93/94 Thread

Discussion in 'Girls Youth Soccer' started by Toxoman, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Sportingmom

Sportingmom New Member

Apr 20, 2005
    Central IL

Another August tournament is the Sporting Futbol Club's Mid-America Shootout. It is August 19-20th and held in Mossville, IL (near Peoria). GO to their website at www.sportingfc.org for more information.

2. Toxoman

Toxoman New Member

Mar 30, 2005
    StL Challenge Cup was a nice tournament last August and I am sure will be very good again this August.

3. socca

socca New Member

Sep 2, 2005
    Chicago
    Well DD just came back from her first ODP camp. She is bruised, battered and happy as a clam! She had a blast! Met girls from all over, made a ton of friends and said she played so much soccer that she thinks she wants to take A DAY or TWO off. LOL

The kid is dedicated. She is a keeper and there were a bunch of them at camp...too bad cause it looked like the 93's only had 4.

How do they notify you if your child makes it to the next step? I'm a newbie to this. How long does it take and how do they decide? She received a written evaluation that had grades from 1 to 5 in about 30 areas. Do they take the composite score?

She is a younger so it will be pretty improbable that she will make it.

I know that there are a lot of conversations about ODP but for my two cents it was great and she loved it! Coaches were kind, tough and really pushed the kids. Now she wants to go to a one week GK camp to try to work on things on her evaluation...this could get expensive.

Food wasn't too bad and she felt like everything was well organized.

4. lucky13dad

lucky13dad Member

May 16, 2006
    Region 2
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My kid was at the same camp, so your post sounded familiar! According to one of the handout sheets, notification should occur in writing in 7 days from the end of camp, HOWEVER, some kids were saying that the coaches told them it would be "2-3 weeks": pretty close to the regional ODP camp date! I guess we'll know when we hear about it. The evaluations were pretty detailed, but some kids were saying they were told they scored low on certain items because the coaches didn't have enough chance to see them perform that particular skill several times.:confused: Some of the kids "compared notes" and found that the free-write section of the evaluation was almost the same in some cases, word-for-word. I imagine each evaluator can get into a rut, having a bunch of kids to evaluate and a limited time to do it. A good experience, all in all. Good luck to your daughter!

5. socca

socca New Member

Sep 2, 2005
    Chicago
    Well the letters are out! We have not gotten one yet, but one of my dd's friends got her's and she's going to Regional Camp.
    She is anxiously waiting for tomorrow's mail!
    Good Luck everyone!

6. Toxoman

Toxoman New Member

Mar 30, 2005
    Are those the IL letters? Has anyone else gotten one yet?

7. lucky13dad

lucky13dad Member

May 16, 2006
    Region 2
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Yeah, Tox, those are the IL letters. Watch your mail: my kid's roommate got hers yesterday, but she lives "next door" to the IYSA office. DD is anxiously awaiting the mail today!

8. socca

socca New Member

Sep 2, 2005
    Chicago
    Yup it's Illinois...Well DD got her letter today...it's good - I think :) She is an alternate. So as a GK 94 does anyone have a clue as to what her chances are for making the team????

She was pretty disappointed, but in my parenting wisdom, I told her that even M Jordan was cut from his HS team. OK maybe it was a bit lame, but what is a parent to do???

Any advice on her potentially making the camp?

9. lucky13dad

lucky13dad Member

May 16, 2006
    Region 2
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Did the letter give any guidance on the next step? An Illinois GK may have a different commitment, or otherwise be unable/unwilling to attend, and she'll get a call. Or....I saw that some of the literature talked about "composite" players: another state may have a need for a GK at the camp, and maybe she'll be called for that (I don't know, we're new at this, too). As an Illinois alternate, she still ranks pretty high in a competitive state. And these are only 94s....if she keeps having fun, improving, and playing well, she'll make the team in later years, when it really starts to count. Good luck!

10. socca

socca New Member

Sep 2, 2005
    Chicago
    Thanks Lucky Dad! I heard from ODP via email today...they took 36 girls total, so I guess that would mean enough for two teams. I was told that if a GK could not make it she would be called.

I did not see anything about composite players, but that would be wonderful if she had another option. She loves being a GK and love soccer in general. I know that she faces a tough row of it because she is a 'younger' with an August B Day...I'm proud of her and of what she obviously accomplished.
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed for her! Thanks again for the good word.

11. Toxoman

Toxoman New Member

Mar 30, 2005
    So how did things go at the 93/94 Region 2 ODP camp? Any stories?

How about the upcoming season? What are the teams to watch out for? Are the Internationals a huge threat now after winning US Club Nationals??

