9/7 Revolution Video News: Includes Franchino vs. Mathis Altercation

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by The Magpie, Sep 11, 2003.

1. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
  2. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    WOW that game against the metros looked like a scorcher! Those shots an goal were incrediable. And how unlucky were the Revs?? I tell ya though, any time anyone questions the quality of this league I watch the goal highlights on MLSnet.com or MLS Wrap and that's all I need to know where the quality of this league is. Seems to me from those clips that folks are taking the Open Cup pretty damn seriously.

Regarding the Mathis/Franchino altercation. The clup was obviously grainy but it did look like that Mathis got a couple of shots to Franchino's face with his elbow before Franchino really lost it. Man did he ever lose it. I'm very suprised there hasn't been some sanction as of yet, that could and probably should be 2-3 game material there, with 1-2 games for Mathis as well. Granted my view of it may be skewed because of the video quality. Franchino is very lucky that the ref and the Metro player pulled him off of Mathis because if he had been able to reel back and *@#*@#*@#*@# him like he was about to, that would have been very very bad. It looks like Mathis is very much on form, from those highlights and his two goals last week. I'm sure it just stemmed from frustration, but he's really got to keep his head about him. That type of thing is just not acceptable. Charging after a guy and looking to tackle him?! This isn't some city park prison leauge pick up game Joe.

3. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I didn't stream the above link but I did see the Mathis/Franchino replay on MLS Wrap last weekend. While in reading the reports and eyewitness accounts they mostly pooh-poohed Mathis' elbow, there's no doubt it was a pretty flagrant one, and I can see how it set off Joey. He still overreacted, but sometimes a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

4. mdesimone1

mdesimone1 New Member

Jul 26, 2000
    California
    the link is not working. anyone have a video clip of the incident? thank you very much.

5. soccertim

soccertim Member

Mar 29, 2001
    Mass
    It worked for me. Try going to revolutionsoccer.net and click on Revs Video News - 9/5/03 in the Media World section. Are you using netscape or internet explorer?

6. petezuke17

petezuke17 Member

May 7, 2003
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Like it was stated above, the video feed was grainy - but unlike what they were protesting on the Metros boards, that was not just Clint trying to create seperation that was a deliberate elbow. Both deserved red and to tell you the truth that should be the end of the story.

Revs need to worry about the remaining games they have with the Mutts and getting results; not retrebution against the classless underachiever that Mathis is.... not condoning what Joey did in any way, but Mathis had it comming.

7. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    yeah i'm going to revise my thoughts on it a little bit. mathis definately should have gotten a red, as well as franchino, but i think franchino should have probably gotten another game or even two for charging after him like that and obviously being ready to rumble with him when he was on the ground.

8. TTweLLMan

TTweLLMan New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Middleboro MA
    I cannot open .smi files, what do you guys use?

I dont have real player, and i dont think my mom wants to pay for real player.

9. John Lewis

John Lewis New Member

Mar 15, 2000
    Boston
    Real Player Basic is free, and it will play RVN for you. Download it.

Your mom won't mind.

10. TTweLLMan

TTweLLMan New Member

Jun 3, 2002
    Middleboro MA
    lol... k thnx.