9v9 Mid-Block

Discussion in 'Youth & HS Soccer' started by swheeler, Oct 21, 2021.

1. swheeler

swheeler New Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Greetings,

I'll be coaching my first U11 club team in the Spring and am interested in teaching them how to apply a mid-block defense. I've seen a lot of references on the Net regarding what a mid-block is, but nothing specifically as to when it is triggered or where players drop off to in setting themselves. There are loads of references to 11v11 mid-block usage, but I can't find much in the way of 9v9 utilization. Am I missing it? Are there considerations that make 9v9 mid-block unrealistic? Anyone out there using mid-block successfully in the youth 9v9 game? Would love to hear your experiences and perhaps get a little guidance on implementation.

Thanks,
    Scott

2. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    #2 NewDadaCoach, Oct 22, 2021
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2021
    I think that the coaching sub would be a more relevant place to post your question.
    But I'll give my 2 cents. Same for a 9v9 would apply as an 11v11, it's just that you would scale the distances proportionately.
    Eg, if your defensive line sits around 20 yards from top of the box in 11v11, then you'd shave a few yards off that since the field is smaller for 9v9, so maybe about 15 yards above the box.
    The mid block is sort of a general play-it-safe block (in between high and low).
    Use high block if you want to push the opponent up and use positional play to aggressively try to score. If you're good with possession this is a good option. The risk is you leave a big gap behind your defenders.
    The low block is good for teams that like to park the bus (ie protect goal, let other team have possession in their half) and counter attack. If you use a low block you can draw the opponent forward (towards you) leaving space behind them; this is good for counter attacking teams (ie you have fast forwards); lob it into the space and win the foot race.

I think it comes down to the characteristics of your players. If they are physical and fast and not great at keeping possession (via passing) then do a low block+counter attack. If they are less physical but good at passing then do a medium-high block to keep possession and press high, and go for the offside trap in transition, also make sure you have a fast centre back just in case.

If your kids are somewhere in the middle the use a mid block. You can also vary this throughout the game. For ex, you can start with high block and if you go up a few goals, then move to a low block to protect your lead. Your players might be tired by then so this could allow them to rest a bit.

I think these general strategies would hold true regardless of team sizes (11s, 9s, 7s).

swheeler repped this.
  3. NewDadaCoach

NewDadaCoach Member

Tottenham Hotspur
    United States
    Sep 28, 2019
    I think also it depends on what your opponent is doing. If they are a good counter attacking team then it could be quite risky to play a high block. Stay with mid-low block.
    But maybe for U11 this doesn't matter all that much; maybe it's too much strategy talk. In general have them minimize big gaps, play their positions, try to win balls, try to get their head up, move off ball to create angles, and take shots.
    No good team plays 100% in one style; they might lean towards one style but you don't want to be too predictable, so mix it up.

4. swheeler

swheeler New Member

Dec 13, 2016
    @NewDadaCoach Thank you for that detailed reply, it's most appreciated!

NewDadaCoach repped this.
  5. CoachP365

CoachP365 Member+

Money Grab FC
    Apr 26, 2012
    How are you planning to attack?

6. swheeler

swheeler New Member

Dec 13, 2016
    Hi @CoachP365,

If I have strong backs, I look to push the CD up into a 2-4(diamond)-2 attacking configuration and focus on getting the outside mids engaged.

Scott

7. rustysurf83

rustysurf83 Member

Dec 30, 2015
    Club:
    Borussia Dortmund
    Take this for what it’s worth, but I try to train everyone at 9v9 as a “center mid” ie everyone attacks and everyone defends. At the age where you are still playing small sided, imo, it’s much more
    Important to develop the player vs. develop the team. I play a 341 with a double 6 because I feel like it give the players freedom for anyone, including the center back, to fly forward in attack and teaches the players principles of pressure/cover/balance and width/depth in attack. That being said, I’ll switch formations/positions mid game, very often during a short stoppage, just to force them to adapt. I recently suggested a formation change to one of our U16 premier coaches based on a couple injuries and their opponent that week. The response was that they didn’t want to change that close to the game. If you have a bunch of sophomores in HS and can’t change formations and tactics at will, you have failed the players IMO.