A complaint about Season tickets

Discussion in 'Columbus Crew' started by ferrigamo, Mar 24, 2011.

1. ferrigamo

ferrigamo Member

Jan 5, 2002
    Springfield, Ohio
    A complaint about treatment of existing season ticket holders.

I noticed that as an existing season ticket holder, I am entitled to a t-shirt, but if I were a new season ticket holder, then I would get a sweatshirt. What is the logic in treating first time customers better than your existing customers? I am now less likely to renew as maybe I will get something more if I get a new account under a family members name or whatever.

Where is the benefit to having been a long time season ticket holder? We used to get a price break on tickets. It seems to me that the longer you have been a season ticket holder, then the more benefits you should get. I am not asking for a new car. I am not asking you to not make money. I am only asking you to show appreciation to your most loyal fans.

I know fans who do not renew right away and get a discount for signing at the last minute to help keep sales up. I do not play these games, and my reward for not wasting the time of your sales staff is that I get to pay more.

I used to have great seats and then the coach decided to put up rain shields permanently and thus ruining what I considered to be the greatest seats in the stadium. As a consolation, I was given club seats for one season at regular sideline seat pricing. It lasted for one season only and honestly I am not a big fan of the club seats. I suppose that I can live with that so long as I get dibbs on the seats that I was forced to give up if it is ever decided to not use rain shields but for games where it actually rains! I say forced as I prefer to watch the game and having 80% of my view blocked was more than a bit distracting. I didn't mind when it rained as the fair weather fans left plenty of room for me to find a seat where I could see the game without having to stand the entire time.

I have been a season ticket holder since the very beginning and I would like to always be a season ticket holder until the day that I die, but even I like to be treated nice from time to time. Even I like to know that people recognize that I support the team, even if I do not sit in the supporters section. As far as I am concerned, the whole stadium is the supporters section. The whole stadium is there to support the team, other than a few away supporters and none of them own any one section.

2. bribox

bribox Member

Mar 20, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Didn't you get a replica of Crew Stadium for renewing?

3. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If any season ticket holder hasn't gotten it, ask at the game. They should have a box of them and they have to check your name off a list. There's also the Perfect Attendance thing they run, and they honor those yearly who have kept a "clean sheet" as it were, *on the field*.

I don't mind that they give out a special premium for new STH, especially as we did get the stadium replica. But, if you are not happy, let MM know. He does reply to e-mails. Not sure what you can do about the rain shields. I think they are a requirement for the CONCACAF games, and they may just have decided to keep them up as a result--or MLS decided it was a good idea to avoid folks throwing stuff on the coaching staff of which ever team you might be displeased with at the time. I'm kinda glad we moved over and up a few years ago as the 9th row isn't too badly blocked by them. I know when PSU joined the Big 10 they had to put up the poles for the kicking net in Beaver Stadium, one of which was directly in my line of vision. It was a conference decision and not a team decision. We moved a few years later due to that and the 6'4" guy sitting right in front of my wife, who is not tall. Of course that first year, the net was useless as our kicker had a strong foot and kicked everything over the net anyway (this was before the kickoffs were moved back). I know my brother and I both got our hands on a ball that year, though in college you have to give them back.:(

4. THOMA GOL

THOMA GOL BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 16, 1999
    Frontier
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ahhh yes, love them suits

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yl67TNDW-0Q"]YouTube - Ally Bank "Ice Cream"[/ame]

5. Captain Splarg

Apr 25, 1999
    Pacific Grove, CA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Just for comparison...

San Jose gave out an Earthquakes scarf and MLS Cup 2001 patch (10 year anniversary for SJ) to every season ticket holder. If you renewed or paid for one before a certain date, you got one set for each seat, if you did after, you still got the same thing, but just one per account.

I now have a SJ scarf I'll never wear and a patch that i'll likely give (throw) away.

I believe you also get a discount on your own tickets if you get someone else to sign up for a new season ticket account.

6. General Disarray

General Disarray Legendary

Jul 7, 2005
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    yeah a couple years ago I was upset about being a season ticket holder because we got nothing, then we got the vouchers for various things and I was somewhat happy about that.....then this year we are back to square one I'd rather have the hoodie than the LS shirt, why not include us who renew year after year, in that promotion.....

7. Clutz

Clutz Member

Jul 13, 2005
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    The way the economy's going the things they do to get and retain customers are dumb.

It makes no sense to buy season tickets anyway when you can get them cheaper off blake or the union. money talks these day baby.

