a DECENT fliesharer for music? Kazaa has gone to hell

Discussion in 'Technology' started by bostonsoccermdl, Nov 5, 2003.

1. bostonsoccermdl

bostonsoccermdl Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I have been using Kazaa for all downloads but now 90% of songs I download have an ear piercing high pitched static noise after 20 seconds inot the song, or come through looping the first 20 seconds, or have annoying beeps..

I assume this is to discourage all the people like us downloading them.

Anyone know of a decent system that is more reliable?

2. PSUdude

PSUdude New Member

Dec 15, 1998
    Elmhurst, Queens, NY
  3. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    if you don't mind paying the cash, Napster or ITunes.

If you pay the money and it's legit, you know they're most likely gonna be authentic songs.

Napster's PC only with Win2000 or XP.
    Of course, ITunes is Mac and PC.

Napster has a monthly fee or a "per-song" fee.
    ITunes ???

4. bostonsoccermdl

Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    I went ahead and did the winmx thing. I pay a $1.00/month it looks like. Is this legit? It seems too good to be true...

Although I get cut off from a lot of songs during downloading.. :(

5. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    iTunes is 99 cents/song or $9.99 for most albums, no monthly fee. Sharing is allowed on up to 3 computers (though you can get around it by burning to CD).

At the risk of sounding like a shill, iTunes, both as a jukebox app and as a music store, is simply amazing. The AAC file format is infinitely better than mp3 at the same bitrate and the download is superfast. Do yourself a favor and download iTunes today (unless you're running Windows PE).

Another nifty feature on iTunes is playlist sharing. If other people in your network have iTunes installed, you can access their playlist and vice versa. Pretty cool if your co-workers have good mp3 collections.

6. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So iTunes is a .aac file?

Does it convert automatically, or will a converter have to be found and downloaded?

Would previously downloaded files still work or would everything have to be re-downloaded.

7. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

I doubt it. Original Kazaa has an premium option, pay and get no ads. I heard how one person paid to an unlegit network and still got sued.

8. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    You mean the store or the jukebox?

The music from the store is in .aac format. You're not supposed to be able to convert it to any other format, but you can get around it by burning the .aac file to CD, then ripping it back on to the hard drive.

As for the jukebox, yes, you can still play your your previously downloaded/ripped music. You can also rip to .mp3, .aif, .wav or .aac.

9. sinner78

sinner78 BigSoccer Supporter

Nov 7, 2001
    record companies are flooding the kazaa network with corrupt files (likes the ones you describe).
    The corrupt files are generally new releases...
    older songs are still easy to get.

getting the new stuff is pretty tough though.

10. Foosinho

Foosinho New Member

Jan 11, 1999
    New Albany, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: a DECENT fliesharer for music? Kazaa has gone to hell

This is such a better way to undermine the system than with silly lawsuits.

11. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: a DECENT fliesharer for music? Kazaa has gone to hell

Look at the number of people that have that file. If it's 4 or 5, it's probably fake. If it's 45 or 55, it's probably real.

12. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: a DECENT fliesharer for music? Kazaa has gone to hell

So true. So entirely true. The best way to beat it is to use it.

13. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    Re: Re: Re: a DECENT fliesharer for music? Kazaa has gone to hell

no you;re wrong...
    highest bandwith users are targetted..
    The corrupt files always have loads of user sources.
    Probably because some idiots download them and then dont delete them from their folder.
    I always choose the download sources with the highest number of users and highest bandwith available....I never consider going for a source that only has 4 or 5 users.

try to download a track like White flag by dido (for example)..
    You'll get the corrupt files every time.

14. bostonsoccermdl

Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Re: Re: Re: Re: a DECENT fliesharer for music? Kazaa has gone to hell

As naive as I am with this stuff, I heard that if you move the files to a hidden folder (a non-sharing folder) that the regulators (or whatever they are called) cant find the file. Is it that easy, or is that a false rumor?

15. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: a DECENT fliesharer for music? Kazaa has gone to hell

People can only download stuff from your kazaa shared folder which is created when you install kazaa.
    any other folder and your computer cant be viewed by anyone unless you go into the options and specifically state that other folders can be used..

In fact you can choose not to share any files at all if you want .
    But you only get caught out when you upload stuff rather than let people download out of your folder.

16. bostonsoccermdl

Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: a DECENT fliesharer for music? Kazaa has gone to hell

Maybe I have my terms mixed up, but how can I upload something? I can either download a file, or allow my files to be viewed and shared. the latter is what you refer to "upload"ing, correct?

Also, I am using winmx now in response to the recomendation earlier in the thread, and why cant I get any songs (very common ones too) to show up when I do a search. I get NO results when I do a search..

17. kerpow

kerpow New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: a DECENT fliesharer for music? Kazaa has gone to hell

I totally agree. Kazaa is not only awful quality but full of annoying ad-ware and other services that slow your PC down.
    I switched to WinMX this week aswell and have found the software and movies I was looking for. What I also like about it is the fact that you can see what connection people are on. If you see a T3 connection you know they are heavy users and will have some good stuff. I browsed what must have been a univeristy server as they had over 300 gigs of shared files. Was pretty sweet.

18. bostonsoccermdl

Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: a DECENT fliesharer for music? Kazaa has gone to hell

yeah, but mine aint working. I used it a few days ago, and now it wont get ANY search results..

19. kerpow

kerpow New Member

Jun 11, 2002
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: a DECENT fliesharer for music? Kazaa has gone to hell

You have seen the buttons for search types haven't you. You can set it to search for audio, video or documents. Then you can also set a custom search or just any file type. Maybe you are searching for a song but it is looking for video types.

All being said, I think Kazaa is still better for music and WinMX better for movies but as move record and movie companies clamp down WinMX will become the largest community.

20. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: a DECENT fliesharer for music? Kazaa has gone to hell

sorry about that..
    I meant you get caught only when you download stuff from someone else..

as for winmx..
    the problems could something to do with a firewall..
    people seem to have problems with winmx..

another good filesharing program is overnet

21. sinner78

Nov 7, 2001
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: a DECENT fliesharer for music? Kazaa has gone to hell

no ad-ware with kazaa lite...

id give you the link to download kazaa-lite but the server is down at the moment.

22. bostonsoccermdl

Staff Member

Apr 3, 2002
    Denver, CO
    thanks for all the advice guys,,

23. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

http://betas.intercom.net/modules.p...=article&sid=3354&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0
    http://home.hccnet.nl/h.edskes/mirror.htm

Uninstall Kazaa.
    Run a program like ad-alert to get rid of junk files.

Go there and download the program.
    Run that IP Updater every once in a while as well.

24. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Ya kinda don't want to allow file sharing, as that's part of the criteria that gets people sued. The catch-22 is that if no one file-shares, then P2P won't exist.

If you allow your files to be shared, then it'll do that automatically when people look for songs.

25. Tmax

Tmax Member

Apr 10, 2000
    Vermont
    Two that I've been using lately.

The K++ version of Kazaa is really nice and fast. Check the TechTV website for good mirrors for d/l.

The other is Emule. Not quite as fast as Kazaa but quality stuff... not the usual 30% crap that you end up with on Kazaa. Its a bit tough to get up and going smoothly but once you do, its worth the time and effort.