A chance to pass on PHP/FCD concerns to John Wagner

Discussion in 'FC Dallas' started by Rocket, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hi, guys.

I have the chance to talk to Hunt Sports Group President, John Wagner, tomorrow on the phone, and wanted to know if there're any key topics you wanted me to mention to him.

My top 3:

1) It would be great to have a senior FCD staff member who we could contact to discuss various fan issues.

John Alper used to fill that role, but now that he's gone, it's not clear who at FCD has an interest in our input.

2) Pizza Hut Park is a terrific venue, all-in-all, but there still some things that would be great to fix:

a) those ugly concrete walls, can they be painted? (perhaps the FCD beige) Or at least covered up with banners and/or flags?

b) Concession lines: still too long, and no monitors.

c) ???

3) Traffic. From what I've seen, too many fans get stuck in traffic coming to PHP. How about letting fans know of alternate routes (Legacy, El Dorado, etc).

Also, has FCD tried working with Frisco to open up some of the bottlenecks a bit? e.g: eventually have Main St in downtown 4 lanes on game days; allow 2 lanes of traffic to exit off the Tollway onto Main St; etc

Have I missed anything important you all would like me to mention to Wagner?

Rod

2. burning247

burning247 Member+

Liverpool FC
    England
    Sep 16, 2000
    Dallas
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England

the problem with that is then those routes will be backed up. If you can't plan out an alternate route/take the time to map it out than they deserve to sit in traffic.

3. theodore

theodore Member

Nov 7, 2003
    Add a game prior to the main event. After watching several local teams tear it up in the Dallas Cup, I think that selecting a top notch D-1 game as a warm up would serve as a reason to get to the stadium a little earlier and provide a better soccer experience. Ideally, I'd like to watch the reserves play, but since they may be called up for play in the main event, that becomes a little unpractical.

In addition, you would get a couple more seats sold as even Grandma and Grandpa would be sure to make junior's day in the big stadium.

4. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent idea.

This might conflict, though, with what they do now -- buy a bunch of tickets and your rec league team can play a short match on the PHP pitch before game-time.

5. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree.

A lot of teams -- e.g. the Texas Rangers -- let fans know of alternate routes so they wait less in traffic.

A happy fan is one who may return for another game.

While a fan who misses the first 30 minutes of a game being stuck in traffic, is a frustrated fan and one who's less likely to return to PHP.

6. Pregame Pint

Pregame Pint New Member

Mar 30, 2006
    Section 108

Am I the only one who thinks $15 to park is outrageous?

7. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I agree it's rather expensive to park near the stadium.

But there is cheaper parking if you're willing make a 5-minute walk.

8. Brushes Sand

Brushes Sand Member

Oct 12, 2000
    polychronicqatsitime
    Rather than ask for someone to be assigned, who would then
    have to run issues up the flagpole(s) for political filtering prior
    to decision rendering and another round of political filtering
    before dissemination to the masses, I would ask for 30 minutes
    of time with Hitch every month. Make it a set time. Prepare
    questions in advance. Have maximum respect for his time,
    and commit to adding value with each meeting. Wagner
    knows some of us already. Remind him of the close relationship
    many of us enjoyed with Hicks, Swift, and Jalper.

But before you ask Wagner for time with Hitch, I think it
    would make sense that you called Hitch first thing in the
    morning and extend the invitation to him first, and then
    also tell him you are going to ask Wagner for his time as well.
    (i.e. you are going to ask Wagner for Hitch' time)

30 minutes a month to meet with Hitch will produce far more
    results far faster than having someone to call 24x7.....

1. Time
    2. Respect for Time
    3. Most efficient way to add value

-bs

9. justscore

justscore Member

May 31, 2004
    Southlake
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    In the great words of TA " it costs more to park my car than to park my a$$!" :D

10. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I like your idea, Wade. But would Hitchcock be interested in the 30-minute/month type of thing?

It would be great if a few of us could sit down with him occasionally, but I don't think it would be too worthwhile if he just jots down our concerns and then ignores them.

BTW, how does one get a hold of Hitchcock anyhow? I've sent him a couple emails since he came aboard last November and have never heard back from him -- not even a form letter "Thanks for you interest..." reply. Nothing.

11. Brushes Sand

Brushes Sand Member

Oct 12, 2000
    polychronicqatsitime
    All you can do is extend him the courtesy again by calling him again
    to ask for his time (Hitch that is) letting him (Hitch) know that you are
    going to be talking to Wagner and that you will be discussing with
    Wagner the importance of 30 minutes a month with Hitch, or a
    lunch-n-learn, or a "town meeting", whatever, and when you talk
    to Wagner, tell him the truth, that you've contacted Hitch multiple
    times and not heard back. The truth is what is.

Remind Wagner that the club used to hold regular townhall meetings.

Regularly.

-bs

12. Kevin Lindstrom

Oct 28, 2003
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Parking costs. This is something that I haven't gotten incredibly invovled in for various reasons, but just for a minute, can I bring up a couple of points?

The people paying $25 or $21 are the $15 in the Blue lot. The comperable parking level is the Green lot, which is $10 (or eight if you use the season ticket holder price).

And if you compare our pricing to other MLS venues - as TA did on TIDN for the supporters - you will see that our ticket prices are some of the best in the league.

