9/24 Onyewu- La Louviere vs Benfica, UEFA Cup [R]

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by Selecao2002, Sep 24, 2003.

1. jonny

jonny New Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Mexico
    "One of the stars of the game was Onyewo. Strong in defense , tactically very good and someone who guides his teammates. Can you tell a little more on him?"

This is what I got from a Buddy , in Belgium. I did not watch the game , because I don't have sic..I only have the Portuguese channel RTP 1.

2. So did he play centrally or on the wings?

3. jonny

jonny New Member

Sep 17, 2002
    Mexico
    central defender

4. afgrijselijkheid

Dec 29, 2002
    mokum
    Club:
    AFC Ajax
    gibbs has been playing in the midfield due to injuries, but he expects to slide back when the squad is fit

5. juventino3

juventino3 Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Gibbs' weak point is his skills, so the last place you want to put him is on the left. Did you watch any of the Confederations Cup games? He was one of the worst left backs in recent memory against Brazil. He is an excellent centerback, but for now he is a horrible left back.

6. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    On what do you base this???

When we saw Gibbs on FSW with St. Pauli, he was a pure marking back, rarely went forward. With the Nats, he plays centrally.

I really want to know where you got this, b/c it's complety counter to everything I know about him.

7. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    (Gibbs...worst in memory) Some context is needed here. The kid's starting debut for the Nats comes against Brazil on foreign soil. Think about that for a minute.

Secondly, the entire team looked awful (offensively) that 1st 20 minutes, and lost the ball numerous times. Granted, Gibbs had some rookie-ball faux pas, but clearly some had to do with nervousness (and speed of game, which Brazilians forced, and which all US Nats had trouble with early)..but all the Nats looked bad offensively, and veteran Berthalter made a collosal blunder....at least Gibbs mistakes were the "won't hurt you immediately, but silly turnover" variety

Finally, given the entire run of games, I'd say Gibbs still merits a look out left, but think he is more a candidate for middle now- given his good performance there...

Offensively, Gibbs more like Eddie Pope...strong with header in box for set pieces, and can occasionally beat a guy (better skills than one would think), but he is more the stay-at-home type (and should be) as superdave alluded..

I'd like to see Gooch called up soon too...Gibbs, if he can't get out of current club prediction within next year, will become a less likely option anywhere....Boca is a given now, but 2nd slot wide-open given Pope's age/injury problems, and it is so critical a position, Nats need a Gibbs or Gooch or someone getting developed (meaning lots of Nat games) between now and serious time

8. juventino3

juventino3 Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Blah! Blah! First of all I'm a fan of Gibbs. He has a tremendous upside. He is NOT a good left back though. The comparison to Eddie Pope is a good one. In Arena's sytem, you have to have some ball skill and be a good passer to be effective at left back. Thats why guys like Dunivant and Gbandi will get looks at that position.

9. CrazyDCFan

CrazyDCFan Member

Mar 31, 2002
    Henan, China
    the orange cone....ahhh the memories

10. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Gibbs playing in midfield this year, and lower league...I'd be very suprised if he isn't a much more confident offensive player, and better offensively on ball (a few more moves) if he stays entire year..

Problem is, it may come at expense of attrition of his overall game...

One year (or less) than out is necessary...

11. juventino3

juventino3 Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    He definitely needs to get away from St. Pauli. Its hard to believe that MLS is not willing to pay such a paltry transfer fee for a young, talented American defender. I think St. Pauli has been asking for around $350,000. Hopefully a Bundesliga side will pick him up.

12. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Yeah, whatever. $350,000 is serious money for MLS. What kind of an example does it set, MLS paying to sign up a player who rejected the league a couple of years ago? Plus, do you think Cory would want to pay for the kind of contract that MLS would be willing to pay? Cory got himself into this mess, he either has to get himself out of it or wait till the end of the year and find himself another team. I don't think spending a year in division three is as destructive to a player's career as a lot of people are making it out to be.

13. freisland

freisland Member+

Jan 31, 2001
    Not that either Heydude or Lewis are my favorite players, but both spent a full year (more in dudskies case) playing competition that was not much better than B3. Now, at least Frankie got to practice with the big boys, but a year in wilderness, assuming it's not completely devoid of some sort of meaningful growth - emergence as a team leader, for instance, or developing a bit of confidence that being a better player in a lesser league can give you - is a year that doesn't have to be a complete waste.

14. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    My, my....we may need Gooch or Gibbs sooner then we thought.....Pope pulled a major "Berthalter" tonight in the loss.....

15. Blong

Blong Member+

Oct 29, 2002
    Midwest, the real one.
    That was Addo that gave the ball away on the Cerritos goal.

16. jri

jri Red Card

Sep 28, 2000
    boca
    Sorry Eddie...at a bad angle (was working on computer), and at a 1AM repeat, one is bound to make a mistake...

May you never pull a Greggy..

17. juventino3

juventino3 Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Thats rubbish! Cory had an excellent opportunity to play in the Bundesliga for a team that was willing to start him. Any young American player who doesn't accept an offer like that is an idiot and shows no ambition. Cory's salary cannot be much bigger then what the MLS max is. His addition to any MLS team would be huge. Buying Gibbs would be a sound investment by MLS. They would get a young American national team player, who they could sell off in a few years for a larger fee.

18. m vann

m vann Moderator
    Staff Member

Colorado Rapids, Celtic FC, & Louisville City
    Sep 10, 2002
    Denver, CO
    Club:
    Celtic FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I see both sides to the Gibbs situation. At the time, signing w/St. Pauli was absolutely the right thing to do based on the fact his was going to get Bundesliga experience, whether he was ready for it or not. However, I do think he was at some degree of fault by not fighting St. Pauli for his release. I don't know if St. Pauli wouldn't budge or if his agent lacks some negociation skills. I hope that he's on top of his game throughout the first half of the season and someone comes knocking on his door. If he doesn't i really think he's put himself in a hole for making the '06 squad, for the simple reason that if i was B.A. I'd perfer all of my Euro based players to be playing in the highest division in their perspective countries for at least 2 seasons.

19. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    Why is it than, even more is the norm of BS, threads about Oguchi invariably end up being about things other than Oguchi.

A 21-year old American defender started in the UEFA Cup! How cool is that? The fact that he's 6-4 and strong, powerful and fast is even better.

Let's try and get this back on topic about Gooch. He's earned that.

20. juventino3

juventino3 Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    I'm very happy for Gooch. The guy has been a beast since his days with Donovan, Beasley, and Convey on the U-17s. Hopefully this experience will better him as a player and open up doors for him to the national team. We could certainly use his rare combination of size and skill either at right back or in the middle of our defense.

21. harttbeat

harttbeat Member

Dec 29, 1998
    New York
    Question, is gooch's move to la louviere permanent stay or one year loan deal?
    [​IMG]
    Clearly the biggest in the team.

22. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    Can someone point out who is Gooch in this picture? Thanks.

23. ThreeApples

ThreeApples Member+

Jul 28, 1999
    Smurf Village
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. NYC ugly

NYC ugly Member

Aug 7, 2000
    Very near my computer
    I think they picked the shortest guys on the team to stand up in the picture. :D

25. ChrisE

ChrisE Member

Jul 1, 2002
    Brooklyn
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    American Samoa
    Seriously. Look at bottom-right. Dude's a monster.