9/20 -- Howard: Man Utd v Arsenal {R.}

Discussion in 'Yanks Abroad' started by babytiger2001, Sep 21, 2003.

1. SuperElf

SuperElf Member

Jul 16, 1999
    Dallas, TX
    Club:
    FC Dallas
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Beat me to it. Riley isn't even doing the match today.

2. NoSix

NoSix Member+

Feb 18, 2002
    Phoenix
    Missed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Off the crossbar!!!!!!!!!

3. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    :D

(is there anyway to make that like 10x bigger??)

4. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I know what I am doing Wednesday night.

5. dark knight

dark knight Super Moderator
    Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Arsenal players going after Ruud -- lots of pushing and bumping. Lip readers can see "*#*#*#*#*#" among other things being said. Unbelievable.

Tim may have had one save? Don't really remember him having to do much of anything.

6. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    What a super bush league move by Keown.

Beyond personal disappointment, that was just *#*#*#*#*#*#.

7. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Please describe.

8. BuffloSoldier

BuffloSoldier BigSoccer Supporter

Jan 31, 2000
    Northern NJ
    Full time whistle goes, and Keown among others get right into RVN's face.

As RVN is trying to get away, pushing and shoving, and both Keown and I believe Parlour landed "blows" (punches, not exactly) on RVN.

9. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Celebrating right in the face of the person who missed a penalty 2 minutes earlier.

Bush league.
    Will likely be repurcussions.

And Aresenal wonder why they have a bad reputation with the refs.

10. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC

Keown took a shot to Ruud's head after the whistle blew. Tried to make it look incidental.

11. CG

CG Member

Jul 25, 2001
    it's time for SAF to find a new PK taker.

12. topcow

topcow New Member

Nov 23, 2000
    New York
  13. dark knight

Staff Member

Dec 15, 1999
    Club:
    Leicester City FC
    Possession was even, goal attempts was 8-6 for ManU and shots on goal was 4-0.

14. soccerfan

soccerfan BigSoccer Supporter

Mar 13, 1999
    New Jersey
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    No saves for Tim, Arsenal had no shots on goal whatsoever, Lehmann definetly the busy man. Something is missing from the Man U side and i'm not sure what that is, maybe Beckham ? or Scholes...i'm just happy for TiHo

15. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Arsenal never threatened this game.

ManU should have done better but they never quite got the good shot in the end.

RVN did not seem to have a good game. Even before the missed penalty he had a few bad touches that set him back or created problems with a shot.

That said, Arsenal need to step up and show some class or they will continue to see cards. This needs to start from the top and Wenger needs to establish some control over his players. Though I'm sure he didn't see anything.

16. Danks81

Danks81 Member

May 18, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Howard should take Man U's PK's.

17. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    I think they miss Scholes more than Beckham.

Ruud also needs to get back on his game. Normally it wouldn't be so vital that a single striker play well but ManU really has nobody else up front. Say what you will about Ronaldo's potential, he's 18, hasn't scored yet, and will not take the pressure off Ruud.

When the transfer market opens up, they need to get at least 1 striker (maybe 2) as Bellion is not the answer anytime soon.

18. Danks81

Danks81 Member

May 18, 2003
    Philadelphia
    Has Bellion played at all?

19. JcUSA

JcUSA New Member

Jul 26, 2003
    Boca Raton, Fl
    Club:
    Manchester United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    how long is keown suspended for that cheap shot?

20. Wahoo

Wahoo New Member

Aug 15, 2001
    Seattle, USA
    Bellion played in mop up time during the Wolverampton game but that may be it.

Since he hasn't made other appearances, but has featured in the reserves, I'm assuming that means he's not up to the challenge of first team play right now.

He also played during the preseason tour and while he played well in one game (Celtic maybe?) he didn't impress terribly.

Comments attributed to him are: fast but marginal talent

21. prk166

prk166 BigSoccer Supporter

Aug 8, 2000
    Med City
    I don't know what the precendence is for things like what happened at the end of the match. I'm assuming some video will come into play. Irregardless of what the FA does the behaviour by Keown, Cole, and Lauren (or was it Toure; sorry, I'm used to their names not faces) was beyond lacking class. I really do not have any respect for them or Viera. And it has nothing to do with the team they are on, just the way they behaved. If a player does that same stuff during the match after scoring a goal, technically he gets a yellow. And surely the FA would fine or suspend him for that. I hope they take that into consideration.

I can understand their frustration but not their reaction. More so, I don't agree with their frustration. Viera attampted to kick a player (RVN) which could be a straight red in itself. Ya, he got fouled in a clumsy way. But so did Ljungberg when Ronaldo took a late crack at him. RC got his just caution and they shook hands. If Viera does nothing, RVN gets his deserved yellow and the game goes on. INstead not only does Viera get his 2nd yellow of the match but he takes a crack at RVN after the failed kick and likely says some silly things to the ref that will likely all go into the match report. Arse needs Viera more than any other player. Henry can put them in it but w/out Viera they struggle.

22. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    It's not too early to discuss precedents, speculate, etc.

Nor is it too early for a poster who lives to make fun of others and rarely comments on the sport (hey, Mike, did you know you can't use your hands in soccer?) to be a jackass.

23. pething101

pething101 Member

Jul 31, 2001
    Smyrna, Ga
    Club:
    West Ham United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
  24. superdave

superdave Member+

Jul 14, 1999
    VB, VA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    As an American, it strikes me as very, very, very strange that most-game press conferences revolve so much around the referee's decision. What the hell difference does it make what Wenger thought about some call or other? Is the referee going to change his mind if Wenger makes a good argument?

Same with this. The FA is gonna decide what they're gonna decide. One of the things I like about Wenger is that he doesn't play that silly game.

It's also weird that people criticize Wenger for not playing the game. And it's not just Tree, it's the vast majority of posters I see here comment on it.

I wish Championship Manager was a real game; I'd answer the questions even better than Arsene. "What difference does it make whether I thought the PK was justified or not?" :)

25. Treetaliano

Treetaliano Member

Jun 29, 2002
    Charlotte, NC
    When the hell did I ever say ANYTHING about Wenger "not playing the game" ??

If anything, I am STOKED about Arsenal's draw. Anytime ManUre doesnt win, my day is much better off.

Lay off the crack pipe Dave. It's bad for you.