NSR: A gun on Every Corner: Discuss the NRA, Gun Ownership and All Those Non-Mass Shootings..

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by dapip, Feb 20, 2015.

Tags:
?

Do we need more strict gun laws?

1. Repeal the second baby!

54 vote(s)
    51.4%
  2. We need better mental healthcare..

38 vote(s)
    36.2%
  3. A discussion on the topic would be interesting..

29 vote(s)
    27.6%
  4. That's Liberul talk for them to take may gunz!

7 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. You can pry my gun from my cold dead hands..

15 vote(s)
    14.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. The Jitty Slitter

The Jitty Slitter Moderator
    Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Yes there are at least 3 different civil wars

La Pierre vs Ack Mac

North vs Brewer/La Pierre

Members vs Board

Also multiple grifts and evidence of corruption. This has crippled the organisation financially.

2. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Good
    Good
    Good

"This had crippled the organisation financially."

Very good, indeed.

dapip repped this.
  3. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    They've been hit by triple whammy. First up was the fall out of the Ack Mac era, the North scandal and resulting audit which led to exposure of huge losses. Then La Pierre hired Brewer to run the audit, and he effectively seem to supplant Ack Mac and run up frankly insane invoicing. All these scandals together led to over $100m+ withheld in bequests and then on top of the Covid hit so they can't do much of their usual fund raising.

It shows why the AGs action is necessary because the members have been unable to force any reform or proper financial oversight

dapip and xtomx repped this.
  4. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Again, good. I hope the systemic corruption, foreign influence and lack of oversight are fully exposed. I hope the NRA goes broke and disappears.

I have no problem with the practitioners of any legal activity organizing. I am all for it.

However, as we all know, the NRA long ago ceased being a collection of gun owners. It has been a political operative and lobbying organization for gun manufacturers. It has been infiltrated by foreign actors and has been a money laundering operation for years. They have asserted political power that is significantly disproportionate to their size.

Good riddance.

QuakeAttack and Auriaprottu repped this.
  5. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    I wish you guys would listen to the Gangster Capitalism podcast because the scale of the corruption is so broad and varied as to be hard to summarise.

tldr; the NRA corporate structure is split between the charitable organisation (under investigation) and a commercial arm which is not subject to the same reporting.

Ack Mac was a relatively unsophisticated invoicing scam - ostensibly operating as a 3rd party PR firm but effectively being the illegal arm of the NRA

Ack Mac runs up illegitimate expenses or enters into corrupt transactions (a house for La Pierre LOL??) and then invoices these 'expenses' back to the NRA as "projects"

This came to light when North was hired on a multi-million dollar salary to what was supposed to be a voluntary position. So La Pierre cooked up a scam where North was paid by Ack Mac who would then invoice this back to the NRA. La Pierre (laughably) claimed to have not approved all this. But of course this is a fraud on members whose funds are diverted via this invoicing carousel.

There were many more examples of this. e.g. NRA execs who had Ack Mac credit cards that were used for lavish entertainment. Ack Mac would then invoice the NRA to recover the money under a generic invoicing code.

The NRA CFO was revealed to be a fraudster and it is suspected he cleared these invoices which came outside of the usual arrangements via a slush fund within the NRAs finances.

6. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I have read a copious amount of literature about the corruption at the NRA.

They are deeply, deeply corrupt.

I suspect the podcast you mentioned would confirm much of what I read and surprise me with additional information.

The Jitty Slitter repped this.
  7. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    It kind of concerns me that so much of this info is public yet we haven't seen criminal prosecutions?

xtomx repped this.
  8. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Awesome (and jaw dropping) podcast. The most amazing thing I have learned, besides the incredibly corrupt ways of the NRA) is that LaPierre at some point was a decent, well-liked guy. Unbelievable.

9. EvanJ

EvanJ Member+

Manchester United
    United States
    Mar 30, 2004
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    A bar in Patchogue, New York is taking bets on how many people will be shot in New York City and Chicago on Labor Day weekend from Saturday through Monday.

10. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    I hope it isn't Brick House Brewing. That place is pretty good.

11. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    So the podcast released a new episode

It details how La Pierre has managed to retain control of the board for decades by stacking the board with toadies

He achieved this by using the NRAs own money for secret operations to pump one candidate. The guy is such a criminal.

12. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Do you think updating us all on each new podcast you're listening to is the best use of y/our time?

If so, I'd recommend the Judge John Hodgman show.

13. The Jitty Slitter

Staff Member

Bayern München
    Germany
    Jul 23, 2004
    Fascist Hellscape
    Club:
    FC Sankt Pauli
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    It's the most indepth expose on the NRA that exists

Via a whistleblower, they uncovered new info on how La Pierre's scam has worked for decades.

Given this thread is about the NRA, seems kinda relevant.

dapip, soccernutter and sitruc repped this.
  14. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    #3414 xtomx, Sep 1, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
    Bumped from the Trump tweet thread
    @superdave I am not attacking your comment, as I have seen it several places already.

Also, I am not the one to lecture anyone about the second amendment, as it is not really my area of knowledge, but your comment starting me thinking and I wanted to quickly respond.

I would not call it a brilliant strategy. It may work for him, for exactly the reason you mention, but it is not a brilliant strategy.

