9/1/02 Matchday IV: Chelsea v. Arsenal (R)

Discussion in 'Chelsea' started by GPK, Aug 29, 2002.

1. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    On top:playing well;deserved lead

Great team performance from the lads out there in that half.
    Lost our way a little bit there in about the 20th minute or so for a little while, but definitely on top now.
    The Arse are all at sea in the rear from our corsses.

Gronkjaer (gasp) is having a great game on the roght and has absolutly skined Cole two or three times.Also unlucy his shot wasn't on target as he would have beat Seaman in the botom corner.

Zenden, Le Saux and even Gudjohnsen are playing a blinder down the left side.

Seaman was caught totally out by the rise of Gudjohnsen for the free kick and stoped watching the path of the ball as he anticipated a flick by Guddy to alter it's path to his right.
    Guddy missed it by a kunt hair and the ball continued on its original path....right into the left hand corner of the net.

The Arse have only looked dangerous once and that was during that little spell and Wiltord just missd a stretch to get to a fine cross.Also made room for himself to get in another shot which was well saved by Cudicini as De Lucas was blocking his vision and he saw it at the last second.He has great late reaction.

Limmy looks very very upset to be on the bench.

Have to watch out for the cards now as we don't need to go down to 10 men.
    This game is there for the taking and if we vcan get another i can see that knocking the life out of the Arse.You could just see it in them that they feel a loss here today.We may come out 3-0 up in the end if we continue the pressure.

Without a doubt they are sorely missing Pires and lundgberg in the middle.
    De Lucas is doing okay for having moved into the middle of the field and on the current form of gronks on the right it looks to be an inspired move by Ranieri.
    Chappie is holding his own on the back line and Gallas is playing like a defencive mid he is so far forward.

All in all a good half for us and a (very) well deserved lead.

2. The Year Was1955

The Year Was1955 New Member

Jul 30, 2002
    ello boys

What happen?

Fell asleep, completely rooted to be honest, mid week games and weekend parties are gonna do me in one day.

Jimmy on the bench? Gronks having a good game?

Still, it wouldn't be a Chelsea v Arsenal game if we didn’t go up by three goals before losing would it?

2nd half.

3. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Vieira sent off !!

A second yellow and goodbye.

4. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
  5. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Melchiot ON LeSaux OFF

Chappie switches to LB and Melchiot slots in at RB

Jimmy coming on momentarily... could be a brilliant change

JFH ON Zola OFF - well done to the little man

6. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    In the end

The Arse playing out of their skin right now.Can't keep that pace up this early in the season.

I' think we'll nick it in the end.

Have faith and KTBFFH.

7. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Stanic ON Zenden OFF

8. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Late corner.... nothing.

Wiltord is lucky not be sent off twice in this match.

9. The Year Was1955

Jul 30, 2002
    Jimbo

Has he done anything positive this half?

10. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Re: Jimbo

Doesn't sound like it...

11. Lowecifer

Lowecifer Member+

Jan 11, 2000
    Baltimore, MD
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    Belgium
    Come on you BLUES! Injury time now...

crap crap crap

1-1

FT

12. The Year Was1955

Jul 30, 2002
    Stupid

Use of the ball in offensive areas during the last 2 minutes, players all about but we just settled for long shots that never looked like going in.

13. The Year Was1955

Jul 30, 2002
    Jimmy and Guddy

Haven’t scored in a very long time, 4 games this season, and how many at the end of last season did they go without scoring?

Quite worrying that, and neither did anything in that 2nd half that looked like troubling Arse.

Especially Jimbo, who hardly got a touch, and when he did it came to nothing pretty quickly.

14. Clan

Clan Member

Apr 23, 2002
    2 more points lost

Well to be honest if i was offered this result at the start of the game against perhaps one of the strongest squads in all of Europe, never mind the premiership,i would have gladly taken it.

After watching the game though i must say we really threw away two valuable points.
    We played dour football in the second half yet again.
    Defence found lacking once again as a man runs into the six yard box unmarked and nods in a simple goal.Poor.

