9/4 Revs-Quakes in/post game [R]

Discussion in 'New England Revolution' started by MouseyTongue, Sep 4, 2004.

1. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Chris "why-can't-we-get-players-like-that?" Brown scores in the 48th minute.

Stick a fork in the Revs' season, it's done.

I'm listening to the match on the Internet, SJ feed, and even their announcer can't understand why the Revs are allowing SJ to keep possession.

2. dilbert

dilbert New Member

Oct 22, 2001
    Possession doesn't have anything to do with it. We had a number of shots that weren't finished ... per usual. :eek:

3. MouseyTongue

MouseyTongue New Member

Feb 16, 2001
    a box in the Chairma
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well at least I won't have to waste my time watching the match tomorrow after taping it tonight. Should we start a pool for the day the "Fire Nicol" thread starts?

4. SirFozzie

SirFozzie Moderator
    Staff Member

Apr 17, 2001
    Franklin, MA
    whatever it is, take the under.

God. Just got home, and man, we suck.

5. NFLPatriot

NFLPatriot Member+

Jun 25, 2002
    Foxboro, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Three game home stand. One goal, 1 point, last place. Pathetic. What curse did they pick up in the Azores?

6. dilbert

dilbert New Member

Oct 22, 2001
    Twellman has to be the most unlucky guy out there, or his concentration is gone. This game can't be blamed on the defense, or Nichols. We had too many opportunities to score and just couldn't put it in the net.

7. klinsmann

klinsmann Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Arlington, MA
    As a long time Revs supporter this is one of the low points. I actually left at half time because the soccer was so bad. After seeing the USMNT show speed and cohesion, this was a huge let down.

How much are we paying this guy Howey to jog around the middle of the field? The guy didn't sprint once and was absolutley useless. I'm not a huge Cancela fan but he's better than Howey. Howey looks like a sweeper not a defensive midfielder. Put Joseph back at d-mid and bring in Cancela to fee the forwards.

The first half was pathetic. From the sounds of it the 2nd half wasn't much better. I wont be going to any more Revs game this year.

The shame is that they got a good crowd for the first game and could have converted some new fans, instead they not only didn't they gain any new fans, they alienated some old ones.

8. Tobas

Tobas Member

Jul 22, 2004
    Littleton, MA
    Good god, what happened to this team. They were totally unable to sustain any meaningful possession. Kamler did not create anything on his side, I do not remember an attack coming from the left until Brillant came on. Demspey just did not look good out there today. The few times the Revs were in an attacking position they just seemed to play with the ball way too much.

Can we get someone who can get an accurate and powerful shot from outside. Either no one on our team can do it, or they are just unwilling. Just a pure frustrating game tonight. Not a good way to try and win over fans that came out to see the US and stayed for the Revs.

This is the first time that I actually do not believe the Revs will make the playoffs. You know it is bad when the fort seams to lose all hope and turns on the team. It is a sad day for the Revs and their supporters.

9. crash2772

crash2772 New Member

Mar 18, 2001
    very pathetic.

Has Twellman been ignoring the shooting drills in practice?!!?!? I can honestly say when he blew that cross from Baker I boo'ed. He deserved it. Richie's frustration said it all.

Probably the worst game I have seen from Dempsey and Avery John-- but this has really been their only weak game all year, it happens.

Howey looked lost in the first half. He didnt defend, attack, or hustle at all. In the second half he started getting touches (which were good), but his lack of effort was depressing.

On the plus side- Noonan seemed to be hustling in an un-Noonan like way. Perhaps he realized he may have to put in some effort when he doesnt have the ball in order to play effectively (especially defensively).

I've always thought we lost a lot without Cancela. Yes he has his faults, but he is excellent at recieving passes and holding onto the ball in the attacking 3rd. Noonan and Twellman did a good job coming back, but the midfield seemed lost. Cancela helps bridge that gap much better than Joseph, Dempsey, and especially Howey. I think Dempsey could certainly grow into the role, but based on tonights performance he has a ways to go.

10. crash2772

crash2772 New Member

Mar 18, 2001
    I was thinking this too... in the 3 "Event" games we've had this year (today, and 2 Freddy games) the Revs have scored all of 0 goals. :mad:

11. revsfan21

revsfan21 New Member

May 20, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Ouch.

I don't understand (when he is fit) why Joe Franchino isn't starting leftback? I know he isn't very popular on the boards, but i would pick him over Marshall any day. Marshall made about 2 good touches, but the rest was terrible. It seemed every time he got the ball in the first half he blasted it out of bounds.

I also don't understand why Felix was subbed in. He is way to short to head in any long crosses by Richie Baker.

Still 6 more games to come back.

12. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Franchino - torn oblique

and that's right, 6 more games left. still time.

But i must say if there is a low point of the season, this game has to be it. Seriously, how do you lose to an Earthquakes team that doesn't have Derosario, Donovan, Ching, and Onstad!!!!. Not only did they lose, but they lost with a pretty damn good team on the field. The defense is the best defense on paper we have seen in awhile, Ralston finally got to his normal position, this was the lineup we've been looking for. HOW THE HELL DO YOU LOSE THIS ONE?!?!?! I usually don't get mad after a loss but this one was just unexcusable.

13. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It was pretty bad, I think most of us were (and to some degree are) too tired to whine as much as we might at the game.

BTW, I just wanted to comment that the no-readmittance policy is thoughtless and poorly designed, as well as being arbitrary and stupid.

After the nats game I went down and thought about buying a ticket to the next revs home game, but the ticket windows inside the gates were closed, and you can't go out, or you can't get back in.

After the revs game, I no longer really wanted a ticket to the next home game (but I'll probably go anyway), but I went into the pro shop to get a shirt for my sister (successfully) and headed back to the stadium side doors in the pro shop, and wasn't allowed to pass through.

When I tried to get back in the main gate, explaining that I'd like to get the shirt that I just bought in the pro shop autographed, but the guy in the pro shop wouldn't let me go through the stadium doors, I was denied.

That was kind of arbitrary, IMHO, and annoyed me a lot.

The nats game was great though, probably the best I've been to. Best performance by the nats since the world cup for sure.

14. pwykes

pwykes Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Auburn, MA
    I agree Marshall should not be starting. The second half had some excitement and some bad luck but the Revs were very flat the first half and that ended up costing them. Whether they make the playoffs or not, they really don't deserver to be there after playing this poor for 80% of the season.

15. verybdog

verybdog New Member

Jun 29, 2001
    Houyhnhnms
    There's no hope for this team.

16. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Maybe not, but they're still our team. They're kind of like that retarded drunkard crackhead kid that's in some families, you keep hoping that the ************** will get his ******** together, maybe grow up to be president. It doesn't happen much, but Bush proves it's possible.

17. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My advice to you is let your voice be heard. This is the type of stuff that needs to be addressed. Send a email to Craig explaining this problem. I had a problem with security and he solved the problem.

18. FoxBoro 143

FoxBoro 143 Member+

Jan 18, 2004
    MA
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Actually I was getting ready to start it before I read this thread.

He is not a good coach. He does well developing players and all but his system is crap. His system is crap. His system is crap.
    Why cant we ever sustain an attack?

Fire Nicol

19. RevsRule

RevsRule Member+

NE Revs, LAFC
    Jun 9, 1999
    N. Eastern, Mass
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Time to face it, we just plain suck. Five wins is too bad to accept. The Revs are killing professional soccer in New England. How many people would have gone to that game if it weren't for the Nat's playing first? This is SN's team and they stink. Twellman's career is heading South and his market value decreases with every game. Something has to change and since we can't change the team, maybe SN's time is up? He obviously doesn't have the answer and something must be done before the sport dies here.

20. brianzappa

brianzappa Member

Oct 21, 2003
    In a big country
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Jeremy Goodwin again.

21. brianzappa

brianzappa Member

Oct 21, 2003
    In a big country

You're right. This was not a game they should have lost. But it's not the loss that bothers me. I don't care if they lose every game, I just want a team that's going to play like they really want to win for 90 minutes+. That shouldn't be a lot to ask for. If that were the case, wins would follow naturally. Once again, they played like they wanted it for 5 or 10 minutes near the end of the game, inspired by a very unlucky TNT hitting the post again. Maybe if he could hit the post in the first 5 minutes, we would play a game with some kind of urgency. :rolleyes:

22. Stiff Nicol

Stiff Nicol Member

Jun 13, 2004
    SN thinks he does have the answer:

"As I said, when you don't score goals, you don't win games."

On whether he thinks the Revs playoff hopes are fading:

"Absolutely not. If anyone thinks we'll lie down and die they don't know this team. This team wouldn't do that. This team will be putting in the same effort they put in tonight."

If that's the answer, a lot more folks will be falling off the bandwagon than jumping on. On a team that can't score, SN's answer is to bench the team's best offensive midfielder/playmaker and play an out of shape elder defender instead.

Too bad Todd Smith is no longer with us to pull the trigger, does anybody believe that Craig T has the power (or the balls) to fire SN?

Calling Sunil... damn, busy signal again...??

Hello, Jonathan Kraft? Your soccer business is dying slowly but surely, and the Revs are by far the most boring team in the league, even when they manage to TIE.

DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT ALREADY.

23. JMMUSA8

JMMUSA8 New Member

Nov 3, 2001
    Webster
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    too soon on the Fire Nicol. This team has been crushed by injuries, and some players are having the worst season of their careers (joseph and twellman come to mind). It's his first losing season.

24. terp fan

terp fan New Member

Nov 21, 2000
    For those who think the playoffs are lost haven't been watching DCU, there is still hope in the pitiful East.

25. pwykes

pwykes Member

Apr 18, 1999
    Auburn, MA
    I'm not ready to jump on the 'fire Nicol' band wagon yet but this injury excuse is getting old. It was valid early in the season but not anymore. The team that hasn't been winning recently is not 'crushed by injuries'. That is a just a lame excuse.