8. Crew Chuck35

Crew Chuck35 Member+

Apr 13, 2009
    Gahanna, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I completely agree with all that has been said.
    The FO has managed to screw up the head coaching position, the roster, the sponsorship deals, the season ticket holders, and the Nordeke at times. But hey at least the parking lot is paved.

9. machque

machque Member

Jun 5, 2008
    Delaware OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Uh huh but what about the roof:rolleyes:

10. Crew Cat

Crew Cat Member

May 28, 2008
    Reminds me of 'Major League:'

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1U15gU3caOU"]YouTube - Major League[/ame]

11. nb_cc2009

nb_cc2009 Member

Jul 23, 2009
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    looks like someone is ready for opening day.

12. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Does anybody know if they are still doing the perfect attendance this year?

13. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Good question. I assume so, but I know they are up to their @ss in alligators due to the back-to-back games in 6 days with 5K kids coming in for "Kicks for Kids" on Friday and the College Night promo. The perfect attendance e-mail usually goes out a few days after the game too and not right away. I've also asked about the fan photo contest and have not heard anything--but have not looked at facebook yet either. If we don't hear by Friday on either, I'll ask at the game.

14. patricksp

patricksp 91.9 Crew Fan Rating

Nov 4, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They are doing something for perect attendance and will send out an email about it. I got a reply today, but she had no details.

15. Brook

Brook BigSoccer Supporter

Sep 13, 2001
    Cleveland
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What I am really irritated about is no "hard" Media Guide" this year. The Crew seem to be moving in a "green" direction. Well, I can make them very green by not driving 230 miles round trip, not giving them any "green" by not buying concessions, and then they can still be "green" by not having to print my two Club Seat tickets next year. This issue, I suggested that they just swipe a Membership card. I have said that for five years now.
    Ridiculous.

1 person likes this.
  16. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was thinking this same thing recently.

You'd buy a card for whatever price. It would have your name and seat location on it. It would come preloaded with 18 (or 9, or 6, whatever) credits. If I wanted to take someone else to a game, I could either have two credits deducted at the gate in exchange for printouts(*) for the "best possible seat location" or I could do it online in advance of the game and possibly get better seats.

Now, if it was just me going to a game, I would be charged one credit and get to keep the seat listed on my card.

(*)Ticketmaster does something very similar with their "paperless ticketing" option.

Say a seat at the season ticket holder price is $25, but for game day is $30. If I wanted to buy additional credits for $25, I could.

As for Media Guides? I agree. If you can't buy them in the store, they're missing a great sales opportunity.

17. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Everybody is doing this now. Not sure why. And when I mean everybody I mean guys like the NCAA. From what I've heard it is now against NCAA rules to print a media guide--they all have to be on line. [I am not sure this included football, but it may well--and those sold.] All the media guides for Penn State, for example, are now on-line only and have been for a year. I suspect it makes them "look" green whether or not they really are.

18. Crew Chuck35

Crew Chuck35 Member+

Apr 13, 2009
    Gahanna, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    This.
    I dont like anymore than you men.

19. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I guess no one told the UNL folks this. I ordered my media guide with my football season tickets again this year.

20. Nostradumass

Nostradumass BigSoccer Supporter

Jun 5, 2007
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    People from Nebraska hate the Earth.

21. HardHatMike

HardHatMike DOOOOOOOOM!

Traktor Nebraska
    Aug 31, 2005
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    How can a school full of farmers hate the Earth? Exploit it, sure. But hate? Nah...

22. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Football might be the exception.

I looked it up--there's some NEW (2010-2011) recruiting restrictions involved with printed media guides that do not involve on-line or electronic ones. The Big Ten was pushing for total elimination of printed guides and do not print them for the conference any more. I guess they became a recruiting tool.... PSU is only printing wrestling, basketball, and football now, it looks like--and they don't even *have* a baseball guide, electronic or not, this season.

I'm kinda bummed out as I used to get the occasional photo printed in these and got photo credit too. It will save space on my bookshelf, though.

23. Clutz

Clutz Member

Jul 13, 2005
    Club:
    Olympique de Marseille
    Nat'l Team:
    France
    Of course, the Crew aren't doing it for the good of the planet. They're just trying to save themselves a whole bunch of green in printing costs. That and it makes it easier to correct the inevitable litany of typos that sully everything they put out.

Lot of scrimping and saving going on this year....

24. kgilbert78

kgilbert78 Member+

Borussia Mönchengladbach
    United States
    Dec 28, 2006
    Cowlumbus, OH
    Club:
    Borussia Mönchengladbach
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If it weren't for the fact that many teams and sports are starting to do this, you'd have more of a point. Green's an excuse, sure, but it's not like the Crew thought this up all on their own either.