9/28/03 - 27.6% of America Hates MLS

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by mpruitt, Sep 28, 2003.

1. dawgpound2

dawgpound2 Member

Mar 3, 2001
    Los Angeles, CA
    Or "72.4% DON'T hate MLS".

2. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    yeah i was trying to find something more witty to come up with in the title. it was just ment to be a joke, something like "MLS, more popular than Dog Fighting"

3. Goodsport

Goodsport Moderator
    Staff Member

May 18, 1999
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  4. anderson

anderson Member+

Feb 28, 2002
    Club:
    Houston Dynamo
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  5. Rocket

Rocket Member

Aug 29, 1999
    Chicago
    Club:
    Everton FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On the turf problems at the old Soldier Field:
    So if a five-day rule conflict arises between the Fire and Bears come MLS playoff time, does this mean that the Fire may play one or more of their playoff games at Naperville?

6. MarlinS

MarlinS New Member

Apr 20, 2003
    San Antonio
    I can't wait for more people to hate MLS so it starts generating as much money and TV air time as boxing and PGA.

I do find it amazing that 27% of Americans have taken the time to form a bad opinion of MLS when 95% of the people I know couldn't tell you anything about MLS except that there might be a team in San Antonio.

7. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Yeah this has been raised on the Fire board before, that player(s) comments that soccer games were tearing up the feild. Seems awfully silly to me that a bunch of football players are complaining about the soccer team tennant tearing up the feild. I wouldn't imagine that the Fire would have to move a playoff game in order for this silly rule but only underscores the importance of getting the Fire stadium deal done asap.

8. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    Thanks. I swear I checked the Houston paper but thanks for grabbing it. Interesting quote at the end which had been discussed in the Rochester Stadium thread.

"The Dallas Burn's star striker, Jason Kreis, continues rehabilitation on a torn anterior cruciate ligament he incurred on the artificial surface at the Burn's temporary home in Southlake.

"The injury is coming along slowly," said Kreis, who is one of MLS' all-time leading scorers. "It is extremely tedious at this time. It has been a long and arduous process."

Kreis believes the artificial surface is to blame.

"It was 100 percent the turf's fault," Kreis said. "I was 20 seconds into the game, planted on my left foot, and it didn't slide out like it would on natural grass."

9. chayes

chayes New Member

Feb 29, 2000
    Raleigh, NC
    I wonder if most of the respondents didn't just say "soccer" and the researchers extrapolated it to be MLS.

I also wonder what the other side of that question is, I heard a news report about the same survey asking about fans' favorite sports, and the NFL was clearly #1, but I would like to know where MLS ranked.

10. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think many people (including myself) are of the opinion that they'd rather be hated by a small segment of the population than ignored by the great majority of it....
    As i've heard in some Spanish love ballads (pardon the reference to them) : Hatred hurts less than indifference....

11. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Lies, damned lies, and statistics

1000 people is a fairly crap survey. I bet they had a list of things to choose from--how else would people come up with Bullfighting? So, people saw/heard soccer on the list and said "yeah, I hate that." Hate is a pretty strong word, though. I mean, I dislike golf, but I wouldn't say I hate it...

Wish I could read this one:
    Miscasting W.U.S.A.'s Target Audience - NY Times

12. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    the login for the NY Times is

Username: bigsoccer2
    password: bigsoccer

it's a very good article. very on point with some relative 'expert' oppinion as to a lot of the assumptions that have been made in the discussions here in regards to the league.

13. Brownswan

Brownswan New Member

Jun 30, 1999
    Port St. Lucie, FL
    27% of Americans suffer from erectile dysfunction.

On the other hand (no pun intended) 50% of them are women.

Also, another 30% were either pre-pubescent or geriatric.

Of the remaining 20%, 13% were too fat to see their shoes, let alone an erection.

At 7% studies show that we are a stiffer bunch than the French, at 11%. And that's what counts.

:)

14. okcomputer

okcomputer Member

Jun 25, 2003
    dc
    I think this survey probably just listed all these sports and people had to list their 5 most hated and even though probably 95% had never seen an MLS game, people probably just saw something with soccer and said oh yeah I hate that boring sport i'll check that one off. I saw Nascar is right next to MLS, wouldn't it be great if we eventually got to that level. Its better to be hated than to be totally off the radar like a track and field or volleyball.

15. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    from the Adu article. This seems like an odd thing to put in a report from wire services.

that's awfully speculative. Seems odd to phrase it that way too. I wonder how that sneaked in there?

16. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    from: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A11069-2003Sep27.html

I wonder who put the pressure on Thomas...Nike? US Soccer? Psycho BS readers?

17. boffo

boffo Member

Aug 6, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Re: Lies, damned lies, and statistics

The number surveyed isn't an issue, but how it was conducted might be. This is actually a fairly standard sample for surveys these days, and gives you a reasonably small margin of error (about plus/minus 3 percent). But that's only valid if it's an unbiased sample and there aren't problems with the questions themselves. That's where your other critique is much more relevant:

Precisely. And the fault is not just with the people who conducted the survey but also with those who report the results, like the Chicago Sun-Times here. What was the actual question wording? What was the complete list of choices given to respondents? What other questions were also asked which might affect responses to this question? If they were open-ended, how did they translate those into the list that was reported (eg, if someone says they hate "soccer", would that count against both MLS and WUSA)? How strong are the conclusions we can draw from the wording used?

Really, and this is true for most public opinion surveys, sometimes the problem is with the survey and sometimes it is with the distorted or incomplete way it is reported by the media. This time it appears to be both.

18. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think we can all gather from this that two-thirds of all statistics are meaningless. ;)

Seriously, I wouldn't take a survey from a sample size of only 1,000 people to be truly scientific. Was the writer representing that survey to be a so-called "national" results poll? If I remember anything from my college statistics class, foggy memory and all, even if that's a local polling, 1,000 respondents doesn't mean that the results are cut and dried.

Frankly, that looks like one of those quick articles the writer put together to fill space and meet a deadline.

19. Red Card

Red Card Member+

Mar 3, 1999
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Proof of the survey's lack of sports knowledge: no hockey on the list, while dog fighting is.

Being hated/disliked by 27% is better than not being on the list at all.

20. babytiger2001

babytiger2001 New Member

Dec 29, 2000
    Melbourne
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Kind of like that old PT Barnum-ism... "It's only bad publicity if they spell your name wrong," isn't it? ;)

21. Northside Rovers

Jan 28, 2000
    Austin TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    True. Good story.

Good quotes:

Remember that in Dallas HSG.

And

22. 352gialloblu

352gialloblu New Member

Jun 16, 2003
    England
    Club:
    Chicago Fire
    Nat'l Team:
    England
    Thanks, that was a good article. I figured WUSA had made a mistake targeting young girls as their key spectators, but this article brings up other, more complex points. However, one thing remains, unfortunately:

23. mpruitt

mpruitt Member

Feb 11, 2002
    E. Somerville
    Club:
    New England Revolution
    I think that a lot of Revs fans are probably whistling the same tune, based on their recent marketing strategies and by looking at the crowds at Gillette. Their stadium location is a problem, and they have gotten away from the 'Get your Kicks' kind of push recently but their advertisements are still very much aimed at the youngins.