A first-round playoff suggestion . . .

Discussion in 'MLS: General' started by KCWiz, Nov 10, 2004.

1. KCWiz

KCWiz New Member

May 8, 2003
    Manhattan, Kansas
    I was thinking...to prevent the CLB-NE crap from happening again, my father suggested that the higher seed either plays at home two games, or plays at home for one game. I definitely agree with this statement. But you say, "Oh, that's not fair for the lower seed." But it should be unfair. The higher seed deserves to have a much greater advantage than hosting the overtime. They earned it in the regular season. Teams like New England (although they played valiantly in the playoffs) do not deserve ONE single home game throughout the playoffs. Hosting the opening game is crap. The higher seed should host BOTH games. I believe that we shouldn't worry about making sure that all teams host a game for their fans. The highest seeded team deserves such an advantage that they are almost assured a spot in MLS Cup. The fact that DC United is in the championship game shows just how much of a crapshoot the playoffs are.

2. Revolt

Revolt Member+

Jun 16, 1999
    Davis, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Apparently, Hunt believes that all playoff teams need to be awarded with a home game.

3. Jen87Roo

Jen87Roo New Member

Nov 9, 2004
    Dirty Bean
    I don't think it really makes that much of a difference where the game is played. You can't say Columbus didn't win because they played in Foxboro. Sure it did give NE a small advantage but considering each team's rankings in the Eastern Conference Columbus should hvae won both games no matter where they played.

4. Sundevil9

Sundevil9 Member

Nov 23, 1999
    Reston, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    The whole object of the first round is to give the top 8 teams a chance at the Cup. It also offers at least one last chance at some income for the season. If the first round is cut to one game, you might as well just take the top two teams and then go to the cup.

The system is only not fair if your team isn't sharp enough to play for an extra couple of weeks.

5. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Higher seeds have won over 70% of playoff series in the history of MLS, and eleven out of twelve in the last two years. I wouldn't call the playoffs a crapshoot.

6. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    Its not a crapshoot for those of you that don't watch sports for the competition. For those that do, its a complete crapshoot. Just a guess, but for those that support the status quo, you don't really follow any of the other leagues, do you?

7. Mountainia

Mountainia Member

Jun 19, 2002
    Section 207, Row 7
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

...is to not screw with a winning formula, and play the same team that had been doing great during the regular season.

Really, what's your point? That lower seed should not be allowed to win? MLS has been doing the home and home for what, 2 years? And only one (the aforementioned CLB-NE crap) has had the lower seed winning? And that was because CLB blew it.

I'd prefer single elimination home games for the higher seed, and I'd prefer no more than 40% of teams making the playoffs. But I wouldn't base my arguments on that series.

8. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    Upsets happen. That's why you play the games. So long as the upsets remain in the minority, the system is working.

9. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    This higher seed winning more often than the lower seed is your acid test for a good system? Really? One question Sanguine, do you follow any other leagues aside from MLS?

10. KCWiz

KCWiz New Member

May 8, 2003
    Manhattan, Kansas
    The lower seed should not have that good of a chance to win. When it's home and away like that, it's almost a toss up as to who gets the advantage. I think that Columbus and Kansas City deserved easier roads to the HDC.

11. Sir Ek

Sir Ek Member

Sep 5, 2001
    We can always go back to the best-of-three with the higher seed getting two home games if you wish. I don't mind the home-and-home format for the first round, though it might be more equitable to have it for both rounds then a one-game MLS Cup.

As for Columbus, they have only themselves to blame for missing TWO penalty kicks in their home game. (Don't get me started on the powder-puff kicks Paule & Sanneh took.) Even if they make one, they go to the 30-minute sudden death with momentum and possibly carry the series.

12. DCU4Life

DCU4Life Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Section 130 RFK
    This is what gives you away as just another bitter fan. The fact that the number 2 seed made it to the cup proves it is a crap shoot? That makes no sense at all, especially since DC was the hottest team going into the postseason. Yes, I consider the team that won 7 of 8 to finish the season hotter than the team that won 5 and tied 3 over the same stretch.

13. Eric B

Eric B Member

Feb 21, 2000
    the LBC
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah I only watch for the cheerleaders.. :middlefinger:

What in the flying farg are you babbling about?

14. christhestud

christhestud Member

Jun 4, 2004
    I tend to agree with your point that advantage should be maximized, but I completely disagree with your statement that "The fact that DC United is in the championship game shows just how much of a crapshoot the playoffs are." Were you watching the last 8 weeks or so? Because if you were, I think you'd see DC United is hardly a "crapshoot" type team. Quite frankly, they were playing the most best ball in the league - even better than Columbus - down the stretch. DC has the offensive firepower, they play with more creativity, flare, and quite frankly skill than C-bus. It's hardly a surprise DC is here, before the playoffs even started they were picked to make MLS Cup by a majority of people polled on bigsoccer and by many of the mlsnet.com guys. Bottom line: the system may not provide enough advantageto make the season meaningful, you can make good arguments both ways. But we DO still have the two best teams in MLS playing in this final, no doubt in my mind. Can't wait to watch.

15. Sanguine

Sanguine Member

Jul 4, 2003
    Reston, VA
    the higher seed winning significantly more often than the lower seed is the acid test, yes. That's why you play the season - to win the higher seed for the playoffs.

Yes, I follow a multitude of other leagues in many sports - so?

16. KCWiz

KCWiz New Member

May 8, 2003
    Manhattan, Kansas
    Why should DC get all the reward when New England did the job and beat the Beast of the East?

17. MikeLastort2

MikeLastort2 Member

Mar 28, 2002
    Takoma Park, MD
    Are you that afraid of United beating the Wizards on Sunday that you'd rather be playing the Crew?

Hell, why not just get rid of the entire playoff system completely, and award the championship to the team with the most points at the end of the season. Guess what? It still wouldn't be the Wizards.

18. KCWiz

KCWiz New Member

May 8, 2003
    Manhattan, Kansas
    I'm sick of everybody saying that I'm jealous or afraid of Adunited. That's not why I brought this up. I believe that it's not fair for Columbus to have to play on the road AT ALL after winning the Supporters' Shield. D.C. has nothing to do with that. I meant to say that D.C. sort of snuck their way in without having to play the Crew.

19. DCU4Life

DCU4Life Member

Jul 22, 2003
    Section 130 RFK
    That may have been your intention, and you may have a valid point about home field advantage. However, you also said, "The fact that DC United is in the championship game shows just how much of a crapshoot the playoffs are." That is the statement drawing all of the arguments. Here is why that statement makes no sense:

- DC was in second place in the east, not far behind the Crew
    - DC was the hottest team in MLS (not just the east) going into the playoffs
    - The odds at a craps table, depending on where you place your bet, are far less than 50%
    - The odds of the number 2 seed / hottest team in the league making it to the championship game are far greater than 50%, no matter how the playoffs are structured

In other words, by concluding your statement with the DC United comment, you draw focus away from your original argument and begin a new argument. Worse yet, you begin a new argument that you are likely to lose because it makes no sense. Next time try sticking to the original point, and then start a new thread with the anti-United statement. Hey, its just a suggestion.