A balompie ride to the top - João Lucas de Souza Cardoso (Johnny) at Real Betis

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by BostonRed, Sep 26, 2018.

1. Eighteen Alpha

Eighteen Alpha Member+

Aug 17, 2016
    Club:
    Stoke City FC
    Adiós Toni…leyenda. The reign of Johnny begins.

superdave and Pl@ymaker repped this.
  2. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I was trying to figure out what Betis player has the name Toni then I remembered that it was Kroos' last La Liga game.:D

eliwood and Eighteen Alpha repped this.
  3. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hope he goes to Barca, Inter or Man City next.

4. Roblar

Roblar Member+

Sep 15, 2000
    The 73072
    I'd be happy for him to get regular minutes as an established starter at Betis for the entirety of the upcoming season.

tomásbernal, Pegasus and Winoman repped this.
  5. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I don't see why he wouldn't be a starter.

6. Roblar

Roblar Member+

Sep 15, 2000
    The 73072
    I didn't follow closely, but... I think Guido Rodriguez got injured, giving Johnny chances to get on the field. He excelled, but when Guido recovered, Johnny went to the bench.

I also believe that Rodriguez is trying to get out of Betis to find a team that will pay him more. (He had some sort of deal with Barcelona that has expired, but I think he and his agent are still looking, perhaps at Germany?) If that happens, Johnny should have a good chance to be the starter at Betis (unless Betis get a lot of cash for Rodriquez and buy someone pricey...).

If I searched, I might be able to link to some of that, but for now, it is just my foggy memory from a handful of articles I read in the past few weeks/days.

freisland and Winoman repped this.
  7. Pl@ymaker

Pl@ymaker Member+

Feb 8, 2010
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Johnny ended the season as a starter. He scored against Real Madrid in the final game of the season but there was a player offside on the play.

Guido is not going to play anymore for Betis. He wants to get paid more and he already has offers.
    https://www.barcablaugranes.com/202...on-guido-rodriguez-future-amid-barcelona-talk

8. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think Johnny even ended up starting with Guido a bit at the end of the season. Either way, a full season as a starter will be good.

9. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016

10. Gorky

Gorky Member+

Jul 28, 2006
    NYC
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    That would be a fast transfer.

11. HScoach13

HScoach13 Member+

Nov 30, 2016
    Club:
    Atlanta
    I think he was purchased for eight. Twenty five after a half season is a great bit of business.

12. McKenniesWeah

McKenniesWeah Member

New England
    United States
    Feb 12, 2024
    Agreed. Although this is one of the few YA instances where I feel it makes more sense to stay put.

Cardoso was the preferred option at Betis alongside Rodriguez. Now that Rodriguez has been sold, Johnny is even more of an obvious starter. Rodriguez leaving actually gives Cardoso more growth opportunity because he’ll see more of the ball.

If Cardoso stays at Betis and ups his game a little for a full season, then it makes sense for him to leave for a CL side, preferably in Spain or Italy because he’ll have proven his great performance for half a season at Betis wasn’t some kind of fluke.

13. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016
    Inter has a 20% sell on clause

14. twoolley

twoolley Member+

Jan 3, 2008
    I evaluate the options on their merit. I would be more skeptical of ligue 1 than serie A. But typically feel like striking while iron is hot has merit.

15. eliwood

eliwood Member+

Jul 25, 2016

16. kruck

kruck Member+

Jan 12, 2008
    Houston, TX
    Club:
    SV Werder Bremen
    Stay at Betis another season Johnny

Winoman and usnroach repped this.
  17. largegarlic

largegarlic Member+

Jul 2, 2007
    I feel like I'm still missing something with Cardoso. I haven't watched him much at the club level, but I feel like with the USMNT, he's improved from quite bad to fine, but nothing special. Certainly not at the level where clubs like PSG and Juventus would be interested.

superdave repped this.
  18. Kagler24

Kagler24 Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Los Angeles
    #968 Kagler24, Jun 24, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 24, 2024
    You should watch him professionally. I'd take him over Adams right now no problem.

