A combined league for Britain?

Discussion in 'Scotland' started by Daniel A, Jul 12, 2005.

1. nach0king

nach0king Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Dallas Proper
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    And in non-league football, the teams would be playing in regional leagues anyway. All it would offer is a bit of upward mobility that most clubs would never, ever come close to achieving.

I do think Scotland needs a pyramid system to let non-league clubs into the SFL, but making us part of a GB pyramid system is probably not the right way to go about that.

2. RichardL

RichardL BigSoccer Supporter

May 2, 2001
    Berkshire
    Club:
    Reading FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    they would effectively have to be scottish divisions anyway as even travel to the north of England once every two weeks would be a killer for a part-time club like Alloa. It'd be in the region of a 6 hour bus trip to get down as far as Lancashire I'd imagine. You can't really do that with part-time players who have other jobs, especially midweek.

3. P1brit

P1brit Member

Mar 31, 2005
    Novi, MI
    Club:
    Swindon Town FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    I really don't understand why people want one league. Its unfortunate that Football is strugling in Wales and N. Ireland but the SPL is fine. Celtic fans could care less about goin to Wembly and fans from London don't want to go to Glasgow, the only thing driving this is money, and there is no guarentee that the old firm clubs would even be successful in the Premiership. Surely Scottish fans don't want to go to away games in England ALL BUT TWO games a year.

4. nach0king

nach0king Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Dallas Proper
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    While I agree that a GB league is a ridiculous pipe dream, I must ask: how is the SPL fine?

5. nach0king

nach0king Member

Jul 6, 2004
    Dallas Proper
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Scotland
    That's precisely what I was getting at. Clubs like Alloa, Stenhousemuir, up to anyone who gets gates of under, say, 1,500 a week (Hamilton and Clyde would be the cut-off point, I guess) would probably find their level in the Scottish Regional leagues. Anyone else would simply struggle to play in something like the Conference North.

6. TimBhoy

TimBhoy New Member

Jul 26, 2003
    Glasgow, Scotland
    The game has been moving for years to a bigger slice of the pie for the bigger clubs...look at the champions league..big team's league more like.

Glazer taking over MU for me is just another indicator that we will end up with the bigger (League's) teams in Europe, particularly the big 5 TV revenue countries trying to play each other as much as possible. In the end for me it will end up in a European super league, not sure if it's 5,10 or 15 years away but I'm sure it will happen.....the big money demands it, and like most walks of life big money get what it requires.

In the meantime until that happens should the OF be brought into the English league (EPL, championship)? Not for me, Scottish football is poor in quality at the moment and has been for years, we're too small to attracted real quality players and the set up ( Mainly due to the OF) does not allow us to "grow our own" However we are Scottish and we need to get our game sorted and start educating our young players, at the moment talk of the old firm getting into the EPL is a detraction from raising the goodwill among Scottish football to sort the game.

So for me, no to a combined British league.

7. !Bob

!Bob Member

Apr 28, 2005
    UK
    Hell no! It is unthinkable to have the teams entered into 2 parallel leagues due to fatigue, and simply having one league with all the teams from England, Scotland... is just a bad idea!