News: A "European" Superleague.

Discussion in 'BigSoccer Polls' started by YankBastard, Jul 15, 2009.

1. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    So when Milan play Inter or Juventus in the league you're thinking "good god not again!".

2. ShevaDani

ShevaDani Member

Jul 14, 2009
    MIGHTY EUROPE:D
    Club:
    FC Steaua Bucuresti
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Yes.:D

3. BocaFan

BocaFan Member+

Aug 18, 2003
    Queens, NY
    Except good sex with someone new beats having sex with someone who is great in bed for the 100th time.

4. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Except that if the league ONLY contained the big teams then not all of them could win. So then you will have the teams who stand out and then you'll have other teams who end up like the Detroit Lions. So how great is it going to be to watch top 3 Manchester United against last-place Juventus? Not very exciting at all.

Then, everyone will complain that watching AC Milan and Liverpool is boring because they are just "mid-table sides". Etc.

So then you're back in the same cycle except now you're stuck with a very small number of teams that will never change because pro/rel is gone.

Doesn't sound very good to me.

5. OklaBoston

OklaBoston New Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I would be more likely to support such a league if it DID have promotion/relegation. Even if, as usually happens, the majority of promoted teams were to get relegated back down the following season. Giving fans of teams in small markets reason to hope is a good thing.

6. OklaBoston

OklaBoston New Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    To fans of Liverpool or AC Milan such a game would NOT be boring.

7. ZeekLTK

ZeekLTK Member

Mar 5, 2004
    Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    Norway
    Just like right now fans of Bolton and Blackburn don't think a Bolton-Blackburn game is boring. So then what's the point of changing what we have now?

Like I said, all that will happen is that it will make AC Milan - Liverpool, which right now is pretty exciting because those teams are generally among the best in their leagues, less appealing to neutral fans because those would just be "mid-table sides". AKA in a "superleague", Milan-Liverpool would become the equivalent of Bolton-Blackburn in the EPL. How is that good?

8. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I'll do Beyonce for the 10000th time instead of some new skank. Sorry but you're wrong. You just never get tired of the big games.

9. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    That's kind of the point. They wouldn't be big games any more. They'd be run of the mill games.

10. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    United v Arsenal is a run of the mill game?

11. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    it would be if it was 13th v 15th.

12. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    That's fine I guess. Some people only like the games between the top four. For a Gooner playing United would be big no matter what the league position.

13. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    fyp

14. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    as would Blackburn v Bolton for a fan of either club, as said above.

The lack of a title battle in the Arsenal v Man Utd match would massively take the edge off though. It's only the title race that make Arsenal v Man Utd a really big game for either club. There's no natural rivalry. Even back in the early 80s, when both were bumbling along nowhere near a title, Arsenal v Man Utd was always one of the more attractive fixtures on the calendar, but there was none of the importance attachted to the fixture now.

15. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    That's more the other way around.

16. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    So you're saying it wouldn't be a run of the mill game afterall. Glad atleast you can admit when you're wrong. Most mods just delete posts when they make a ass of themselves.

17. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    Oh I just realized you're not a mod. Hmmm why I always thought you were...

18. YankBastard

YankBastard Na Na Na Na NANANANAAA!

Jun 18, 2005
    Estados Unidos
    Club:
    AS Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    To a fanboy like you who obviously doesn't know much about traditional derbys, it probably is.

19. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Nope.

In the early 80s, Arsenal v Man Utd was a bigger game than Arsenal v Swansea. That doesn't mean it was anything like the high-stakes highly anticipated fixture it is today. That's what you are refusing to see. You just aren't appreciating how much the title race adds to the importance of the fixture.

If you really don't think the visit of Spurs back then was a bigger fixture then you seriously should just consider keeping your opinions to yourself.

Other posters aren't even capable of that, it seems.

20. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I've been a Gooner for over 20 years and I've been to London more times then you can imagine. So don't go fanboy with me mr American. Fact remains that over the last 20 years that derby has deminished in importance for most Arsenal fans. It's always great to beat the jews but it's not what it used to be because Arsenal have separated themselves from Spurs. For Tottenham though that's a game that can save the season. The other way around not so much. Right now we'd rather beat United or Chelsea.

21. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yes, but that's only because of the title implications. If Arsenal were a midtable team, there's no way the match v Man Utd would be bigger.

22. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    My point exactly. League position doesn't matter. United v Arsenal won't be a run of the mill game for a very long time even if one or both teams suddenly became middle dwellers. Obviously it being a league decider adds to it, but even if it isn't that doesn't make it a run of the mill game. It'll take some time before that happens.

23. Duck Manson

Duck Manson Member+

Feb 8, 2005
    Club:
    Juventus FC
    I know that. But the game against United isn't a run of the mill game now though. We have 10+ years of history fighting for titles and that doesn't go away in a season or two even if Arsenal became mediocre.

24. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    If you think what I said somehow proves your point then.....well I'm not quite sure what to say.

One of the bigger games is not the same as being a big game.

You have a tv fan's perspective on all this, thinking about star players and the "glamour" of the fixture, rather than the importance of the result to the real fans.

25. RichardL

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Yes it would.