1. It is a weak defense. The second amendment allows one to "keep and bear arms" not indiscriminately shoot several people. Again, I agree that it could work for this little f'er, but overall, it is weak sauce.
    Of course, defense attorneys can bring up any defense that is (Rule 3.1) not "frivolous" and can bring up a "good faith argument for an extension, modification or reversal of existing law."*

"Self-defense" (at least how the incident was described by Trump) would be a stronger argument (and would be more likely to work).

2. The prosecutor will "shoot holes" right through it.
    What militia?
    How is this militia "well-regulated"? -the key point
    Who is the head of this militia?
    Where were you trained?
    Do you have any "enlistment" papers?
    Please describe the command structure.
    Etc.
    It took my about 15 seconds to come up with those questions. A prosecutor with any time and talent could craft a much better argument.

3. If it worked, it could set off unintended consequences for the pro second amendment crowd.
    a. It could force Congress to finally address the idiocy of the wording of the second amendment. Congress could declare that anyone who wants to own a gun would have to be a member of a "well-regulated" militia.
    And NOBODY (and I mean nobody) wants that to happen.
    b. A second could be that Congress could look at what it means to "keep and bear arms" and craft legislation to define that.
    Of course, Congress would never do that, as that would take real effort and guts, but there are many potential consequences of successfully raising such a specious defense.

* Model Rule 3.1:
    A lawyer shall not bring or defend a proceeding, or assert or controvert an issue therein, unless there is a basis in law and fact for doing so that is not frivolous, which includes a good faith argument for an extension, modification or reversal of existing law. A lawyer for the defendant in a criminal proceeding, or the respondent in a proceeding that could result in incarceration, may nevertheless so defend the proceeding as to require that every element of the case be established.

chaski, sitruc, QuakeAttack and 4 others repped this.
  15. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    apart from a couple of very brief passing comments, I've seen little about how this idiot's age will be a factor.

I think he is too young (not yet 18) to even carry a gun - correct? if so, what affect would that have on the prosecution of his case?

16. raza_rebel

raza_rebel Member+

Dec 11, 2000
    Club:
    Univ de Chile
    #3416 raza_rebel, Sep 1, 2020
    Last edited: Sep 1, 2020
    For the lawyers - If they go this route, would they be exposing the other members of their militia as accessories? Would this open up a slew of civil and personal lawsuits to 'responsible gun owners" who were there with Kyle Rittenhouse?

17. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    As one of "the lawyers" here on Big Soccer, my point was partially about unintended consequences and that this strategy has not been well considered by his lawyer.

There is a "risk of exposure" but it is a slight risk.

Your argument is somewhat akin to "respondeat superior" in employment law.

If he was in a militia and was trained by them, there is a possibility of going after the militia for "negligent training" but I doubt it would fly.

I really doubt any criminal charges as "accomplices" as you mention would work.

The third could be some sort of conspiracy (if the militia members prearranged the shooting) but that would be a stretch, as well.

Finally, if he was in a militia (and he was not, I imagine), I am sure they would have a battery of liability waivers. Of course, there are ways around them, but I would assume they would have them.

Again, if he and his legal team go down this road, it MAY end up okay for him (although I highly doubt it), and would likely be bad for the militia people in the long run.

18. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    On an opposite approach, why is the prosecution asking for first degree murder charges? Isn’t that difficult to prove beyond reasonable doubt?

19. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It depends on whether he had parental consent or not. Obviously, carrying it across state lines might be an issue, but if he had permission from his parents to go to the event and to take the weapon with him, it may be sufficient to protect him from the underage carrying of a weapon. If he didn't have permission, that likely makes it an illegal possession of a firearm by a minor. Even then, he's been charged with first degree murder, so he'll be tried as an adult and a long jail term. the minor in possession of a firearm is likely just seasoning on top of the murder charge.

xtomx and SamScouse repped this.
  20. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe? But that's usually just the top level charge. He's also likely been charged with 2nd degree murder and manslaughter as well.

That being said, he did bring a weapon from another state with the express intent of "defending local businesses" when he had no ties to the local businesses that he was "defending". That could be enough justification to bring a 1st degree charge.

The Jitty Slitter, dapip and xtomx repped this.
  21. Pønch

Pønch Saprissista

Aug 23, 2006
    Donde siempre
    That defense of him being part of a militia feels like a desperate Hail Mary. The first question he would have to answer is "who's your commanding officer?".

22. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    It also depends on whether he had a FOID.

In Illinois, children can obtain a FOID card before they are 21 if 1) the parent consents and 2) the parent has (or is eligible for) a FOID card.

If not, then there is a serious question about how he obtained the weapon.

23. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It seems like there is speculation that Kyle's mom may have driven him to the protest and may have been the person he was on the phone with when he was overheard saying he killed someone. Which also brings to question whether she picked him up and took him back home, which would make her an accomplice after the fact...

xtomx and dapip repped this.
  24. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The gun is apparently registered to his mom, so likely another situation where Mommy buys a gun for her son.

xtomx repped this.
  25. SamScouse

SamScouse Member+

Jun 1, 2015
    Toronto
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    yeah but extenuating circumstances - it was past his bedtime.

russ, soccernutter, xtomx and 2 others repped this.