Cardoso is still getting acclimated to the team, doesn't speak very good english. While Adams is Berhalters guy, knows exactly what he expects and is a great leader. I'd say Adams is slightly better defensively, whilst Cardoso is far better with the ball and his vision as a 6 is unparalleled in our pool. And Cardoso consistently led his team in defensive recoveries so he isn't too far behind in that department either. Cardoso is also exclusively a 6, so he's not going to get minutes like Musah does at multiple positions.

ShayG, theboogeyman, Winoman and 3 others repped this.
  19. Rahbiefowlah

Rahbiefowlah Member+

Oct 22, 2001
    Las Vegas
    I feel like it’s humbling to watch this player that is clearly valued across Europe and really struggle to understand why he’s so good. He’s been a tough watch for me. It’s hard to catch the subtlety in what he does but man he grows on you after a while. He’s so different than any other player we have.

20. dams

dams Member+

United States
    Dec 22, 2018
    Gio is the guy in our pool that is most similar IMO.

Both are press resistant and really good at using their bodies to shield the ball and set themselves up. Both have very good positional awareness both offensively and defensively. Both are technical. Both have an elegant economy of motion about them that is not typical of American soccer players in general.

Personally I think Gio is the more gifted of the two from an attack perspective and Johnny is the better defender but that may just be my bias showing through. Johnny appears like he might be on the better career trajectory ATM.

Jessie Marsch had an analysis/rant about Johnny when he was still a talking head and before he was the Canada coach. Talked about how much better and more dynamic Tyler Adams is relative to Johnny. He was pretty brutal. He has, been critical of both Johnny and Gio. Frankly, I’m very pleased that he did not get the US job based on some of the player analysis I have seen from him.

21. Kagler24

Kagler24 Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Adams motor and ability to cover ground is unmatched. Johnny just uses his positional IQ extremely well. That's why Johnny is in La Liga and Adams in the EPL. Its also why to the casual observer Adams stands out and Johnny doesnt.

felloveranddidanadu, usnroach and dams repped this.
  22. felloveranddidanadu

Plymouth Argyle FC
    Dec 12, 2009
    Club:
    San Jose Frogs
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, agree with all the above. If he were more athletic he'd be on a top, top team. He can still grow into his style though and reach the highest levels IMO. For every Kante there's a Busquets.

What I particularly love about his game is that you can tell he knows what he's gonna do with the ball before he gets it. He also has a few ideas in mind in case option 1 is closed down. Adams has improved in this regard a lot, but I think the multi-options piece is still missing for him.

usnroach and Kagler24 repped this.
  23. theboogeyman

theboogeyman Member+

Jun 21, 2010
    Yeah I do think Cardoso is better, but I also think a lot depends on what a coach might be looking for with his system. Johnny is extremely comfortable on the ball in tight spaces, and a very good passer, and he picks his spots going forward well. And although he reads the game well defensively, he doesn’t have the physicality and athleticism that Adams does. I’d go so far as to say that if he had Adams’ physical tools, he’d be a locked in starter for a top 10 club.

I hope that Berhalter gives him a real chance to supplant Adams moving forward. For me, Cardoso makes more sense against opponents that are going to bunker, or ones where we want to win the possession battle. Against teams where we plan to dig in defensively, Adams might make more sense.

usnroach and Kagler24 repped this.
  24. Kagler24

Kagler24 Member+

Nov 13, 2008
    Los Angeles
    Against teams like Uruguay,Argentina, Brazil, I wouldn't mind seeing a double pivot with Adams and Cardoso side by side with Gio ahead of them. Problem is they've never played together, so this Copa America probably isn't the time to try it. But allowing Adams to go head hunting further up field with Cardoso sitting deep and distributing would be interesting against really dangerous teams.

dams, twoolley and theboogeyman repped this.
  25. theboogeyman

theboogeyman Member+

Jun 21, 2010
    Yeah I said the same thing a week or so ago, probably in another thread. The main point is that we have options that berhalter needs to lose. If he keeps starting Mckennie, Reyna, and Adams every game in this tournament we won’t accomplish what we want to.

Kagler24 repped this.