A Carolina team?

Discussion in 'US Women's Lower Divisions' started by CHHSfan, Nov 27, 2010.

1. CHHSfan

CHHSfan Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Chapel Hill
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Considering the fact that the Lady Tar Heels and Wolfpack draw above the average W-league team or WPSL, the Courage drew well in Chapel Hill and Cary, and many women's soccer alumni live or have roots around here, I think a W-league team would be successful here.

2. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be a fun addition to a fun area, for sure. Charlotte's W-League team has always seemed to be solid in the FO, but that's a specialty organization; they are a missionary organization. So, I'm not sure if the waters are different in Charlotte.

I was closer to the Upstate SC cities. Not any history there, pretty sure. Not sure about the CU Tigers. Their men's side seems to draw, but what about the women?

3. Hawkeye-1

Hawkeye-1 Member

Apr 15, 2002
    Austin
    A women's team in North Carolina in say Raleigh, Charlotte or Chapel Hill Area is a total DUH!!! moment.

Some of the best women's soccer comes from NC, it'd be stupid NOT to put a team or two there.

4. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone here remember the Raleigh Wings? They did well record wise but I don't remember them drawing a ton of people. But my memory gets a bit hazy after all this time.

As with a WPS team, pretty much the only thing really necessary for there to be a WLeague team in the RDU area is an owner willing to pay the franchise fee + costs of team operations. I'm guessing the best bet would be if the Carolina Railhawks wanted to add a WLeague team. But I highly doubt that's going to happen any time soon -- especially given the D-2 jumble right now.

5. Nacional Tijuana

Nacional Tijuana St. Louis City

St. Louis City SC
    May 6, 2003
    San Diego, Calif.
    Club:
    Seattle Sounders
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    OK, I may be missing something, but there's a team called the Cary Clarets, which I thought were spun off of the Railhawks somehow. They have a PDL team, and a W-League team. Not sure if they still exist, but there's that.

6. kool-aide

kool-aide Member+

Feb 1, 2002
    a van by the river
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    They don't exist anymore. I *think* the PDL team b/cm part of the Railhawks and then ceased to exist under the Clarets name. The WLeague team died.

7. CHHSfan

CHHSfan Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Chapel Hill
    Club:
    Carolina Railhawks
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    If the Courage name was brought back, I think it could be in the top tier of W-League atendance.