A Dirty Player??

Discussion in 'Premier League: News and Analysis' started by InterSoccr6, Sep 26, 2003.

1. InterSoccr6

InterSoccr6 New Member

Nov 12, 2001
    Ohio
    Has anyone noticed how dirty Alan Smith of Leeds Utd. plays? I watched the BHam game the other day, and i hadnt heard of the boy until then, but wow, throwing elbows, pulling shirts, kicking players on the ground, cursing his head off at anyone in his way, through all this, i kinda like the guy, hes actually very good. Looks like Lee Bowyers new Protege.

2. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Smith is a Leeds hero now. His debut was at Anfield in 1998 when he was 17. We were down 1-0 and he came on near the end. The ball dropped to him about 18 yards out and he just struck it without taking a touch. It goes in the far post. This was his first ever touch of any kind in the Premiership. For a couple seasons after that, everytime Smith would score, Leeds would win. This came to a stop away against Real Madrid, now famous (to Leeds supporters at least) for Raul's handball goal...

Smith has always played well in Europe scoring the winners away against Lazio and Anderlecht as well as 4 goals away against Hapoel Tel Aviv.

We don't really see him as a dirty player. He is a local boy and Leeds is his club. He plays 100% for the team and always wants to win.

Off the pitch he seems a different person entirely. He is really polite and softspoken. He doesn't go out a whole lot, and believe it or not, he doesn't drink at all either. He also spends a lot of his time volunteering for Charity.

We are very happy to have someone so dedicated playing for Leeds United.

3. sendorange

sendorange Member+

Jun 7, 2003
    Bigsoccer.com
    Club:
    Tottenham Hotspur FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Alan Smith is the most competitive striker I've seen, a great player. Because he's young he can go too far at times and make tackles he doesn't have a chance of winning, but he's no Roy Keane or Vinnie Jones.

4. You ever seen Kevin Muscat play/attempt to play?

5. giggs88

giggs88 Member

May 11, 2003
    Virginia
    yea, i saw that alan smith goal gainst pool. was great, but he is a dirty player, and gets away with a lot. unlike cambell.

6. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    You just heard of him? I'm assuming then you haven't followed the English game much. He's not a Bowyer protege, he's worse. I believe he's had something like 9 red cards in 5 seasons or some number like that. Just too many for a player if they want to play for the national team and play with the best clubs in the world. THis is likely one reason that other teams have shied away from him despite Leeds ongoing garage sale for players.

7. InterSoccr6

InterSoccr6 New Member

Nov 12, 2001
    Ohio
    I never said he was a bad player, hes quite good actually. But whats with the bleach blonde anyways?

Its so funny when he argues, you can read his lips, i've seen the likes of "F_ck Off!" and "F_ck You Arsehole", all kindsa mean stuff comes out of his mouth, even directed towards the ref, its hilarious!

8. InterSoccr6

InterSoccr6 New Member

Nov 12, 2001
    Ohio
    Re: Re: A Dirty Player??

Well yes, im not a follower of Leeds, i'm more of a Gunners fan, and i havent seen him play up until the other day, I follow italian football mostly.

9. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    Volunteering?
    :p

10. spectra

spectra New Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Re: Re: A Dirty Player??

You mean 'stampy'?

Neill (Blackburn) and Muscat are probably the dirtiest players in England. Steven Gerrard sometimes goes nutty too, along with Dennis 'Flying Elbows' Bergkamp.

11. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Gets away with it? He gets red carded for no reason..! A few have been deserved, but there are quite a few which are just comical.

And yes, he Volunteers for Charity.

And have any of you EVER seen Smith go into a 2 footed tackle, ala Steven Gerrard? thought not.

Also... everyone swears at the ref... (The dirtiest mouth i have heard at Leeds in the last few years is actually Robbie Keane!)

12. InterSoccr6

InterSoccr6 New Member

Nov 12, 2001
    Ohio
    lol, i have been guilty on more than one occasion, but i've received cards for it, i just think its hilarious because he has that baby face and to hear all them harsh words coming out of it, its great. I got sent off one time for calling the opposing teams coach a fat arse bag of lard, after the match, the referee told me that was the most creative insult hes ever heard, but said he had to send me off to make an example, i left but not before exchanging more words with the opposing coach.

13. Ferris

Ferris New Member

Mar 31, 2003
    The refs an idiot, that has to be one of the dumbest insults ever.
    Smith is good, but like another poster mentioned, the red cards have gotten in the way of his career (as well as his international career). From time to time he'll apologize and say it won't happen again, but lo and behold next big game he picks up two yellow cards or just makes a stupid tackle. Every team has a player like him: a lot of heart, and doesn't mind getting physical to try and win games. The fans of that club love him, but everyone else hates him (Man. Utd fans love Keane etc). He'll probably settle down at the club level, but it might be too late for him at the national team level.

14. 655321

655321 New Member

Jul 21, 2002
    The Mission, SF
    Smith is one of those players that gets super emotional during matches and occasionally loses his cool. Thus, the red cards. Much like ManU fans and Roy Keane, Leeds fans will defend his "passion" and "intensity" and the opposition will call him a "thug" and a "cheat". You can argue both and go on for hours. But he does have a tremendous amount of red cards for someone his age, and you know what they say about smoke and fire.

15. It'scalledfootball!

It'scalledfootball! New Member

Sep 25, 2003
    Lake Placid
    Alan Smith dirty?

Alan Smith is in no way a dirty player. He is tough, committed and looks like what he is, a Leeds boy trying his hardest for his one and only team. If you want to see dirty player run your eye over, keowen, Ashley Cole, Bergkamp and Shearer.

16. It'scalledfootball!

It'scalledfootball! New Member

Sep 25, 2003
    Lake Placid
    Re: Re: Re: A Dirty Player??

It's hilarious to see a Gunner having a go at Leeds for having dirty players. Alan Smith pays dearly for every minor infringement he becomes involved in. Arsenal have by far the biggest cheat in world football. How many times will Denis use his elbow? Or Ashley get a player sent off for a vicious foul which is later proved to have been BS because there was no contact. Maybe you should go to London and watch your beloved Arsenal cheat there way to another win then post your crap on here.