repped this.
  24. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    I'm not afraid of rural areas. As a matter of fact, we usually go on vacation to a rural place, like the Florida Springs, or the Smokey Mountains, but I prefer the convenience of work and travel from a big city.

Not for the hurricane but for the dismal state of the insurance industry in the state. And not solely on DeathSantis, but on GQP who has controlled the state congress since forever and had only kicked the can down the road.

https://www.politico.com/newsletter...coming-for-floridas-insurance-market-00059952

The cost of property coverage in Florida was nearly three times more than the national average before Hurricane Ian made landfall. Huge losses — exacerbated by natural disasters requiring tremendous payouts — sent six of the state’s smaller insurance carriers into insolvency earlier this year. The destruction caused by the latest storm will only send the rates offered by private carriers even higher, which will likely push more homeowners into coverage offered through Citizens Property Insurance Corp., Florida’s state-backed insurer of last resort.

That doesn’t take into account those who’ve already lost everything and won’t be extended a lifeline to rebuild. More than two-thirds of the homes in the nine counties that President Joe Biden has designated a federal disaster area aren’t covered under the government's National Flood Insurance Program. While federal disaster assistance assures support for modest repairs and short-term emergency costs, it won’t make them whole.

“Florida is already having a problem with [insurance] availability. It’s having a problem with affordability. And it’s having a problem with reliability when insurance companies are going insolvent,” Nancy Watkins, a principal at Milliman actuarial consultants, told Tom Frank of E&E News. “All three of the pillars of a sustainable market are under threat.”

The timing of the crisis is particularly brutal given Florida’s recent efforts to attract big financial institutions and new development to its business-friendly confines. The state’s comparative affordability and livability to cold and bureaucratic northeast cities has been central to the sales pitch.

Earlier this year, Gov. Ron DeSantis, a Republican heavyweight who’s widely believed to be planning a presidential run in 2024, sought to remedy the state’s flagging insurance market by spearheading a $2 billion reinsurance program to tamp down costs. State regulators later designated Citizens as a financial backstop for any insurance company that can’t pay off its claims.

Chesco United repped this.
  25. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Florida is the worst. Don't know where you live, but I assume property values are way lower (which factors in the insurance) and also I imagine would be cheaper to rebuild, than say a property in a hurricane prone area. Also, fewer drivers and less likely accidents factor in. Not saying that there are not positives to live in rural 'Murica, but there's also a trade-off, if you like buying in other than Sam's or eating in Golden Corral.