a farewell to Serie A (or: I'm not bothering with monthly threads anymore)

Discussion in 'Palermo' started by Salvatore Giuseppe, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Insigne4BalonD'or

SSC Napoli
    Italy
    Apr 6, 2017
    In Hiding with Sal's mom
    Agreed, I also think Catania will be up in Serie B in a couple years, probably by the time Palermo makes it back up to Serie A. I think Lecce and Parma are the 2 favourites for the promotion playoff.

2. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Palermo win for the first time since FEBRUARY 5th. Just the 4th time all season.

Too little too late is an understatement. Palermo would need to get 11/16 points remaining to even have a shout to get promoted And that would require Empoli to not get another point.

Meanwhile Trapani has fallen back down into a play-out spot after a loss last week to Carpi, and a win this week. They are 4 points clear of direct relegation with 3 games left, and only 1 point off of guaranteed safety.

Insigne4BalonD'or repped this.
  3. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Empoli wins 3-1, and Palermo are officially, mathematically relegated.

Doesn't matter that they just tied up their own game late.

4. Salvatore Giuseppe

May 4, 2012
    Club:
    Chicago
    Trapani lost their last three games of the season, including a final week matchup against their immediate relegation opponent meaning they finished in 19th, and 5 points behind 18th place, which cancels the play-out matchup. A sad end to a near miraculous turnaround after a miserable first half of their season.

Trapani are (unfortunately) relegated to Lega Pro just a year after coming a game away from promotion to Serie A.

Catania and Siracusa were both eliminated in the first round of the Lega Pro promotion playoffs.

No Sicilian derbies next year sadly.

5. falvo

falvo Member+

Mar 27, 2005
    San Jose & Florence
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    It may be a good thing there is no Catania -Palermo derby! RIP Filippo Raciti!