93/94 Thread

Discussion in 'Girls Youth Soccer' started by Toxoman, Mar 6, 2006.

1. Toxoman

Toxoman New Member

Mar 30, 2005
    Hello All!

Great to see that the Girls Youth Soccer Subforum is open for business. I will open this thread to discuss the 93/94 age group (currently U12).

Any favorites for State Cups? How about early favorites for teams that could make Regionals next year as U13s?

Anybody attending any big tournaments for this age?

2. Toxoman

Toxoman New Member

Mar 30, 2005
    We will be heading to Jefferson City, MO for the Battle of the Border on March 18-19. Anyone else attending?

3. Ratpack 9

Ratpack 9 New Member

Jan 6, 2006
    Toxo:

Good to see a forum just for the U12 ladies! State cup is still aways away for us. I would like to think we are the favorites. One item of beef though.

Why do the soccer gods that be think the at U12, soccer should be played at 8v8? In Kansas, the size of the fields and the more importantly the size of the girls, make this an extremely unattractive game. Shoot, every goal kick turns into a scoring opportunity!!

U11 and younger, yes I get it. But at U12, should we not be transitioning to the big field?

Any thoughts on reasoning out there?

4. RegionIIFutbolr

Jul 4, 2005
    Region 2
    I can remember yrs ago when they switched from 8v8 with a keeper at U8 to
    4v4 everyone was up in arms, so we had to change. After a few wins later, everyone was all for the 4v4 format. However, now that we are way past those golden yrs, I really havent paid much attention to it. I guess just sitting here thinking about it, cant we get more girls involved playing the 8v8 format?? Get more girls involved in the attack. I can also remember when I use to ref, there were girls in the back at least 50 yards away from the play just standing there, not moving up etc...that had to change. Since we have been through it, I think its a good thing to get more involved at the younger ages...Remember, the younger ages are not playing for the World Cup.:)

Thanks BS for the girls forum

5. RegionIIFutbolr

Jul 4, 2005
    Region 2
    Mr Rat, how well known is the KS Rush? Arent they a sister club from the Colorado Rush?? Is it taking off yet in KS???

6. Toxoman

Toxoman New Member

Mar 30, 2005
    My daughter played 11v11 as a U11 in WI -- then they switched to 8v8 for U12....now she a U12 in IL and playing 11v11 again -- so I have seen that age and the differences in the game the past 3 years for these kids...

My take, the top teams at U12 can play 11v11 no problem -- leg strength, passing -- understanding shape is all starting to come for them...the bulk of teams, U12 8v8 is probably fine. I would prefer to see the U12 Premiere play at 11v11, though. One other big problem you run into -- different states running with different rules for the U12 age group causes trouble for travel to tournaments (being right on the IL/WI border you see it clearly) -- WI plays 8v8 for U12 and IL plays 11v11 -- so WI teams end up with short rosters (save guest players) for IL tourneys -- and IL teams rarely go up to WI for that age because they don't want to play 8v8 at that age.

7. Ratpack 9

Ratpack 9 New Member

Jan 6, 2006
    Kansas Rush (Formerly Olathe Soccer Club) is still in infancy stages. There are many things being incorporated into the program that were developed at other places. So slow going to say the least. Good part is they have a tremendous population (for Kansas at least) to draw from in the future. If they can develop some strong teams in the future, they will continue to grow.

8. Ratpack 9

Ratpack 9 New Member

Jan 6, 2006
    Toxo:

Good point. I think premier teams can easily transition to 11v11 at U12. Understanding that they most likely have the most gifted kids in any particular area, it just makes sense to expose them to the true game as early as possible. If, and I say if, the game has been taught properly, defenders and defending midfielders will be involved even on the big field. No sitting back 50 yards watching play like a spectator.

Secondly, we will be playing U13 in league this year because this is our only opportunity to play 11v11 at U12. Then, after playing the entire outdoor season at 11v11, we will be forced to revert to the tiny field to play 8v8 at State Cup.

Finally, I agree with the concept of getting more touches for the younger ages and I agree to the concept of small sided games. But at age 12, at least at the premier level, 11v11 provides even more playing time for more players. So I think some of the logic is lost in translation.

Just my 2 cents.

9. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Trouble with this logic, any premier team worth its salt -- i.e., the ones that wish to play 11v11 at U12 -- should be getting 20x or more as many touches in weekly practices as in the games.

The more touches makes better players stuff is logical for the rec league ULittles, who aren't practicing very much, but it falls apart very fast under close scrutiny when we're talking about high-level U12.

10. RegionIIFutbolr

Jul 4, 2005
    Region 2
    I also heard some not so good news for BVS...The new SYL Divison that was suppose to take place this summer for girls in Iowa (Menace), KS-BVS, Mo, Ne, Co and Mn did not take shape. Im not sure what happened. On the boys side, since this new division isnt happening, I guess the boys are joining the Chicago Division, but get this, the powers at Magic (So I am told) will NOT travel west of the Mississippi to play, so every SYL the boys play, they have to travel east of the Mississippi. They wont even travel to Muscatine to play. What a shame, Muscatine is one of the finest complex's around.

11. Ratpack 9

Ratpack 9 New Member

Jan 6, 2006
    Don't get me wrong, John R, I totally agree. But having a child that plays premier U9 also, the small sided games have truly helped with confidence and skill in pressure situation which is sometimes difficult to produce on a practice level. And yes, she still practices twice a week with her team and much more at home on her own.

But at U12, it is a JOKE! At the premier level, these girls are WAY to big, and WAY to strong to play on a small field. The only ones hurt are the ones that put off learning the 11v11 game one more year! So I think we agree, somewhat.

12. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Probably entirely. I'm fine with 4v4 or 6v6 at U9.

13. Ratpack 9

Ratpack 9 New Member

Jan 6, 2006
    Region II:

I have yet to hear anything of this from our club. I do know that Peter Vermes (the DOC) is a vocal advocate for the Super Y, but I am not sure why the midwest side fizzled out this year. It is a good question that I will look into.

Funny you bring this up though as I was discussing this just yesterday at the gym. I have a local friend that broadcasts for FSC and does a significant amount work for the SYL. He indicated that the level of interest in the midwest region continues to grow each year and indicated that he thought that it would become a very viable option to the MRL in upcoming years (especially with the inclusion of U13's over MRL which starts at U14).

Are you seeing the same level of interest in your area? Is MRL still king?

14. RegionIIFutbolr

Jul 4, 2005
    Region 2
    DM Menace is VERY interested, you can only have so many SYL teams/clubs per population I guess (?) and the Menace here in DSM has the bid to be the local SYL club. However, as much as we want to play in it, we keep getting shut down before it even starts. Its to bad really, we have all kinds of girls wanting to play thru-out the summer. You will come to find out that the big guys run the show in SYL. So, let me put you on the clock, is BVS better than Eclipse u12's???
    There is a girl from BVS that goes to SSM up in MN. have you heard anything about that??

15. Ratpack 9

Ratpack 9 New Member

Jan 6, 2006
    Well, we did make it to the finals of the Best of Midwest and they didn't! Just kidding Tox :). Who knows which is better until we play one another (which will hopefully happen in August if not sooner). Since you know both, come on out during the DM Menace Just for Girls and take a look at us next month, then compare. I am sure Tox and I both would like your honest opinion!!

Haven't heard anything about the girl in Mn. What age? What exactly is SSM?

16. Toxoman

Toxoman New Member

Mar 30, 2005
    Yeah -- hopefully we will run into BVS sometime soon...too bad we could not have met at the Border Battle in 2 weeks!

Not looking good for Spring meeting between BVS and Eclipse U12s -- Eclipse is going to NSR Cup the same weekend as JFG....

What are the best U12 teams you have seen Ratpack?

17. RegionIIFutbolr

Jul 4, 2005
    Region 2
    I will sure try to come find you for the JFG event. Thanks for coming up for it. They are playing it at Cownie where the US Natls are going to take place. Great Complex.....what # is your daughter??

SSM stands for Shattuck-St Mary's www.s-sm.org its a private boarding school that is famous for US Youth Hockey. They just started a full time resident soccer program up there. Get with Tox on this, he has all kinds of fliers on it. Its a gem in the making. The girl from BVS is a U15 going to school up there and involved in the soccer program. TopDrawerSoccer.com just did a minor story on SSM and up and coming resident soccer programs popping up around the US.

Are you on the Show-Me side of KC or on the other side??

18. Ratpack 9

Ratpack 9 New Member

Jan 6, 2006
    There are quite a few, but we have seen the following that all have been very, very tough games:

KCFC Alliance (KS)
    JB Marine (MO)
    SLSC Schmitt (MO)
    NSA Fury (IL)
    Bangu Tsunami (MN)
    Wolfpack (MO)
    Pink Panthers (MO)
    Balt. Bays (DE)
    Carmel United (IN)
    FC Dallas (TX)

These are just the ones we have played. There are numerous others. Being that you are from the Windy City, what teams would you add to that list? What about you RegionII and JohnR?

19. RegionIIFutbolr

Jul 4, 2005
    Region 2
    We play U15, our team just won the Disney Showcase back in Jan. So we are a few yrs ahead of you. I think JohnR is u13 Boys with Sockers..??

20. Toxoman

Toxoman New Member

Mar 30, 2005
    Teams we have seen so far:

StL- Fine
    Wolfpack
    Bangu Tsunami
    FC Milwaukee
    ESC Blank (OK)
    JB Marine
    In league:
    NSA
    Strikers Fox Valley
    Sirens South
    Homer Hawks

Our team just formed back in the Fall, so we are just getting rolling a little more now -- should be a busy Spring.

21. Ratpack 9

Ratpack 9 New Member

Jan 6, 2006
    Grew up on the Show-Me side, now reside on the other. Best of both worlds if you like.

Full-time resident program? Wow, what age are we talking here? Is this modeled after something in Europe? I would be very interested in learning more, hey Tox can you send a flier my way?

# of my daughter, come on Region II, what do you think? Ratpack9!! You can't miss her (aka QTip), Tox knows what I am talking about!!

22. RegionIIFutbolr

Jul 4, 2005
    Region 2
    Hey Rat, Toxo's team is F A S T and deep with talent...they have a big tradition to follow, isnt that right Toxo?? HA:D

23. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Yep, boys side, sorry I can't help you.

I did see a girl these weekend playing on a champion Hispanic league U13 boys side. Blonde hair in a ponytail, so she didn't quite resemble the rest of her teammates. ;) She was a very solid defender, held her own at the top level of boys play. Impressive.

But that's pretty much my level of contact with the girls game.

24. Ratpack 9

Ratpack 9 New Member

Jan 6, 2006
    Region II, I had heard that a number of times already:p! Can't remember where though? Although, I did hear they were a little weak at defender :) .

25. Toxoman

Toxoman New Member

Mar 30, 2005
    They do have the tradition! The 12s will have to step up quite a bit to fill the shoes of all the older Eclipse teams to be sure!

We do have good speed....