a couple questions from a French soccer newbie

Discussion in 'France' started by soccerchick584, Oct 1, 2003.

1. soccerchick584

soccerchick584 New Member

Jul 28, 2003
    Tennessee
    I've never followed the French league for the simple fact that it wasn't available here in the US. I couldn't follow it, unless I wanted to support a highlights show on FSW. But now they are showing the French league and I have a couple questions from what I have seen.

First things first, what is it called? I'm sure "French League" isn't the name of it.

Who has won the most cups?

Which team has the most talent?

What are the club names?

Where do they play?

What do they call "soccer" in France?

Who's the best players?

The one game I saw... I think it was a club called Monaco (spellcheck) I can't remember who they were playing, but there weren't many people there at all. Is this how it is at all matches? Or was it just a bad day? Or do I have the wrong team? But I was impressed with the style of play in that game and I think I want to start following the French league. So if someone could help me out, it would be greatly appreciated.

2. Alphonse

Alphonse New Member

May 30, 2003
    La France
    a couple answers from a sexy French soccer expert

I will le answer a few

Le Ligue 1

Le Auxerre has le best education school

Mostly le names from the cities the clubs come from

In le stadiums

Le football

Monaco always have little attendance, they get le most of their money from other le places than le attendance. I suspect they have le ties with the maffia.

3. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    " Monaco always have little attendance, they get le most of their money from other le places than le attendance. I suspect they have le ties with the maffia'

You're kidding me, right? Anyway, "le foot" is an acceptable word for the sport of Association Football.

Auxerre has the best record for producing young talent. This is true. The team with the most cups is Marseille .

Saint-Etienne has the most league titles with 10.

Here's a site with most of the big stadia in France and photos of them:

http://www.eurostadiums.com/countries.php?co=france

4. Bill Schmidt

Bill Schmidt BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 3, 2003
    Washington, DC
    Club:
    Real Madrid
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Who are the best players?

I think World Soccer best explained the situation in the French league: "Will the last player leaving France please turn out the light?"

No player is the best player in France two years in a row these days. After a good year, they're off to England. There isn't as much money in France. The league is powered by African internationals from French-speaking countries.

The best players this season include:
    Didier Drogba (Marseille), Hossam Mido (Marseille), Ludovic Giuly (Monaco), Fernando Morientes (Monaco) Djibril Cisse (Auxerre), Jeremy Berthod (Lyon), Gregory Coupet (Lyon) Flavio Roma (Monaco), and Lionel Litizi.

Coupet looks to make himself one of the rare France-based starters on the France team as the number-one goalie.

5. SportBoy333

SportBoy333 Member+

Jun 27, 2003
    Pedro Pauleta is the best player in France and PSG is the team with the most talent though they mysetriously aren't near the top of the table.

6. skipshady

skipshady New Member

Apr 26, 2001
    Orchard St, NYC
    How are Mexes and Boumsong doing this year? I'm impressed by Boumsong in particular.

7. david dunn

david dunn New Member

Jun 20, 2003
    france
    are you kidding?

the with the best talents in the team are Lyon and monaco: dhorasso, juninho, carriére, elber, coupet...(lyon) are wonderfull players ,
    roma, giuly, rothen, nonda, prso, morientes...(monaco) are wonderfull players too,
    after these two teams which can keep their bests players, there is marseille with a lot of young players who have no proved their value yet: runje, van buyten, dos santos, meriem, vachousek, mido, drogba, hemdani, sychev...and of course there is the best fans, with a stadium of 60 000

after these 3 teams which must lead the ligue 1, there is Auxerre, a very good players, but they will leave the team: cisse, mexes, boumsong, lachuer, tainio, kapo...
    and we have few good teams behind, like PSG(pauleta), Sochaux(pedretti),lens, bordeaux, nantes

8. david dunn

david dunn New Member

Jun 20, 2003
    france
    What are the club names?
    marseille: Olympique de Marseille or OM
    paris: Paris saint-germain or PSG
    monaco: AS Monaco
    Lyon: Olympique lyonnais or OL but there is only one olympique: l'OM
    auxerre: AJ Auxerre or AJA
    Bordeaux: FC girondins de Bordeaux
    Lens: RC Lens
    Lille: LOSC
    Nice: OGC Nice
    Nantes: FCNA
    Sochaux; FCSM
    Metz: FC Metz
    Ajaccio: AC Ajaccio
    Bastia: SC Bastia
    Guingamp: en avant guingamp or EA guingamp
    Le Mans: Le Mans union club 72 or le MUC 72
    Montpellier: montpellier herault sport club
    Rennes: le stade rennais (FC)
    Strasbourg: RC Strasbourg
    Toulouse: TFC you can prononce it téfécé

Where do they play?
    OM->stade velodrome(60000)
    Lyon->Gerland(42000)
    PSG->parc des princes(48000)
    Monaco->Louis II(20000 but always empty)
    Lens->Félix-Bolaert(43200)
    Auxerre->abbé deschamp(23400)

9. aloisius

aloisius Member

Jul 5, 2003
    Croatia
    Come on Alphonse, don’t be rude to our American football loving friend. Especially a girl. They’re cool.

As for the trend of French players leaving the country, I think this might start changing from this year. French teams have had an excellent start in this years European competitions. That will bring clubs money, hopefully enough to keep at least the majority of the players longer in France.

10. Alphonse

Alphonse New Member

May 30, 2003
    La France
    Non, I am le not kidding you, I would not le kid about the maffia.

I do not trust le royalty over there.

11. Snuffy

Snuffy New Member

May 23, 2003
    Brooklyn, NY
    There may be something to that accusation. Wasn't their sponsor the last couple years, Fedecom, actually a money laundering racket by the Russian mafia?

12. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    Well, me and the PSG fan will agree on not listening to fans of Marseille when it comes to "dubious" characters as owners. Just kidding. Anyway, Coupet saved a pk in the Championsh League. He is one of the few who is staying in France and playing for the best team right now. Well, the last couple of years that is. And who knows? If Barthez comes back, maybe France will have another great goalkeeper in Ligue 1.

13. urtel

urtel Member

Jul 16, 2003
    PDX
    Club:
    Rochester Rhinos
    Nat'l Team:
    Finland
    Re: a couple answers from a sexy French soccer expert

Le Auxerre has le best education school

*Check: Nantes Atlantique has had one of the better football schools. That or Bordeaux. A lot of talent has risen through those ranks.

That was my addition to the tread.

14. magic38

magic38 New Member

Re: Re: a couple answers from a sexy French soccer expert

you're right for Nantes not for bordeaux and what about cannes (zidane, vieira, micoud, luccin... not bad, is it?)

15. DennisM

DennisM Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Nya Sverige
    Cannes was good. What about Montpelier of the early 90s too?