A Conflict with Iraq Could Increase International Terrorism

Discussion in 'Politics & Current Events' started by wu-tang beez, Oct 28, 2002.

1. wu-tang beez

wu-tang beez New Member

Apr 19, 2002
    Irving, TX
    An Oxford study group confirms fears that a war with Iraq would divert US resources and may increase terror.

link

2. MLSNHTOWN

MLSNHTOWN Member+

Oct 27, 1999
    Houston, TX
    Wow, this one was brilliant. Really. I think this goes without saying. It will feed the stupid BS rhetoric in most Arab countries regarding the West's invasion of the holy sites of Islam and how we just piss on their religion.

3. spejic

spejic Cautionary example

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    > Wow, this one was brilliant.

They have to do something to justify never having gotten real jobs.

4. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    Wait a second, how could any phenomenon happening in history be in any way connected to the totally aimless acts of madmen? They are blaming us ahead of time for future acts of terrorism against ourselves, aren't they?

5. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    The solution?

Take it all over. We'll have Iraq, and we've got Afghanistan. Well, what country is in the middle? Iran, so since we're there already might as well take it over. And heck, Syria isn't always the friendliest to us, so let's allow the Israelies to take over that country. That's the best way to solve terrorism in the Middle East.

6. Garcia

Garcia Member

Dec 14, 1999
    Castro Castro
    We have not solved all of our own problems and we are to solve the world's?

7. Ghost

Ghost Member+

Sep 5, 2001
    by this standard, we should have waited unti lour country was desegregated before confronting Hitler.

8. jamisont

jamisont Member

Jan 30, 2002
    Saddam Hussein's only regret after Gulf war was nothaving nuclear weapon.
    They wont hesitate to use it if they have it, after that, you will be here complaining lack of effort by government from preventing it.

9. photar74

photar74 New Member

Jun 25, 2002
    West Philly
    Until you have to publish two books in six years in order to keep the full-time job you finally sangged after working 60 hour weeks for eight years at 15K a year just to be qualified for the job, don't talk to me about academia not being "real."

10. empennage

empennage Member

Jan 4, 2001
    Phoenix, AZ
    Who ever said I was against us going in and taking over Iraq? I was only half-kidding in my post. It would solve some problems by taking over the middle-east. My only concern is when does military action stop being self-protection and start becoming world conquest?

11. Chicago1871

Chicago1871 Member

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "No s**t," comes to mind.

12. DoctorJones24

DoctorJones24 Member

Aug 26, 1999
    OH
    For us? Long ago. How many times has our military been mobilized since WW II? 30? 40?

Zero times out of self-protection, and this would be just another one added to the list. Disgusting.

13. weasel

weasel Member

Oct 31, 2000
    NYC
    For an imperial power we sure haven't been very successful, since we don't rule any of the following countries where the military has been engaged: Germany, Japan, Korea, Vietnam, Grenada, Haiti, Panama, Yugoslavia, Somalia, Iraq, Kuwait, Phillipines, Yemen...

Any others you'd care to list? Or are these all just US puppet states in your world?

What about Afghanistan? That wasn't in self-defense either?

To you, it seems, we just go around the world ramdomly bombing countries simply for the fun of it. That way we can facilitate globalization, right?

14. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    > Until you have to publish two books in six years
    > in order to keep the full-time job you finally
    > sangged after working 60 hour weeks for eight
    > years at 15K a year just to be qualified for the
    > job, don't talk to me about academia not
    > being "real."

This was not something from Oxford University. I originally thought it was something from a "think tank". Actually visiting the site, I see it is actually something far less. It is just a bunch of people that have real jobs that get together to talk about ways to rid the world of nukes.

And writing 2 books in 6 years isn't that great if you are a writer. I work in the computer industry, an a person making a living writing that many computer related books is far below the poverty line.

15. spejic

Mar 1, 1999
    San Rafael, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    > Or are these all just US puppet states in your world?

It is far more efficient to convince people to do what you want than to force them to do what you want.

16. Ian McCracken

Ian McCracken Member

May 28, 1999
    USA
    Club:
    SS Lazio Roma
    Nat'l Team:
    Italy
    Looks like you're living in Academia Fantasy Land.