Is it more expensive than the Cotton Bowl? Yes. Is it a better experience than the Cotton Bowl? Yes.

In terms of a professional sporting experience, we're somewhere in the middle between what we were at the Cotton Bowl and what you have with the other Majors - AAC, Rangers, Cowboys. And if you look at the comperable parking and ticket costs, that is where our numbers are as well.

13. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'll try contacting Hitchcock tomorrow morning, Wade, to see if we can agree to something without getting Wagner too involved.

As to the "town meetings", I think having one or two a year would be nice, but from what I've seen, there're too inefficient time-wise to want to do more frequently than that.

One thing that would be worthwhile -- and I'm not sure if the club already does it -- would be for FCD to mail out to a sample of FCD fans a survey form to get input, good & bad, about their experience at PHP.

BTW, Wade.

Will you have a chance to email me back sometime re the rivalry-to-be?

14. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

terrible idea and not remotely needed...who wants to watch some locals tear up the pitch...???

15. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

there's cheaper parking (free) if you are willing to make a 90 second walk....

16. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas
    And not to flog a very dead horse....but....ask him why, in the name of God,... other than the apparent fact that his kids went to school there.. did they ever move to that fcuking abomination called Dragon Stadium ??...had he asked ANYONE with even a modicum of knowledge about soccer in this area...they would have told him of the absolute stupidity of that idiotic move...

17. oman

oman Member

Jan 7, 2000
    South of Frisconsin
    Give me the emotion of a blood feud select under 18 match over a run of the mill MLS game anyday.

And I love run of the mill MLS.

18. england66

england66 Member+

Jan 6, 2004
    dallas, texas

good for you....just keep it away from PHP ....

19. Scipio Gothicus

Aug 6, 2001
    Cabo San Lucas
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I disagree. I thought the parking expereince was better at the Cotton Bowl.

Ask Wagner if he can sing the chorus to "Why Can't I Be You" by The Cure.

Good Friday started five minutes ago. Lent is over. I have fulfilled my Vow, and can drink again. Ignore what I said about how we should all stop drinking. Buffy time!

Dead but dreaming,
    Scipio Diabolus,
    vox fatum.

Contra.

Grounded. McCarthy was right.

20. FC Uptown

FC Uptown New Member

Feb 3, 2006
    H-town
    We need more fans.
    I brought 3 guys to the Fire game and they all emailed me that they want to go back.
    We just need to get folks to PHP.
    Marketing, "bring a friend" ticket specials, drink specials, additional supporters groups, pre-game events, more effective relations with Dallas sports media - the word needs to get out.
    We all know people who made fun of this game and then came to PHP and got hooked.
    We all also know folks who have never been to PHP and do not yet understand how fun it is.
    Let's come up with ways to get these casual fans out to PHP.

21. PaulGascoigne

PaulGascoigne Member+

Feb 5, 2001
    Aotearoa/NZ
    Just hearing of the Barca-NYRB matchup that was just officially announced, it brings me back to my constant concern: we need high quality friendlies for FCD. Columbus gets them. DC Gets them. LA gets them. Chicago gets them. Other people get them.

Can someone honestly say we have had more than 2 or 3 high quality home friendlies (all vs. Mexican sides) in our franchise history? I can think of 2 vs. Chivas, one in 1997 and one a few years ago. Maybe there was one I forgot somewhere.

I hate to totally discount the upcoming Tigres game (although for reasons that should be 100% obvious I am totally discounting the Atlas match), because it's an ok start (if they bring their starters). But by all means, let's get a sexy team into PHP, TO PLAY FCD...it's become all the rage for Euro teams to come over here and tour over the summer--can't we get involved somehow? It's going to be really embarrassing if Houston gets their act together on this stuff before we do.

Thanks. Keep up the good work. And good job of doing whatever you did to keep Ronnie in the fold (sorry, haven't heard all the details yet).

22. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Excellent stuff, arwIII.

You know what would REALLY be cool?

Make it easy (and cheap) for FCD fans to invite some friends from work/school by letting each FCD season ticket hold buy 1 booklet of 10 endzone flexipass vouchers for $50 or $60.

That way, someone could put together their own "guys night out" by using 4 flexipass vouchers ($5 apiece; total cost: $20) to invite some friends from work.

Or they could give 4 flexipass vouchers to their teenagers and let them go to an FCD game for the same cost it would cost them to go to the movies.

23. chapulincolorado

Jul 14, 1999
    McAllen, Texas
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    Mexico
    How about making it a community event by having children/youth (at-risk youth??) paint the walls? I know for example here in the Valley, we had programs where a professional painter/artist would take at-risk youth and have 'em paint murals in businesses. Why PHP?

24. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Not sure I'd want that on the concrete wall on the East Side of the stadium (the wall the TV cameras routinely show).

But that would certainly be a very cool idea for the stage area and/or the west and south walls.

25. FC Uptown

FC Uptown New Member

Feb 3, 2006
    H-town
    No way.
    Dont f up a nice park with crappy kiddie paintings on the walls - so when we get a beer we have to look at a bunch of shots of rainbows and space shuttles.
    Don't paint it at all - sell the space for sponsors and $$$.
    Who cares...

BTW, why does everyone care so much about painting concrete?
    Imagine we get 30 minutes with FCD management and the first thing we start talking about are murals on the walls...????
    Let's try not to look like a bunch effing idiots.