9/24 Reyna - City vs Lokeren - UEFA Cup(R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by dcc134, Sep 24, 2003.

1. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Well the truth is ...Reyna played a good first half and mediocre second half at least for my taste. But i was never to high on him this last few years. I belive Reyna should take more of a leadership role, take on players on dribble, i would like to see him get more involved. He has the skills but its pissing me off when i see his aimless back passing and rarely ever takes a chance himself. He had one good shot and that made me proud. I wish he would do that a lot more. His passing skils and vision are excellent. His crosses were to short a few times,i am sure he was getting tired towards the end, he is not 22 anymore, soon to be in MLS i say.
    It was really nice to see him, he had a good game, BUT i just wish he would change his game slightly and take people on take more chances himself. Claudio Reyna had and still has potential to be a huge soccer star but because of the reasons i mentioned he never achived that status and its just to bad.

2. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  3. art

art Member

Jul 2, 2000
    Portland OR
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Lol. He's done fine to me.

4. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
  5. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Uh, SF, wanna give me the over under that MLS idea, 'cause I missed the office pool this week...

There are a couple of very important reasons that Reyna is not considered a soccer star.

1) His hair. Very un-soccer-star. No wonder he can't score off a set-piece.

2) His wife. Marrying a good soccer player rather than, say, a Dixie Chick, proves his lack of A-mid creativity.

3) Substance abuse. Not nearly enough for a true CDM.

4) Battles with coaches. CR is clearly to maliable and whimpy to be a great defender. He almost never calls for his coach to be fired, refuses to show up for camp or "recuperates" from injury on a beach in Mallorca.

These and other problems with his game keep him from the pan*#*#*#*#*# of soccer greats. Sure, he's worn the captain's armband for the US, Wolfs, Gers, he's scored against Parma in the CL, won hardware in the SPL, been named to the WC XI, commanded the highest US transfer fee, but does he have a cool pair of glasses? NO!

I rest my case. A league, baby. Team Calgary needs you!

6. uniteo

uniteo Member+

Sep 2, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Why do I come here?

7. odg78

odg78 Member

Feb 14, 2001
    North Carolina

Because it's more amusing than anything seen on Jackass?

8. McGinty

McGinty Member

SKC/STL
    Aug 29, 2001
    Club:
    Sporting Kansas City
    I totally disagree with the "he couldn't afford to lose" part. Reyna has never relied on physical traits during his career so he won't be as affected by age as other players. Reyna's strengths are his intelligence, vision, passing, and ability to control the middle of the field.

9. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I can get 80% of MLS games for the season for 40 bucks. That'll buy me two EPL games if I'm lucky. Plus the shootout occassionally includes Jack Edwards, and you can't put a dollar value on that. :)

And the EPL is the best I can do for Euro leagues. Spain or Italy and I'm SOL.

10. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know that,but there is a minimal level of athletic prowess required for total impact in the English game no matter how good your skills are(See "Le Tissier,Matthew").

11. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    That's more or less how I saw it. He played a great first half and a so-so second, probably because of his fitness level. Overall, it is a good performance. As for MOTM, I will give it to Wright-Phillips. His insertion in the second half stirred MC out of their stupor. I would argue that he made the greatest impact on the match (as far as MC is concerned).

12. jclampit

jclampit Member

Apr 12, 2002
    That's actually the complaint some ManCity fans have about Bosvelt. Nice skill set. Lovely player. Able to dominate in the Dutch League, but can't keep up with the more physical, fast paced EPL...at least not for 90 minutes.

Claudio did seem to wear down too. But, personally, he seems quick enough to me. I think he's just not fully match fit yet and am giving him some more time before judging him to have lost a step due to age.

13. The Green One

The Green One New Member

Sep 15, 2003
    Manchester
    I was there and thought Claudio deserved his MOTM award. HE put himself about well and played the ball well too. People say he was slow at distributing it, but I feel he jujst held the game up well to allow Tiatto and Sun to get forward also. SWP was good when he came on, and should start tomorrow. Bosvelt needs time to adjust thats all, as he has only played 4 premiership games for us, and has played for all of his career in holland. Give him time I say (although I prefer BArton)

The line up tomorrow should be: Weaver (Seaman is shït), Sommeil, Distin, Tarnat, Sun, McManaman, SWP, Barton, Reyna, Wanchope, Anelka.

Keegan won't drop seaman (unfortunately), and is likely to not play Reyna, but instead Sinclair on the left. That will be ok, as we are strong in midfield, and when someone is out of the team, we can always replace them with someone equally as good. According to Sky Sports, Kev may put Reyna in RB and have a midfield of SWP, Macca, Sinclair, Barton/Bosvelt, or drop Sinclair, play macca on the left and have the two Bs in the centre.

~ The Green ;)ne