NSR: A gun on Every Corner: Discuss the NRA, Gun Ownership and All Those Non-Mass Shootings..

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by dapip, Feb 20, 2015.

Tags:
?

Do we need more strict gun laws?

1. Repeal the second baby!

54 vote(s)
    51.4%
  2. We need better mental healthcare..

38 vote(s)
    36.2%
  3. A discussion on the topic would be interesting..

29 vote(s)
    27.6%
  4. That's Liberul talk for them to take may gunz!

7 vote(s)
    6.7%
  5. You can pry my gun from my cold dead hands..

15 vote(s)
    14.3%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Q*bert Jones III

Q*bert Jones III The People's Poet

Feb 12, 2005
    Woodstock, NY
    Club:
    DC United
    Ain't that America?

dapip and Cascarino's Pizzeria repped this.
  2. Cascarino's Pizzeria

Apr 29, 2001
    New Jersey, USA
    Lots of gun massacres
    For you and me

msilverstein47 repped this.
  3. charlie15

charlie15 Member+

Mar 9, 2000
    Bethesda, Md
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess that topic may fit here since the Va assembly is about to legislate on Gun control in the state.

4. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Red state logic?

1223278777045856257 is not a valid tweet id

xtomx repped this.
  5. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    sure sounds like a red state:

https://www.courier-journal.com/sto...calls-protecting-second-amendment/2858260001/

Pop-up tents lined the soggy grass outside the Capitol, under which attendees could get a free cup of coffee or hot cocoa, join a NRA mailing list, or enter a raffle to win an AR-15 courtesy of the Kentucky-based nonprofit Vets Serving Vets. A food truck from DT's Rack of Ribs & Catering sold pulled pork and sides.

6. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I assume they had permits to carry their guns in the building.

Just because people do not like the 2nd amendment, it does not mean that everyone person with a gun is automatically a criminal.

stanger repped this.
  7. roby

roby Member+

SIRLOIN SALOON FC, PITTSFIELD MA
    Feb 27, 2005
    So Cal
    It's not liking or disliking the 2nd so much as the bastardization of it! :coffee:

Auriaprottu, dapip and xtomx repped this.
  8. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Northern Wisconsin, but not far from civilization
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Having a gun and a permit does NOT mean that person is not also carrying something else that is metal and potentially dangerous
    -other guns
    -knives
    -more ammunition

Of course, they better not have:
    -keys
    -nail files
    -coins

If having a gun is not a reason for going through security, what is?

soccernutter and dapip repped this.
  9. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    This has absolutely nothing to do with the "second amendment."

Don't fall into their rhetoric.

By the way, if they needed "permits," the second amendment argument fails.

10. msilverstein47

msilverstein47 Member+

Jan 11, 1999
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    visitors to the capitol building are banned from entering with umbrellas or sticks that are used for protest signs because they can be “used as weapons”

ElNaranja and xtomx repped this.
  11. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    As I have said in these threads, I run a couple of clinics at the local VA facilities.

I have always found it interesting that they have signs that state something to the effect of "No weapons of any kind allowed on this facility" everywhere.

If they are not allowed at a place filled with people who were trained by and required by the United States government to possess guns, I wonder why?

12. soccernutter

soccernutter Moderator
    Staff Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    Aug 22, 2001
    Near the mountains.
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My initial thought was "just because he has a gun means he gets to go around?" Why can't he put the gun aside, like he would car keys or a cell phone, and go through the metal detector? Just like @xtomx, I also objected not to the fact the guy has a gun, but to the lack of safety presented in allowing him to go around the metal detector.

dapip, taosjohn and xtomx repped this.
  13. Yoshou

Yoshou Fan of the CCL Champ

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because it would unnecessarily hold-up the line and do nothing to increase the security of the building.

If you’d notice the guys were all wearing body armor that was fully geared up, were wearing cargo pants that was likely full of crap, likely had steel toed boots, etc, etc. Basically a ton of crap that will set off metal detectors, most/all of which are just going to be handed back to them. So they can waste a good five minutes per cosplayer and do nothing to improve building security, or they can just send them around the detector, put a sticker on them, and send them on their way...

14. dapip

dapip Member+

Sep 5, 2003
    South Florida
    Club:
    Millonarios Bogota
    Nat'l Team:
    Colombia
    Well, there's a lot of good guys with a gun, so nothing to worry about...

xtomx repped this.
  15. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Those cosplayers ARE the security risk.

Yes, it makes sense not to "hold up the line" and allow the actual threats through without checks.

