9/1: Barcelona vs. Atletico Madrid [R]

Discussion in 'Barcelona' started by BrianCappellieri, Sep 1, 2002.

1. BrianCappellieri

BrianCappellieri Red Card

Feb 11, 2002
    Match Preview from SoccerAge
    PROBABLE LINEUPS

FC BARCELONA: Valdés; Puyol, De Boer, Navarro; Rochemback, Xavi, Cocu, Mendieta; Luis Enrique, Saviola, Kluivert.

ATLETICO MADRID: Germán Burgos; Otero, Hibic, García Calvo, Sergi; Aguilera, Emerson, Albertini, Luis García; Dani; Fernando Torres.

2. BrianCappellieri

Feb 11, 2002
    FT Barcelona 2-2 Atletico Madrid
    5' Luis Enrique
    45' Jorge Otero
    55' Luis Enrique
    86' Correa

Cautions:
    9' Coloccini
    53' Jose Mari
    69' Otero
    77' Navarro
    78' Puyol
    80' Torres
    89' Reiziger

3. Barca_Bulldog

Barca_Bulldog New Member

Apr 24, 2001
    Did you see the match Brian? What did you think?

There are definitely some positives to take from our performance- we created so many chances WITHOUT havign to rely on Rivaldo.

Saviola looks like this season will be even more impressive than last season. Very skilful and sharp tonight.

Luis Enrique also looked very sharp but he needs to prove consistent this season rather than performing well only one in four games.

I was disappointed with Kluiverts performance, he didn't create many chances at all- nor did he get himself any shooting opportunities.

Gabri was ineffective, Mendieta both combative and efficient.

Xavi and Cocu both did their jobs well.

On British SKY TV they blamed Vicor Valdes for the first Madrid goal, but it wasn't his fault. He had positioned himself for a cross, but the cross was mis-hit and ended up going behind him and into the goal.

4. BrianCappellieri

Feb 11, 2002
    Unfortunately, no. There's no La Liga available here. Last season there were games on PPV but they no longer carry them.

SoccerAge
    *Note: Contains other results

Sporting Life

5. Jay Clark

Jay Clark New Member

May 21, 2001
    Wrigleyville
    Club:
    Arsenal FC
    Bulldog-- you and Mario will have to be our pipeline in the States this year...we're not getting anything! :(

I did see some highlights. The first AM goal looked like a weird fluke. I couldn't quite tell what happened on the second one-
    it looked like they missed the opportunity to clear and someone didn't cover Correa.

They should have nabbed all three points. It's disappointing, but the 'colchoneros' will probably give lots of people fits this campaign.

The Barça website is reporting that the Puyol injury isn't as bad as they feared. Let's hope. With a shaky defense, we can't afford any more injuries. Which reminds me, does anybody know what Andersson's status is? When is he due back?

6. Barca_Bulldog

Barca_Bulldog New Member

Apr 24, 2001
    Well mate, I'm a journalist in the UK so i'll be happy to give you reports :eek:)

good news about Puyol, I don't know about Andersson but I don't think we can rely on him as a regular defender- he won't play enough games.

7. Barca_Bulldog

Barca_Bulldog New Member

Apr 24, 2001
    That was supposed to be a smiley face, not a yawning one!