9/24 Reyna - City vs Lokeren - UEFA Cup(R)

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by dcc134, Sep 24, 2003.

1. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland
    This "Star Kick" commercial on FSW is exhibit A in the case for a revamped youth development system in the USA. This commercial is so wrong, on so many levels.

So, what does City need to advance in the away leg? Obviously a win or a draw and they're through, but what if they lose -- are away goals the tie-breaker?

2. Kobranzilla

Kobranzilla Member

Sep 6, 2001
    NY F'in City
    Club:
    FC Barcelona
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Current MOTM voting at City site:

Nicolas Anelka 23%
    Claudio Reyna 14%
    Eyal Berkovic 11%
    David Seaman 10%
    Jihai Sun 9%
    Steve McManaman ?%
    Antoine Sibierski 6%
    Robbie Fowler 5%
    Shaun Wright-Phillips 5%
    Paul Bosvelt 4%
    Danny Tiatto 1%
    Nicky Weaver 1%
    Trevor Sinclair 1%
    Joey Barton 1%
    Stephen Jordan 1%

3. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    yes.

4. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought the officiating was ridiculously one-sided the last half-hour in favor of Man City. Is this some sort of thing refs do when they know a team is going to get screwed in the away leg?

5. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm glad Reyna went 90 and I was wrong. :)

The key move in retrospect was Wright-Phillips for Bosvelt.Citeh picked up big after that.

6. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003
    Hey, voros, I thought you were the poor lad who couldn't see European matches! :)

7. wva97

wva97 Member

Jun 8, 2002
    east coast/west coas
    Reyna's play

Unlike some observers, I thought Reyna's play was mediocre. He tracked back well for the defense and linked the two ends well, but seemed to be a bit lazy in showing and a bit slow in distribution. Also, his service looked average at best. And as always, I didn't see much creativity from him. Understood that he's not had many matches with Citeh, but I wasn't as pleased as I'd hoped to be. He even looked frustrated at times. I wonder what Keegan thinks...

8. str8ruckus

str8ruckus New Member

Sep 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Az US
    Re: Reyna's play

"I'd stick my foot in an oven for a marshmallow sandwich. Reyna? Eh?"

9. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  10. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Re: Reyna's play

When 95% of people say one thing and you say another, there is a very good chance you are wrong. I give you credit for not having a herd mentality and not afraid of being different. However, I will say this.

Reyna's service is average, so there is at least 5 Man City players on the pitch who provided better service? How about naming them right here? You don't see much creativity from him, that means there are 9 other Man City players who showed more creativity? Name them right here.

Good or bad is all relative.

I agree Reyna's crosses and corners absolutely SUCKED because they were no well near as good as Beckham's. His creativity and vision were bad because they weren't in Zidane's level. His work rate is low, because Pavel Nedved outwork him by a mile. Therefore he is poor.

I don't blame you if it doesn't make sense. The concept is far too advanced for some people.

11. Scotty

Scotty Member+

Dec 15, 1999
    Toscana
  12. kennytt

kennytt Member+

LA teams
    United States
    May 26, 2001
    Westminster, OC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  13. klattamaniac

klattamaniac Member

Dec 4, 2000
    Club:
    Philadelphia Union
    How could The Sun name Reyna MOTM and not mention him once in the match report?

14. voros

voros Member

Jun 7, 2002
    Parts Unknown
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I said I couldn't see any European match I wanted. I can see whatever FSW decides to show.

15. Fah Que

Fah Que Member

Sep 29, 2000
    LA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    I am not following you. The sun cannot name Reyna MOTM since his name wasn't mentioned in the report because?

What game were you watching?

16. Parmigiano

Parmigiano Member

Jun 20, 2003
    Well, I'm just teasing. But FSW does show a hell of a lot more EPL and Bundesliga than American TV shows MLS.

17. diablodelsol

diablodelsol Member+

Jan 10, 2001
    New Jersey
    Wish I hadn't started reading this thread 10 minutes ago. FSW is showing the replay right now.

18. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Because as any real USMNT fan knows, Reyna is a terrible soccer player, but he gives a great hummer and all the bad-toothed, hound-dog faced Brit journos are so happy to get a little action they just hand him MOTM figuring no one will notice. Same thing happened every couple of weeks in Glasgow. Just ignore it.

19. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    San Diego
    Good stuff freisland :D

If that wasnt so damn long, I'd make it my sig.

20. Noonan

Noonan New Member

Dec 16, 2001
    Colorado
    Pretty much sums up CR's career, doesn't it?

21. onefineesq

onefineesq Member+

Sep 16, 2003
    Laurel, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    well, i taped it from this morning and finished watching it ............. Claudio was definitely the most consistent player for City during that game.

22. wva97

wva97 Member

Jun 8, 2002
    east coast/west coas
    Re: Re: Reyna's play

Fah Que, you like to argue for argument's sake, don't you? Fah Que, instead of taking inarticulate jabs at my intelligence, review what I wrote as a subjective analysis. Fah Que, I didn't say Reyna did a poor job, just that I had hoped for more. Fah Que, either add something constructive to the conversation or stop trolling, Fah Que.

23. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    San Diego
    Re: Re: Re: Reyna's play

who the hell are you again?

Also...why don't you try answering his questions...you've been called out.

24. russ

russ Member+

Feb 26, 1999
    Canton,NY
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm not sure if I'm going to trust a rating that gave Robbie Fowler a 7 in that game.I would have gone Sibierski for MOTM.

I'm not bashing Claudio.Clearly Keegan likes him.I worry that is not fully fit,and worry more that he is fit,and has lost speed and quickness that he couldn't afford to lose.