But somebody might have a sandwich wrapped in aluminum foil. Oh, the humanity.

16. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm going to guess that Kentucky state law does not agree with your assessment and explicitly allows firearms to be carried into the building. As such, the people working the metal detectors are bound by state law and not your opinion.

17. stanger

stanger BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 29, 2008
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I doubt the people there showing exactly what they are carrying are the risk.

18. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    You both missed my point.

It is not the guns that they are carrying that pose the risk such that they should be subject to going through security.
    (Personally, I think it is a risk. That is my "opinion" and is not the issue.)

It is what else they might be carrying that is of concern, and, of course, the purpose of security check-points and metal detectors in the first place. Allowing them by-pass security because they are armed is incredibly stupid.

Essentially, if any "evil-doer" (to quote George W Bush) or terrorist wanted to create havoc in Kentucky, ALL they would have to do is show up with a gun exposed on their hip and they would be waived right into the building and around security.

That is a goddamned frightening thought.

Also, would they simply waive through somebody packing a gun if that person was African American or Muslim American or Hispanic or, worse of all, a Democrat?

Funkfoot repped this.
  19. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't know the purpose of those guys visiting the Capitol, but lemmie axe you dis: Why do they need to have their gun with them when visiting, and why can't they just wear you know, regular clothes and not all this toy soldier stuff?

xtomx repped this.
  20. ceezmad

ceezmad Member+

Mar 4, 2010
    Chicago
    Club:
    Chicago Red Stars
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kentucky has a right to carry law. So if you carry a gun on you all the time, then it is basically part of your regular clothes, or say the same as a cellphone.

Now that is for a hand gun, I highly doubt that these guys carry their AR's like that every time they go to work or so. But if they do, they have the right to go to many public/Government buildings in Kentucky.

Man like terrorist would have interest in blowing up anything in KY?

Plus

[​IMG]

ElNaranja and xtomx repped this.
  21. ToMhIlL

ToMhIlL Member+

Feb 18, 1999
    Boxborough, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Fair enough, but it's not like you're gonna find an 8-point buck hiding in the jury box. So you could go to a UK basketball game, and since you're such a yuge fan, you get worked up about the game, especially against big a rival. So the ref makes an obviously horrendous call and it costs your beloved Wildcats the game... You're just so f*&^%$# mad at the ref that you just wanna kill him!

Lucky for you, the Second Amendment makes that more than just a figure of speech.... But what could possibly go wrong?

22. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #3297 Yoshou, Feb 3, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
    Because showing up to social gatherings in full costume is an important part of how cosplayers interact with their community. Much like how a Naruto cosplayer would not show up at an anime convention wearing only a headband, or, heaven forbid, the wrong headband, these guys have a certain standard of attire that they must attain before they can gain acceptance from their fellow militia cosplayers.

ceezmad repped this.
  23. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    @ceezmad could you please diagram this sentence:

Man like terrorist would have interest in blowing up anything in KY?

I understand the 12 words individually, but the sentence escapes me.

Do you mean that "no terrorist would have an interest in blowing up anything in KY?"

If that is the case, I would point you to Oklahoma City.
    Who would have thought the worst terrorist event in US history to that point (and second worst ever) would be in Oklahoma City?

Plus, has the Bowling Green Massacre already faded from your consciousness?
    #NeverForget

24. Yoshou

May 12, 2009
    Seattle
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Because waving through a guy that is legally allowed to open carry while wearing body armor, an AR of some variety (possibly converted to fully auto), and several hundred rounds is likely more dangerous than whatever else you imagine them to be carrying. The capital police can either spend 5 minutes clearing a single person who they are likely to give back the most dangerous thing they are carrying, or they can process 5-10 other people waiting in line. It's a simple risk assessment. Processing the cosplayers to make sure they aren't carrying anything that isn't allowed doesn't make them any less dangerous from a security perspective.

Oh, also.. Having two police officers (or security guards, I'm assuming these are capital police) standing behind a plastic table inspecting bags and sending people through metal detectors is little more than security theater. There are so many ways to get dangerous items pass the officers that it doesn't really improve safety beyond the appearance of improving safety.

25. xtomx

xtomx Member+

Chicago Fire
    Sep 6, 2001
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    1. Having a gun in plain sight does not mean you do not have other items hidden. Perhaps it would still be a good idea to check for those other items. You disagree, I see.

2. If, as you say, a) checking people who are armed would not make them any less dangerous and
    b) have police/security inspecting packages "doesn't really improve safety beyond the appearance of improving safety."
    then why have security at all? Just dump the whole lot of it.