9/3 US vs Mexico US Supporter Info

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by Bigdog, Mar 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Thanks for the info Krypto and DJA. That 2.5-mile walk sounds intriguing...pub crawl anyone??

What's the story with Hineygate?? Is it a pre-game party, place to watch the game?? I'm planning to head over to CCS around 3, I figure the OSU game will be a blowout by then anyway...

2. DJAnimosity

DJAnimosity Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Hineygate is a very large pre/postgame party thrown in the parking lot of the Holiday Inn on Lane Avenue. They have a band, as well as an enormous TV (I'm talking movie screen size) that will show the OSU game. There's always lots of beer and lots of women; it's just a very fun party atmosphere. You also can't get busted for open containers within its confines. But you can't bring your own bottles in, unfortunately. If you don't know exactly where to go, just ask somebody with OSU gear on where "Hineygate" is, and they'll steer you in the right direction.

It's also fun to crash private tailgates--just say something anti-Michigan and most people will be happy to serve you beer after beer. :)

3. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Heh. That pub crawl might be a good idea, as there's a 2 or 3 block stretch of south campus that's currently being developed into an area with bars, sports bars, a movie theater, book store, etc. Bad news, it won't all be finished by September 3rd.

And yeah, Hineygate is everything that was said above.

Also, about 2 1/2 hours before the noon kickoff, the OSU marching band (like no other in the world) will put on a free concert/pep rally at St. John Arena which is just immediately north of Ohio Stadium. They'll run through their entire pregame and halftime material. It's also Alumni Day, which means the Alumni band will be present, and playing. Their members range from recent college graduate to age 70, or older. The concert is free and a good way to get more of the OSU atmosphere. The arena fills up fairly fast, though.

I can practically guarantee that ESPN College GameDay won't be in Columbus this weekend, but it'll still be the atmosphere if there were. Fans will start to arrive around the stadium between 7 and 8 AM, tailgates will be going strong by 9:30, and everything will be jammed by 10:30. Especially on the north side of the stadium, to think of it as several tailgates is wrong. I'd prefer to think of it as one huge tailgate, as your tailgate ends, and the next one begins right there. Thousands of flags are flying, cars are playing OSU songs, or they have the pregame show on the radio. People come in with their satellite dishes and set up TV's. Even though it's Miami, a relatively small opponent by OSU standards, the atmosphere will be huge.

4. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Sounds like a blast. I'd been planning to get there aroudn 10 am, I might have to show up even earlier than that.

Sorry to ask so many stupid touristy questions, but any idea what kind of gameday traffic I'm going to hit coming down from Cleveland??

5. Hamburgler03

Hamburgler03 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 31, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    My guess is that you won't have horrible traffic coming down from Cleveland (that is....any more horrible than usual) until you hit campus area. The earlier you can get down there, the better. At some point in the gameday, they start turning people away from the stadium area.

I'll echo some of the other comments from above: Hineygate and The Varsity Club are two great places to get into the game spirit but avoid taking beer outside the ropes. The cops are just looking for people to do that and then slap them with a ticket.

Going to watch the band rehearse is another great gameday tradition particularly with the alumni band.

6. TheMutts

TheMutts New Member

May 19, 2002
    Pittsburgh
    does anyone have that picture of the USA vs Mexico game in 2000 in columbus with the North end holding up those rolls so it looks the the American flag.

im making a little flyer to get some friends intereted....

7. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    I just cancelled a reservation at the German Village for anyone that is interested. I had two for the weekend at different places.

8. Bigdog

Bigdog New Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Gone Fishin'
    If anyone can find them Magpie can : )

9. The Magpie

The Magpie Member

Nov 19, 1998
    Cambridge, MA
    Let me see if I can dig one up... I might have one at home.

10. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    What? No Buffalo Soldier at the GVI?

11. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Yeah, chose a more downtown location.

12. ClevelandFC

ClevelandFC Member

Aug 10, 2004
    Has anyone that faxed in their order actually had their CC billed yet?

13. Atouk

Atouk BigSoccer Supporter

DC United
    Apr 16, 2001
    Arlington, VA
    Club:
    Queens Park Rangers FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  14. Bigdog

Bigdog New Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Gone Fishin'
    all our charges were billed today.
    FYI

Please leave USSF in peace, they aare swamped!!!
    THX-Bd

15. Bigdog

Bigdog New Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Gone Fishin'
    Guys, I am sending Terese at USSF a nice $50 arrangement of flowers for all her hard work on ticket orders (hear there swamped) for us, if anyone would like to pitch in $5 you can paypal us at this email address.
    big_dog@fastmail.fm
    Warm Regards, see you all soon -Jim

16. ACGreen

ACGreen Member

May 12, 2004
    São Paulo, Brasil
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Any preilimenary #s on the SA / C-bus Tix sales thus far?

17. peledre

peledre Member

Mar 25, 2001
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like a bunch.

18. Bigdog

Bigdog New Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Gone Fishin'
    Closing in on 1000 tix, with mail orders just starting to trickle in.

I just won a couple friendly bets on that note : )

19. ACGreen

ACGreen Member

May 12, 2004
    São Paulo, Brasil
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    So all of these posters and ALL of the C-bus fans have bought ONLY 1/25th of the tix in the first 2 weeks of avialability? That's not too impressive. How many C-bus Season Tix holders are there? Did they buy less than 1 ticket a piece on average? If so, that is some pretty weak sauce.

20. DJAnimosity

DJAnimosity Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    You're confused...this is the Sam's Army presale only.

21. REVS FAN 1

REVS FAN 1 Member

Jul 2, 2004
    Weymouth, MA
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Confused doesn't even scratch the surface!!! :p

22. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    One thousand already, awesome :)

23. alliu23

alliu23 I'm a Yank til I Die

Jul 28, 2004
    Williamsport, PA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    waiting for the CC confirmation to ease my tension :D

24. dfb547490

dfb547490 New Member

Feb 9, 2000
    The Heights
    Great news!!

Got a call today from the USSF that my order for the Trinidad game didn't go through because I accidentally wrote down my old debit card number (just got a new one this month)...called them back to give them the right one, and more importantly that means the USSF charge on my bank account is definitely for the Mexico game, see you there boys and girls!!

25. ACGreen

ACGreen Member

May 12, 2004
    São Paulo, Brasil
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Perhaps the confusion was from the phrasing of the original question of how many SA AND C-Bus tickets had been sold. The reply was 1000 so far. Since the C-bus Crew had already held there pre-sale, 1000 seemed low.

This IS good news.