A fine summation of AFC's woes.

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Senor Askew, Apr 29, 2003.

1. Senor Askew

Senor Askew Member

Jan 19, 2001
    San Francisco, CA.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Great stuff here:

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,1563,945440,00.html

For me this article is almost letter perfect. It encapsulates the situation perfectly.

"Since January 29, Arsenal have led against Liverpool, Newcastle, Aston Villa, Manchester United and Bolton before being forced to settle for a draw. Ten points were torn from their grasp and the inability to close out a win also deprived Arsenal of a Champions League quarter-final."

"All the same, the joys of 2002 did not arise solely from those rippling, imaginative attacks. Tony Adams, in the weeks before retirement, coerced his protesting body into a few more defensive labours."

Wow. Damn good writing.

It's painful to think about how badly this team has faltered. :(

--

Believe.

2. Mike Toole

Mike Toole New Member

Dec 23, 2002
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking about this very problem earlier today. If Manchester United don't falter, we'll have lost the title because of too many draws.

It's the death of 1,000 cuts. :(

I won't give up hope until the very last game is played-- and if Arsenal can't reach up and seize a miracle double... well, that's what next season is for. But for now, I believe.

3. chicago_fan

chicago_fan New Member

Oct 9, 2001
    Ouch. Well said.

The only reason this season has come this close is late game let-ups. Wenger always harps on lack of concentration. These guys are professionals; they don't suddenly, 2-1 up in the 80th minute, start thinking about what they're going to have for breakfast the next morning. The issue is organization and leadership. Late game substitutions have killed us. We've seen defenders brought in to maintain the lead, and invariably the shake up in back leads to confusion and a ball squibbing out for a corner or the congestion of an extra man leads to a foul around the box. And defending set pieces hasn't been our specialty.

4. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I read the Guardian piece this morning (as it's my paper of choice) and I am in complete agreement with what the writer says.

While Wenger has spent money on the midfield and forwards (£12m on Wiltord, £10m on Henry, £7m on Pires), he has spent nothing on the defence, £2m for Cygan is the most he has spent. He has mentioned the back four many times in the past. Indeed when he first took over, I remember him being quoted as saying that the back four needed replacing then, but after he saw them in action he left them to it for a few years.

Well the problems are acute. We need to get quality defenders and a goalkeeper NOW. If any money is spent this summer, spending it further forward than the defence will be money badly spent. I'm not one for just splashing out for the sake of it. But unless he has some diamonds coming through from the youth sides that I'm unaware of, then he needs to sort the problem out with the cheque book.

5. chicago_fan

chicago_fan New Member

Oct 9, 2001
    The strength of the youth squad looks like it mirrors the first-team with lots of talented attack-minded players. Volz is the only youth defender I've heard described as ready to breakthrough. Juan possibly, but he would only be needed as back up. We're OK on the left side.

Center half is the clear priority. Has anyone seen the video clip of Chivu on uefa.com? Go to the fan's XI and check him out. The goal line clearance is magnificent, the way the ball beats him and then he races to cover the open space. I didn't see either CL game against Ajax, but I'd be curious to see what people thought of him.

Getting Chivu means splashing a lot of money on a single player, but I think it would be worth it. I would hate AW to gamble on a player who hasn't proven himeslf. Especially with Senderos already coming through.

6. kygunner

kygunner New Member

Aug 12, 2001
    Winchester KY USA
    Senor, you couldnt be more right. Says everything I could or wanted to say. Not only did we give up equalising goals for draws there were times when we allowed competition back into the game and had to score a winner. Very few matches this year, 2003, where we were in command and won 2-0 or more.

7. Mike Toole

Mike Toole New Member

Dec 23, 2002
    Cambridge, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hmmm. On the subject of defenders, how about that Frankie Simek? Has he been playing a lot for the reserves? It sure would be nice to see him come in as a sub next season, or more if he's ready for it...

8. DoctorK

DoctorK New Member

Jan 8, 2002
    NorthBank, Riverbend
    Just think what a difference own goals have made. We might have been lucky at Fulham first Sunday of November, but two in the past few weeks have cost us four points.

9. 442

442 Member

Dec 28, 2000
    Secret ArseAm HQ
    I would LOVE to see Frank, but honestly he's still a couple of years away from even sniffing first team football. I would say he's probably stil too young, inexperienced and not big enough to play in the back in the physical premiership. Guys like Hasselbaink would brush him aside.

No knock on Frank, who's made some great strides, just not ready yet.

10. martymarts

martymarts Member

Mar 11, 2003
    NYC
    Getting Chivu means splashing a lot of money on a single player, but I think it would be worth it. I would hate AW to gamble on a player who hasn't proven himeslf.

All I have to say is "Rio Ferdinand"!!!

11. martymarts

martymarts Member

Mar 11, 2003
    NYC
    In a perverse way, our current defensive shortcomings could be a blessing in disguise!

If the Mancs slip up against Charlton or Everton goal difference may end up deciding the title. The fact that our only hope is to go out and keep the opposition busy with aggressive attacking football will mean the emphasis will be exactly where it needs to be; on scoring as many goals as possible?

12. JohnW

JohnW Member

Apr 27, 2001
    St. Paul
    Chivu is a well-established international playing on a team that went one round further than the Gunners (and were a cheap injury-time goal away from the semis) in the Champions League. He is a known quantity and will command maximum transfer dollars this summer, should he desire to leave Ajax.

I could not agree more with the author of the Guardian article and his comments about Tony Adams. The difference between last year and this year (as well as two years ago) is that last year we had a solid, determined defensive performance to back up the attractive and productive offense--especially in the run-in to the title.

Arsenal have easily scored enough goals to win the title, but we have conceded stupid goals late and that WILL cost us the title this year.

Wenger must sign a rock-solid central defender this off-season. And I'm fine if it is Chivu.

13. michaec

michaec Member

Arsenal
    England
    May 24, 2001
    Essex
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    You would have thought they'd be trying to attack considering we needed goals last week, but a mixture of easing up and Wenger's defensive substitutions put paid to that idea.

14. martymarts

martymarts Member

Mar 11, 2003
    NYC
    Doesn't look like he's going to have that option this week. It's a bit like the Russian Roulette scene in ' The Deer Hunter' ? The only way to survive is to put a couple more bullets in the chamber!!!!!!!!!