9/30 And pigs might fly

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by kpaulson, Sep 30, 2003.

1. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm sure the Rapids fans will believe it when they see it.

...d'oh, is that was the 'pigs might fly' reference is to?

2. beineke

beineke New Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Re: Re: 9/30 And pigs might fly

Seems like Powell is only one of several candidates. After all, other lead-ins are "Time for Mathis to get his act together" and "No more easy marks for the US" (in the Women's World Cup).

I'm pretty sure it's not a Foudy quote, anyway. That would've been, "Pigs might piggy-back."

3. CrewToon

CrewToon Member

Jun 13, 1999
    Greenbrier Farm
    I've seen pigs fly....

...at a bacon-processing plant: frozen pork bellies sliding off a ramp, flying across a room into a vat to be thawed. :D

4. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Love this quote from Petke:

5. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Perhaps that on Powell-- or the fact that Freddy's going to be capped in the Under-20's. ;)

Wasn't it a couple of days ago that Thomas Rongen said (in the Washington Post) that he was not going to give into the temptation to cap him?

Interesting...

[offtopic]
    Actually, in one of those NSR things, I read in the local paper here today, and I'm sure other papers around the workld picked it up, too, that there was a pig who was actually recorded in flight. Can't recall where it was, but I saw it run under the "oddball" heading.
    [/offtopic]

6. Minnman

Minnman Member+

Feb 11, 2000
    Columbus, OH, USA
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    From today's NY Times, this piece

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/09/30/arts/design/30SOLD.html?8hpib

an architectural review of the new Soldier Field (a positive one, for a change) has a link to a slide presentation and audio overview of trends in American stadium design. While the audio doesn't refer to it, the final two slides are of the Home Depot Center. While MLS might have a hard time breaking into the sports pages, it seems that architect review writers (at least at the Times) like the design of the new stadium.

And that is one whacky looking stadium that's going to be built in Arizona.

7. patrickdavila

patrickdavila Member

Jan 13, 1999
    Easton, PA
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  8. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    That stadium in AZ is awesome looking. It looks like some of stadiums in Asia. I love the HDC, but I really think it says something about the state of stadium architecture in this country when it is held out as an example of unapologetically modern design. I mean, it's sweet and all, but it seems pretty tame compared to some of the new stadia going up in Europe and elsewhere.

9. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC

Actually, I tried to organize the articles in descending order of improbability. Mathis and Alecko both have significant mountains to climb, but Powell just might take the cake. On Bergin's site, they've got a quote that Powell has decided he won't play so as not to risk injuries that might place an off-season loan in jeopardy. May well not be true, but the Powell Watch continues...

10. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I wonder what the over/under is on him making the trip to UAE? I would probably say not very good but it'll be interesting to see. Moreso, will he get any minutes on the 8th. That would be an absolutely awesome game to see and in a great environment. People in LA are going to bbe very lucky.