9/17 Like a bad Bruce Willis movie

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by kpaulson, Sep 17, 2003.

1. Rickster

Rickster Member

Dec 1, 1998
    No surprises here. The soccer-bashers are out in force, joined by those with a stake in the success of womens' sports, blaming soccer.

2. Len

Len Member+

Club: Dallas Tornado
    Jan 18, 1999
    Everywhere and Nowhere.....I'm the wind, baby.
    Firehouse...

I hope I'm wrong, but I'm beginning to get the feeling the Fire are going to stay at Soldier Field.

3. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    I hope you're wrong too-- but the atmosphere at the old Soldier Field could be great at times.

I think that Wilt's comments about how great the new lease is might just be a negotiation ploy. Let's hope.

4. sachinag

sachinag New Member

Jun 19, 2001
    Saint Louis, MO
    The lease is good, because the stadium's owned by the city, not the Bears. The CPD doesn't have the massive debt load that the NJSEA has, so they didn't need to gouge the Fire. (Plus, it would have been harder to sell the $300 million without the Fire's dates there; see Seattle for precedent.) And anyone who was at Reliant saw what having a narrower stadium footprint with the decks largely above each other instead of staggered backwards does for noise. NSF will rock. But AEG needs a Firehouse for DMB concerts and whatnot for their Concerts West division. Any new Firehouse isn't a soccer decision - it's an AEG one.

5. NotAbbott

NotAbbott Member

Oct 11, 1999
    My Own Little World
    Chicago is, and will continue to be, a VERY hard market for Concerts West to crack, even with their own venue.

Later,
    COZ

6. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Member+

SSC Napoli
    Feb 16, 1999
    Club:
    Montreal Impact
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Firehouse...

According to the reports, that's more or less the correct address.

KPaulson, what's up with Xinhua? You a card carrying member of the CCP?

7. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    Not really the point, is it?

It's in Wilt's interests to make it sound like Soldier Field can be a long-term home for the Fire so it seems to the project communities that the Fire has a real option simply not to build a stadium at all.

Was the stadium always owned by the city or was that part of the redevelopment? I mean, the lease sucked before (no concessions, merchandising, etc).

8. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    Re: Re: Firehouse...

Nah-- it just shows up sometimes when there's an AP story-- I just think it's funny more than anything.

9. Sneever Flion

Sneever Flion New Member

Oct 29, 2002
    Detroit, MI
    "The MLS (men's) league always had issues with money, and it was just getting on its feet," Frongillo said. "So to see them just give up on the women's league like that -- I just don't understand it, when the women's league has brought medals and honor to the U.S."

Yeah, and the men just suck. Frickin' assclown.

10. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sounds like the Rochester stadium project is moving right on schedule. :rolleyes:

Anyone else feel like dashing off knife-weilding emails to some of these soccer bashing buffoons, only to hold back, settle down for a moment, and say, "don't worry, baby steps, day by day, not everyone will be converted" or something to that effect?

11. sjquakesfan

sjquakesfan New Member

Jul 8, 2003
    Re: Re: 9/17 Like a bad Bruce Willis movie

Ms. Frongillo is blaming MLS for not saving the WUSA!?!? Sounds like she has a problem with MLS (or men in general).

12. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    Re: Re: 9/17 Like a bad Bruce Willis movie

Here's an idea: the "them" in the quote refers to WUSA investors, saying that the WUSA investors shouldn't have given up so early because MLS had issues with money now and is only now, after 8 years, just getting on its feet.

13. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Re: Re: Re: 9/17 Like a bad Bruce Willis movie

Yes, after reading the article, I believe you're right.

btw, where did you get that Arena quote? It's an interesting one (and I'm glad you put it in your sig).

14. Scoey

Scoey Member

Oct 1, 1999
    Portland

That's exactly how I read it. Sloppy reporting. It should have read: "The MLS (men's) league always had issues with money, and it was just getting on its feet," Frongillo said. "So to see them (WUSA and/or it's investors) just give up on the women's league like that -- I just don't understand it, when the women's league has brought medals and honor to the U.S."

Read that way, the point is very valid. Why on earth would WUSA's investors think they would be profitable after 3 years, when MLS -- funded by deeper pockets, and with inherently more appeal (because it's a men's sport -- don't flame me, just telling it like it is) -- isn't profitable after 8? I'm beginning to think that WWC '99 hysteria was the worst thing that could have ever happened to Women's soccer.

15. sjquakesfan

sjquakesfan New Member

Jul 8, 2003

You may be right. Taken out of context, Frongillo's statement can be interpreted either way.

16. purojogo

purojogo Member

Sep 23, 2001
    US/Peru home
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    "GROUND-BREAKERS: If all the proper papers are signed by government officials this week, ground-breaking for the new MetroStars stadium in Harrison would take place next August with a 2006 opening date, GM Nick Sakiewicz said."
    Somewhat hopeful news, but darn it, August is far far away.....

17. Knave

Knave Member+

May 25, 1999
    A few more I posted on the B&M board last night ...

Epitaph For a Dream - Mark Starr, Newsweek
    Just like Brandi in '99, WUSA loses its shirt - Tom Knott, Washington Times
    Women's Soccer Timeout – Christian Science Monitor (an editorial, I believe)
    Read Starr's piece. Just read it. The line above in the Washington Times article, I knew I'd read it somewhere but I still cringed. And what are the eds at the CS Monitor smoking! Played their cards right ... :rolleyes: Obviously not.

18. Sandon Mibut

Sandon Mibut Member+

Feb 13, 2001
    At the end of the day, WUSA players, employees, investors and fans need to ask on what the league spent the 100 million large that was supposed to last FIVE years but didn't last two.

Businesses have budgets for a reason and if you don't follow them, bad things usually happen. They went WAY over budget and all involved with the league, save the fans, are responsible.

I don't want to hear any more whining from WUSA players and officials because if they'd spent their money better, odds are they would be playing next year.

19. FlashMan

FlashMan Member

Jan 6, 2000
    'diego
    Club:
    --other--
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Boy, this Harrison deal seems to have snuck up on us.

Keeping my fingers crossed...though I agree with you, next August seems like a long time!

20. dcc134

dcc134 Member+

Liverpool FC
    May 15, 2000
    Hummelstown, PA
    Club:
    Liverpool FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

My sentiments exactly.

21. kpaulson

kpaulson New Member

Jun 16, 2000
    Washington DC
    Re: Re: Re: Re: 9/17 Like a bad Bruce Willis movie

Women keep kicking, rally for extra time - Maryland SunSpot

22. efren95

efren95 Member

Apr 20, 2000
    Republic of Texas
    Mr.Paulson: we also owe you a big "thanks"...