91's YNT named for ODP Interregional

Discussion in 'Youth National Teams' started by CG, Oct 20, 2004.

1. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Monarch Bay -

Good story. I'm a big believer that talent can be identified early. However, your tale is food for thought.

2. Dave Marino-Nachison

Jun 9, 1999
    Is it safe to guess that Cowdrey is a superior athlete his trainer thought might benefit from a little "coaching up"? I suck now, but I got so much better between 15 and 17 that I'd hate to think people might have given up on me by 12. Of course, I was an average athlete so my ceiling was pretty low -- probably D1 benchwarmer at best. Cowdrey's may be much higher.

3. Monarch Bay Beachbum

Apr 5, 2004
    The OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

A very good athlete, but that was not the difference maker for him in my opinion. He is very smart. Learned his positioning very well and was willing to work hard on the ball skills.

If I remember correctly, speaking of his athleticism, I think he is a cousin of AJ Godbolt of U of MD.

4. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    The 90s - U15 National Team- played a series of matches, their first, at the Nike Friendlies. It really is a good looking team. You may want to click here to see some details of the matches.

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/ScoreSheet/1101949592/view

The 91s played their first matches - in two units - at the Thanksgiving ODP Interregional. YOu can see they struggled against the older players (the size difference in some cases was just too much) and then looked pretty good against each other at the end.

http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/TrainingGround/1101530875/view

I don't know when the 15s play again, although I think they will compete at Dallas Cup. The 14s, as noted, are on their way to Mexico.

5. ugaaccountant

ugaaccountant New Member

Oct 26, 2003
    Shouldn't the 15's be the more important team, since they are both older and will be our next set of u-17's? It doesn't seem like the 14's should go international before the 15's.

6. GersMan

GersMan Member

May 11, 2000
    Indianapolis
    I wouldn't say it denotes greater importance. The 15s will have an international trip as well at some point.

7. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I think we're confusing two different things here - 1) whether one can come into soccer "cold" at 12 and 2) how to project players forward from age 12.

The European scouts aren't too keen about the success rate in trying 1). The 12 year old had better have some game. However, they generally won't make technique the #1 differentiator in determining the upside of a 12 year old. They'll focus instead on the things that they can't teach - speed, agility, mental focus, toughness, competitive attitude.

8. JohnR

JohnR Member+

Jun 23, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    I think we're confusing two different things here - 1) whether one can come into soccer "cold" at 12 and 2) how to project players forward from age 12.

The European scouts aren't too keen about the success rate in trying 1). The 12 year old had better have some game. However, they generally won't make technique the #1 differentiator in determining the upside of a 12 year old. They'll focus instead on the things that they can't teach - speed, agility, mental focus, toughness, competitive attitude.

Of course, exceptions to every rule. Encounter a 12 year old Kaka and even if he's not a super athlete (as he apparently wasn't at that time, although he blossomed late and is now fast & large) there's probably room for that kid in your program.

9. Canadian_Supporter

Staff Member

Dec 20, 1999
    Prostějov, CR
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    --other--
    A huge bump (sorry about that), but I just thought some would find it interesting to hear that Teal Bunbury has been called into the Canadian U17 developmental side (current U15's).

10. soccermama3

soccermama3 New Member

Jan 1, 2005
    Interesting........he's been attending Shattuck St. Mary's a private school in Minnesota that started a soccer program with the Minnesota Thunder. Baba Omosegbon (Indiana) and Teal (Minnesota) were the two '90 Region II players they picked up for the school. There are also 4 '90s from Virginia on the team, of which 2 are on the '90 Region 1 ODP team (Derek Markheim and Seth Jacobs).

11. Onionsack

Onionsack BigSoccer Yellow Card

Jul 21, 2003
    New York City
    Club:
    FC Girondins de Bordeaux
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Peckham, Sean – Pennsylvania

So close there...

Also is that Soroka any relation to Ryan?

12. USvsIRELAND

USvsIRELAND Member+

Jul 19, 2004
    ATL
    Brother.

Julian Valentin's brother is there too.

13. burleigh

burleigh New Member

Nov 9, 2007
    What have you all heard about Kelyn Rowe? I heard he went to an International Talent Showcase put on my U.S.F.C. (www.usfcsoccer.com). Apparently he's pretty good.