A big name TFC in near future? What's your thought guys???

Discussion in 'Toronto FC' started by vanquish910, May 14, 2007.

1. vanquish910

vanquish910 New Member

May 13, 2007
    With all the money being made this year by Toronto FC, do you think they will go for a big name in the near future or say next season?

In my opinion, why not?? But hopefully they'll get someone they need to make the team stronger rather than just for jersey and ticket sales.

2. 'Chopper'

'Chopper' New Member

Oct 26, 2006
    Norwich, Norfolk, UK
    They don't come much bigger than Celtic's Jan Vennegoor of Hesselink!:eek: It takes a broad pair of shoulders to carry 'Vennegoor of Hesselink' on your shirt!;) http://www.celticfc.net/home/players/playerInfo/jVennegoor.aspx

3. 'Chopper'

'Chopper' New Member

Oct 26, 2006
    Norwich, Norfolk, UK
  4. vanquish910

vanquish910 New Member

May 13, 2007
    Nice pick, but don't you think a solid central defender who control the D or a solid playmaking midfielder would be better????

5. Scotland the brave

Scotland the brave New Member

Apr 18, 2007
    Toronto (WOOHOO)

Marting Albrechtsen would be great for toronto he would certainly shore up the defence.

Dont think he would be too adversed to coming over the pond!!

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?...Baggi es+exit

6. 'Chopper'

'Chopper' New Member

Oct 26, 2006
    Norwich, Norfolk, UK
    A good shout my Weegie* friend!

But he's just turned 27 and might be looking for a last big pay-day somewhere in Europe, and WBA would want some fee for him too so time to smote this rumour down methinks?!;)

* for the uninitiated, that's how us East Coast 'posh' folk refer to soap-dodging Glaswegians.

7. Scotland the brave

Apr 18, 2007
    Toronto (WOOHOO)
    Lets not get started on the petty name calling, he is a good player and if he is wanting to leave then he should be on a free!!!

8. vanquish910

vanquish910 New Member

May 13, 2007
    Yeah I think he might check out the market in Europe first, but then again most player would do that before they cross the pond.

But at least you do agree that we need someone more experienced and commanding in Defence.

9. Punjabi FC

Punjabi FC New Member

May 15, 2007
    Toronto
    Why not Fowler? I can totally see him finishing his career out in MLS. He might not be the guy he was 13 years ago but he can still do some damage out here. Bring over Fowler I say , Id love to see him snort the lines after scoring a penalty at BMO , why not!

10. iceman309

iceman309 Red Card

Apr 21, 2006
    jj ocochka
    stephen appiah
    el-haji diouff
    kiko
    romario

any of these guys, wouldn't it be great if romario scored his 1000 career goal in toronto?

11. robycapone

robycapone New Member

May 11, 2005
    Well with Hasselink his name was better asa Van de Hasselink.... and out of those 5...the only one that would make sense would be JJ Okocha....nearing the end of his career.....Appiah is going back to Juve, Diouff is too young and too expensive, Kiko and Romario..well...who knows if they'd wanna play up in canada..

but either would be good...but i'd prefer a central defender...Brennan is competent back there but thats not his position....

12. TFCBlue

TFCBlue Member

Feb 7, 2007
    KW, Sec 223
    Club:
    Manchester City FC
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Fowler, Sinclair, Hasselbank, Richard Wright, have been released. DeMarcus Beasley was sent back to Holland. I expect Dwight Yorke to be released from Sunderland.

Would be great to see any one of them here, but even if they were realistic options (and most of these aren't), I'd still prefer to see us invest in a strong central midfielder (Reyna type) to plug the gaping hole, and partner Edu to help him learn his trade.

13. iceman309

iceman309 Red Card

Apr 21, 2006
    how about former canadian international Rcihard Bambury?

or Brian McBride?

Gabriel Batistutta?

Ortega?

Alan Shearer?

14. robycapone

robycapone New Member

May 11, 2005
    Alex Bumbury - batigol - Shearer...ALL RETIRED...

Ortega is done soon hes in Argentina...and McBride is at Everton....wouldnt want him anyways.

15. iceman309

iceman309 Red Card

Apr 21, 2006
    rivaldo is getting released at olympiakos, how bout him?

16. vanquish910

vanquish910 New Member

May 13, 2007
    I so hope so. I am not his biggest fan but in his days he was defnitely one of the best in his attacking midfield position.

It would be great. But would he join us??? Can we afford him???

17. vanquish910

vanquish910 New Member

May 13, 2007
    As much as I like Romario and watching here at 40 (when came to play against the Lynx), he doesn't have the legs anymore.

Besides there is always controversy about his actual goal count. But hey it would be nice to see Romario here. However, I still feel we have strikers for MLS standard what we need is a either a playmaker with killer instinct and a defender who can control the defencive line firmly.

18. iceman309

iceman309 Red Card

Apr 21, 2006
    we can afford him, mlse has deep pockets, the question is can mo get rivaldo passed the border? rivaldo could easily help promote the team and be a great asset.

19. vanquish910

vanquish910 New Member

May 13, 2007
    Well put. That's I am saying as well, we need a general in the middle, someone who makes those killer plays which slices the defence. And of course (i know I sound like a broken record now) a central defender. MOOOOOOOO can you hear us?????

Kudos to MO still, i think he is doing a good job so far.

20. vanquish910

vanquish910 New Member

May 13, 2007
    You know what its true, Mo's biggest problem happens to be stupid Canadian Immigration, it seems they keep causing problem for TFC players. I never hear them being a dick to baseball, basketball or NHL players.

Rivaldo will definitely promote the team. It always helps to have WC winner in the team. Besides, being an avid fan of Brazil since my childhood I won't complain.

ICEMAN, you are the man.

21. Punjabi FC

Punjabi FC New Member

May 15, 2007
    Toronto
    Now Im not too sure how loans would work between Euro leagues and MLS just because their seasons start and end at different times but why not try to get some talent on loan from clubs over seas who arent getting the first team time. Instead of going out there and throwing a billion dollars in some dudes face try to get some raw talent on a loan first. It might be a crazy idea but who knows right? If not then yeah lets toss out some cash in bring in Owen! Although Big Sam said he wants to keep him at Newcastle why not try to persuade em to come to North America and dominate rather than being a number one striker with some mid-lower table team or coming off the bench 4 times in a season with a big club.

22. Scotland the brave

Apr 18, 2007
    Toronto (WOOHOO)
  23. .:Rabid

.:Rabid New Member

Apr 26, 2007
    Radzinski.

24. jpg75

jpg75 Member

Jun 11, 2005
    Toronto, Canada
    Club:
    Toronto FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Canada
  25. Taoism

Taoism Member

Apr 13, 2007
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada

There's a reason that Newcastle's defense has sucked the last few years, and amazingly the first players Big Sam cuts from the team after joining are defenders... I'm not sure we would want to bring that to TFC ;)

Cheers!