A Dassler By Any Other Name - Kit Thread Mark XV

Discussion in 'Arsenal' started by Darth Norteño, Jan 2, 2014.

1. Darth Norteño

Darth Norteño With Buddha In My Fists

The Arsenal
    Wales
    Dec 9, 2003
    laceyforest.arl.va
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    Seeing as how the old thread originated about two or three cycles ago, and with the upcoming change to Puma, I thought a new kit thread was appropriate. To start, check out a new design posted by @ArsenalEdits on Twitter; I don't know if it's official, but have a look for yourself.

[​IMG]

2. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    We're changing to Puma? Did everybody know that? Am I just completely out of the loop?

3. BigEffingGooner

BigEffingGooner Member+

Apr 25, 2012
    Austin, Tx
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Apparently. I'm not excited by the prospect either. The additional cash flow is nice, the prospect of Puma kits less so ...

4. Jamooky

Jamooky Member+

Mar 24, 2006
    Cleveland, OH USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm all kitted out w/ Nike gear. I can't afford to make the switch, too. :p

5. Silva 5

Silva 5 Member+

Mar 10, 2006
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think it might have been a year ago now, but wasn't Adidas supposed to be a done deal at one point?

As for puma, who cares? As long as the sleeves are white it doesn't matter

Val1 repped this.
  6. AEAAFC96

AEAAFC96 Member+

Mar 27, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That's a copycat of the current kit. Why?

7. Darth Norteño

The Arsenal
    Wales
    Dec 9, 2003
    laceyforest.arl.va
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    Well, we did take a shitload of their money last season, when adidas pulled out and talks with Nike broke down. IIRC, we wanted too much money for either's liking, but Puma were willing. I have my doubts about Puma.

-Their products tend to be tighter and less generous to people of more ample carriage; they're not quite at Kappa-level hatred of fat guys, but close.

-Many; dare I say, most of their client clubs wear one of the same damn templates they release for teamwear; see Newcastle and Cardiff for immediate examples in the league. Nothing new, and adidas are arguably worse, but Puma's templates usually aren't particularly inspiring. Here's an incomplete list of Puma's client clubs; there are more in the Football League for sure, but they're not listed here.

-When they do release original designs, they release crap like this:
    [​IMG]

Still, we took the money, and if we don't spend, we damn sure don't refund. It's a shame, because Nike's output this season is gorgeous. Oh well, I'll stock up at the end of the season.

To recap from the previous thread, a recent rumor from Arsenal Brasil, who are usually spot-on with advanced kit knowledge, says that we'll have the same away kit, and a third kit similar to the "blue bottle" kit from 1982.

[​IMG]

8. Darth Norteño

The Arsenal
    Wales
    Dec 9, 2003
    laceyforest.arl.va
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    Not quite; the sleeve bands are thinner and both red. The double stripe on the neck is hideous; that's venturing into this territory:
    [​IMG]

9. leepyswetr

leepyswetr Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Chicago
  10. thebigman

thebigman Member+

May 25, 2006
    Birmingham
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    As a fat bast i wont be buying anything smaller than 4xl of it is puma

Jamooky repped this.
  11. Darth Norteño

The Arsenal
    Wales
    Dec 9, 2003
    laceyforest.arl.va
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Wales
    That looks like a typical Puma collar, in that it makes no fecking sense at all.

12. BigEffingGooner

BigEffingGooner Member+

Apr 25, 2012
    Austin, Tx
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    If that is legit (and I think that it is) my guess is that Giroud is wearing the training top.

13. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    #13 NorthBank, Jan 2, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
    I have zero recollection of that 3rd strip, but then again that was when I was in college and the only contact I had with Arsenal was the weekly scores/table in the Sunday NYT. But who the hell is that guy who looks like Scott Parker??

14. Senor Askew

Senor Askew Member

Jan 19, 2001
    San Francisco, CA.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Its a conspiracy the EPL cooked up to try to prevent beer-gutted fans (mostly of Newcastle and Sunderland) from taking their shirts off and displaying their moobs for all the world to see!

Not a fan of Puma. Their efforts are always uninspired and/or kooky, sometimes both at the same time.

I didn't care for a lot of the Nike efforts over the years, but their 2009-2010 throwback and the current home shirt are/were great. The current home kit might be my favorite ever after the 97-98 shirt. The red and white define Arsenal, but I also like seeing a smattering of blue.

15. NorthBank

NorthBank Member+

Arsenal; NYRB
    United States
    Mar 29, 2006
    Connecticut
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For Arsenal strip traditionalists like me, it's hard to imagine Puma is going to be an improvement. But we'll just have to wait & see. I'm just happy with my beautiful new Nike warmup jacket. ;)

16. Quentin

Quentin Member

Jul 12, 2008
    Hurricane, WV, USA
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've grown to love the current kit.

17. AEAAFC96

AEAAFC96 Member+

Mar 27, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Me neither. The last two home kits were awesome; the current one...is not.

18. IU Gooner

IU Gooner Member+

Feb 8, 2009
    Chicago
    I hate how Puma has to put their logo on the sleeves. It looks so congested with the badges.

19. wwnyc

wwnyc Member

Sep 5, 2004
    Puma has been quite poor the past couple years. Dortmund's kits are bad this season. Granted, a few are based off of standard templates but even when Puma do design one-off designs they leave much to be desired > just look at Italy's upcoming World Cup kits. Guess the only plus is I collect Arsenal kits and own every single one made by Nike so maybe Puma will finally be a reason to quit cold turkey....fingers crossed.

20. kanonier

kanonier Member+

Nov 7, 2005
    Bloomington, Ind.
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    I'll withhold judgment until we see the new kits. I think they could be quite nice.

21. IU Gooner

IU Gooner Member+

Feb 8, 2009
    Chicago
    cannon.PNG

Cannon on the inside of that one is cool. Would be cooler...on the front.

Darth Norteño repped this.
  22. And_ROOS

And_ROOS Member+

Dec 30, 2006
    Melbourne, Aus
    The thing Giroud is wearing is like a warm up jumper, ive seen people wearing similar puma ones before.

23. R9Kevinr9

R9Kevinr9 Member+

Feb 2, 2007
    ATX
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Nat'l Team:
    El Salvador
    I hope Puma realize that average football fan isn't as fit as Thierry, Giroud and Sagna. As a matter of fact most are out of shape due to the copious amount of beer we drink. Lol

24. Super Llama

Super Llama Member+

May 21, 2006
    Seattle
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    There's a rumor going round that Nike have stopped all their shirt production for Arsenal and that they are now permanently out of stock on certain sizes and kits--anyone having difficulty buying recently?

25. Shen-O

Shen-O Member+

United States
    Jul 26, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just bought my away long sleeve from prosoccer, M size. $100