"A blind squirrel could manage a World Cup game and get 50,000." - Nick

Discussion in 'New York Red Bulls' started by Section113, Aug 1, 2002.

1. Section113

Section113 New Member

Feb 26, 1999
    Boonton
    From today's Ledger:
    http://www.nj.com/business/ledger/index.ssf?/base/business-2/1028193016107341.xml

Can soccer save the Sports Authority?
    Sports Authority Chief Executive George Zoffinger is scrambling to close a $6 million budget gap for next year, when Gov. James E. McGreevey plans to eliminate the state's cash subsidy to the agency.

Zoffinger already has laid off 22 percent of his staff. Now he's on the hunt for new revenue, and the man who helped bring the World Cup to New Jersey in 1994 wants to host five major international soccer matches. He said the matches, beginning with an Aug. 8 game between Roma and Real Madrid, could produce as much as $1.5 million annually.

"People around the world know Giants Stadium," Zoffinger said last week. "I think we can get 50,000 people for some of these games.

That remains to be seen. International doubleheaders the MetroStars have hosted rarely attract more than 30,000 people.

Nick Sakiewicz, the team's general manager, said the proliferation of competitive soccer on television has hurt the market for international exhibition matches.

The MetroStars have sued the Sports Authority to assert control over international soccer at Giants Stadium because the games help the MetroStars attract fans to its games, but Sakiewicz said the team never plans on getting a crowd of 50,000.

"I think George is being little unrealistic," Sakiewicz said. "George remembers his involvement with the 1994 World Cup, which is the biggest sporting event in the world. A blind squirrel could manage a World Cup game and get 50,000."

2. Dan R

Dan R New Member

Jun 1, 1997
    Metro
  3. Soccerski

Soccerski Member

Dec 2, 2000
    Georgetown, CT
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Is that a blind squirrel?

4. Section113

Section113 New Member

Feb 26, 1999
    Boonton
    [​IMG]

No. This is.

"Buy tickets or i'll shoot!"

5. Bigfoot

Bigfoot New Member

Things have got to be pretty desperate for the Sports Authority if they're trying to break a contract with the Metro in order to get their budget balanced.

A rat would be a more appropriate symbol than a squirrel.

6. Speedball

Speedball Member

Feb 27, 1999
    Harrison Stadium
    Anyone else notice that the PA announcer never announced dates for upcoming Metros games but the Roma v. Real Madrid promo was on the big screen every ten minutes or so?

7. Michael K.

Michael K. Member

Mar 3, 1999
    There or Thereabouts
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Of course, they will have no detrimental effect on Metros attendence.

8. MetroDug

MetroDug Member

May 4, 1999
    New York, NY USA
    i think they'll get a good crowd for this game, and if it was played on a saturday, they'd get 50k easy.

9. F Zoffinger. F the NJSEA. I hope they get nada.