How about tournaments? Who is going where?

NSR Cup is up first -- brackets are out -- who are the favorites?

What teams will disappear now that we move evryone to 11v11?

Lets get the U13 talk started!

12. Ratpack 9

Ratpack 9 New Member

Jan 6, 2006
    Teams to watch out for: Any team in Region 2:)

Teams falling: Any "Mighty" team from Arkansas:D

We have some friendlies scheduled with STLSC this weekend, then begin preparation for league and the Challenge Cup.

Having seen the Internationals play, I would say they could stack up pretty well with most of the heavy hitters in Region 2. Their domination at US Club Nationals only points out how strong Region 2 is. Waxing the Wombats (a top 3 Region 1 team) 3-0 is proof.

How would you rank the Regions in order of Strength at U13?

My Thoughts:

Region 2
    Region 3
    Region 4
    Region 1

Any one else have thoughts?

13. Toxoman

Toxoman New Member

Mar 30, 2005
    First off -- Rat -- get to bed! 4:03 AM!!!??? I know -- you are across the "big pond"....

Tough to rank the Regions -- have not seen much outside of 2 and a little bit of 3....4 tends to be one of the strongest and I don't know how many from R2 have played many R4 teams....

That said, Internationals did great and I am glad they won!

14. Toxoman

Toxoman New Member

Mar 30, 2005
    Alright -- the 13 season has begun -- any tournament/league talk?

Who are the early favorites to win their state and/or Regionals?

Lets get this board going!

15. CVAL

CVAL Member

Dec 8, 2004

http://www.soccerincollege.com/rank.aspx

16. Toxoman

Toxoman New Member

Mar 30, 2005
    Slick looking site -- needs some work on its rankings though -- missing a lot of teams for the U13s (no Eclipse for IL, no FC Milwaukee for WI, StLSC, JB Marine for MO, Bangu for MN....)

Maybe if everyone got their teams on -- this would be a nice site!

17. CVAL

CVAL Member

Dec 8, 2004
    Yeah seems a little lacking in your area. Florida has most of teams almost in the correct order.

18. Toxoman

Toxoman New Member

Mar 30, 2005
    Yep -- Region 2 is in need of a makeover on that site -- perhaps in time it will build into something though (apparently they have been around for about 3 years??)

So who are the top 10-15 teams in each Region for the U13 Girls?

Who are the early favorites to play at Regionals (and win?)

19. Kick It

Kick It New Member

Mar 23, 2006
    That site has potential. It is slowly catching on in areas. Will se what happens. Right now are B team is ranked ninth in Ohio and we have no ranking.

20. Toxoman

Toxoman New Member

Mar 30, 2005
    It looks like it will be dependent on folks getting their team names in there and then tournament results sent to the site -- It is a nice site, just needs more input...

21. ebriley

ebriley New Member

Aug 10, 2006
    If anyone is looking for a good event between seasons, Triangle Futbol Club in North Carolina holds their TFC Friendlies the last weekend of January. My old '90/'91 girls team has gone the past few years, and the level of competition has been along the same lines as WAGS, Jeff Cup, CASL Shootout, etc. during that time. It's cheap as dirt, I think the entry fee last year was $395, and you'll get three or four full-length games outdoors. It's not a tournament so it doesn't go towards rankings or anything, which is probably why it's so inexpensive, but it's a great tune-up for the season against elite level competition. I don't know how the '93/'94 age group was last season, but I went with the '90/'91 team at U13, U14 and U15 and we played against state champions and regional champions each year.

PS - I'm new to the age group this year, so I'm looking forward to seeing all of you around on the fields for the next few years!

22. chinaglia

chinaglia Member

Jan 25, 1999
    Florence, SC USA
    Club:
    Motherwell FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Anyone going to be in Libertyville, IL for the Octoberfest Tournament?

23. Toxoman

Toxoman New Member

Mar 30, 2005
    I don't believe we will be at Libertyville this year for Octoberfest....

The MI Hawks win the NSR Cup over the weekend with a 2-0 win over NSA and a 2-1 over Eclipse....looks like they are back after a slide in the second half of last season!

24. Kick It

Kick It New Member

Mar 23, 2006
    How was the game Tox? Looks like you and the Hawks were the only 2 teams to win a game in the tournament.

Details

ps you might get a crack at them in 2 weeks.

25. Toxoman

Toxoman New Member

Mar 30, 2005
    Hawks looked good -- small, quick team -- very well organized...very much deserved the win.

Eclipse Challenge Cup would be a nice chance to play them again...