We never found our way in the second half.To be honest we never looked like losing the game, but this was largely due to the fact that the arse never seemed to show the fire to want to win it.

Nothing hapening up the front yet again and that has simply got to change soon.
    Not happy with this at all.

15. paulocesar

paulocesar Member

Oct 4, 2000
    Definately 2 points lost rather than a point gained. Wonder why Cole wasn't starting or put in (rather than start with a still off form Eidur)...was he injured or something???

Well, at least I can be comforted that the Arse have some hideous looking uniforms (thank you Nike once again)...and what the hell was Seamen wearing!?!?!?

16. BrianCappellieri

BrianCappellieri Red Card

Feb 11, 2002
    BBC
    Ananova
    Sporting Life
    SoccerNet

17. mst77

mst77 New Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Washington
    Typical crap performance in my eyes

Random thoughts:

Niether goal was class, sloppy play from both sides. We give up a one goal, one man advantage at home, that simply cannot be allowed to happen even against the Champions. This was our best chance in years to knock off our biggest bogey team, they were without Henry, Lungberg and Pires, and Vieira was not 100%. And we still clould not beat them.

Vieira's first card was a terrible decision, he should have got a yellow for the second but he would not have been sent off. Wiltord on the other hand got away with pushing Gronkjaer to the ground directly in front of the ref and he booked both players. Terrible refereeing today, absolutely shocking. Chepa bookings on our side for Le Saux, De Lucas and Gronks - all bad decisions. There was a point where we were attacking three on three just outside the box and the ref didn't play possession and ruined our attack. D'Urso was just awful, I can't emphasize it enough.

Our back line was solid aside from the goal. Even Chappie looked alright, probably bc he was dealing with a decrepid Kanu instead of Henry.

De lucas was almost invisible the entire match. Lampard did well again, ran his ass off against Vieira and Silva. He should be playing for the national team next time. Gronks and Zenden were OK, some great moves some poor. Zola and Eidur were solid up front. Jimmy was awful when he came on. I think we need to sacrifice a match and play Eidur and Jimmy together no matter how awful they look. Both need to regain their first touch and play off each other, the chemistry is just not there bc of lack of time together I think. Stanic is Stanic, no comment from me.

We may have thought we threw away points vs Man Utd and Shamton, but those were nothing compared to today. If we want a top 4 finish we have to put away matches like today.

18. BridgeMonkee

BridgeMonkee BigSoccer Supporter

Jul 25, 2002
    Club:
    Chelsea FC
    Well

Well...its not awful, its not the end of the world. It was a result, BUT we should have had all 3 points really. The midfield ran out of creativity and energy around 55-60 mins mark and the strikers didn't get much supply after that point.

Eidur and Jimmy will get their goals soon. I still feel that it is the middle where we lost the battle. We defended reasonably well, albeit an Arse team without Henry and Ljunberg. Zenden was finnished after the first half, not totally match fit, and we missed his creative edge. De Lucas looked ok, but not great and he was out of steam by the 75 mins mark. Lampard was the powerhouse for the entire game, but How long can he keep that up? Week in week out - the lad is going to need a rest by mid season. Gronks had the running to go the full 90 mins, all he needs now is the "touch" to go with it.
    We needed to bring on some mids to get the midfield fired up again (increase the supply to the strikers) and all we had was Stanic. They had 10 men and we should have over run the middle and we didn't.

19. mst77

mst77 New Member

Jul 10, 2002
    Washington
    Zenden

I don't understand how this guy can't last 90 min. He had all summer off and was recovered enough to play some at the end of last season. Maybe he's soft or still recovering from another inhury, who knows? Whatever the case is, Ranieri better work his ass into shape because it is a major waste to have to use a sub for him every single match. Ditto Petit.

20. The Year Was1955

Jul 30, 2002
    The problem is it doesn’t seem to be only Zenden, De Lucas and Zola are another two who seem to tire badly during the second half. As well as Petit of course.

And with such little midfield back up we tend to be over run.