A balompie ride to the top - João Lucas de Souza Cardoso (Johnny) at Real Betis

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Sep 26, 2018.

1. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    Fair enough. I was thinking Tillman is somewhat similar in that he hasn't done much for the USMNT, but I watched a bunch of PSV games this season and know that he can play at a high level...it's just not translating to the international level yet for whatever reason.

theboogeyman, Zinkoff and Kagler24 repped this.
  2. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    His level is the Eredivisie.

3. Kagler24

Kagler24 Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Great comparison. Its on Berhalter to figure out how to integrate them. Both players have massive potential. I probably watched more of Cardoso and Tillman than any YA not named Pulisic this year.

Zinkoff and TimB4Last repped this.
  4. Kagler24

Kagler24 Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I think Tillman has the potential to head back to Bayern one day for a lot of money. He's got Gio level ability on the ball, but is way more athletic and made tremendous strides defensively this season. He could be a real box to box MF like we've never had in the US. He does have some mental concerns, gets discouraged easily and can appear disinterested at times. Curious to hear why you think PSV is his ceiling. Maybe I'm biased. Sorry for the thread jack btw.

McKenniesWeah, Zinkoff, nbarbour and 2 others repped this.
  5. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I've been following him the past two seasons and he just hasn't impressed me. I'm sure that he will improve but by how much I don't know. We are developing good midfielders and I just don't see him playing for the USMNT in the future.

kruck repped this.
  6. Kagler24

Kagler24 Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Los Angeles
    That's something I worry about as well. Our midfield is so crowded and the guys ahead of both Cardoso and Tillman are not only equally talented, but have mastered Berhalters system for years now.

7. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    I'll take this action.

8. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    It was Adams, Johnny, McKennie for the last 15 minutes against Brazil. I think that is an interesting midfield option.

That is us at our most pragmatic, similar to the success with Beckerman, Bradley, Jones in 2014. Honestly I think it shows a lot of promise, especially when Dest gets back. You can bring in Reyna or Musah to change things. I really think there’s some potential there for the highest level matches.

twoolley, Kagler24 and TimB4Last repped this.
  9. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    Malik Tillman is a player who is not close to his potential. He could go sideways but his ceiling is very intriguing.

Zinkoff, glutton4Bolts, nbarbour and 3 others repped this.
  10. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Hey yall - reminder this is a Johnny club thread.

McKenniesWeah, Zinkoff, twoolley and 2 others repped this.
  11. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    I think you strike while the iron is hot if you have the chance to meaningful grow the stature of the club you are a part of. There is no guarantee his stock will be high enough to garner that type of club attention. From there you bet on yourself to prove your worth.

Pl@ymaker, eliwood, dark knight and 2 others repped this.
  12. theboogeyman

theboogeyman Member+

Jun 21, 2010
    Yeah he stands to get a good raise, too. You don’t want to pass up on that. Having said that, I would prioritize going to a club that offers more PT as well. If Betis is paying him 1.5, Roma offers 3.5 to start immediately, and PSG wants to pay him 5 to ride the bench, I’d take the Roma offer.

twoolley and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  13. Pegasus

Pegasus Member+

Apr 20, 1999
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm interested in opinions on Johnny vs Tessmann. Both are big, strong and more on the defensive side and really good passers but with differing styles.

14. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    Funny comment to respond to with this lol

15. bct81

bct81 Member+

multiple (DC United, Dortmund, Arsenal, Leeds....)
    United States
    Mar 17, 2007
    moving around the US every few years ....
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  16. Kagler24

Kagler24 Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Zinkoff repped this.
  17. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    They've done well the last 4 years especially.

18. Kagler24

Kagler24 Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Los Angeles
    If he doubles his salary with a move to Roma I get it, but he doesn't strike me as a money first type of guy. And just the idea that he moved in January to a traditionally top 10 La Liga team, and is already close to moving to a bigger side for triple the transfer fee is CRAZY. I can't think of a single instance of this happening off the top of my head.

19. zlatan_but_a_car

Botswana Meat Commission FC
    United States
    Oct 16, 2017
    All of these rumors have struck me as very "silly season". Dude is under contract until 2029, and while he had a good first half season in La Liga, he'd be a VERY expensive purchase...

Kagler24 and McKenniesWeah repped this.
  20. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    Maybe. Their most expensive transfers out are like 22 - 32M with only 1 above 26M, so it depends on what you mean by very expensive. Sorta seems like Real Betis needs to make some money in the transfer market and being able to make a big return would be advantageous for them.

That does not make your read on this being "silly season" inaccurate. You're likely right. It depends a bit on if teams think he would actually get more expensive after another season of quality performance and/or if Real Betis thinks it's just as likely he does not sustain that level and becomes cheaper. A lot of "ifs" there.

zlatan_but_a_car repped this.
  21. Dervos

Dervos Member+

Mar 13, 2002
    Club:
    Austin Aztex
    Am I the only one who looked at a map to confirm Betis to Roma would be an upward move?

Probably.

The Irish Rover and tomásbernal repped this.
  22. Kagler24

Kagler24 Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Los Angeles
    I doubt a high level CL team is going to make a 30 million dollar decision based off 6 months of play in La Liga. I think its more likely he goes back to Betis and if he shows the same level he likely moves for slightly more money than is being offered right now next year.

23. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    Ya i think we all agree thats likely true.

24. tomásbernal

tomásbernal Member+

Sep 4, 2007
    Club:
    Portland Timbers
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    F*cking LOL, dude. Thanks for that!

Dervos and The Irish Rover repped this.
  25. The Irish Rover

The Irish Rover Member+

Aug 1, 2010
    Dublin
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    Ireland Republic
    Definitely to a better team.

No disrespect to Roma, but they don't win much and don't qualify for CL either.