9,000 at the game???

Discussion in 'USA Men: Fans & Travel' started by CbR, Nov 18, 2004.

1. CbR

CbR Member

Nov 10, 2000
    Bergen County NJ
    are u serious????i bet atleast 1,000 of those were jamaicans. Metrostars front office promote the game?

(weeknight, bad weather, unimportant game, but still a joke)

2. nyrmetros

nyrmetros Member

Feb 7, 2004
    I have to say this..... but C-Bus gets too many USMNT games that aren't that meaningful where the game is played. The locals in C-bus can pick and choose which game to go to. My cousin lives in C-bus (she went to the game) but she said that none of her friends were going because they went to the Grenada game and this game was meaningless. There was no reason for the Grenada game nor this game to be held in C-bus. Put a meaningless game in a city where they are starved for ANY type of US game.

Is this the lowest turnout in the modern era (after WC '94) for a US home WCQ game ???

3. Bob Morocco

Bob Morocco Member+

Aug 11, 2003
    Billings, MT
    I thought it looked like more.

4. fatmaradona

fatmaradona New Member

Dec 15, 2002
    the Anschutz ranch
    thank you soccer-specific stadium

it's probable cause there ain't too many immigrants in Ohio (key Ohioan saying they got tons of immigrants)----I would have like Denver to get this game, so long as its not Mexico, or Guetamala, or Honduras, or any hispanic team---but we can outnumber dem jamaicans!

5. fatmaradona

fatmaradona New Member

Dec 15, 2002
    the Anschutz ranch
    is the Rochester stadium done yet?---they should get a game in the winter, say Costa Rica

6. Delta Blues

Delta Blues New Member

Jun 25, 1999
    King Willieville
    Yawn... did you go?

7. MFRONE

MFRONE Member+

Jul 24, 2000
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    It rained all day
    It was a Wednesday Night
    It was below 50 degrees during the game
    Tickets started at $35 :eek:
    Meaningless Game
    Crap Roster
    No Advertising
    Only mention in local paper were two articles burried in the sports section

Seriously, a tad bit of advertising and dropping the most expensive ticket to $25 could have brought out a few thousand more people.

8. Robb W

Robb W New Member

Jan 31, 1999
    Columbus, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    I'm tired of trying to answer for low attendances. I was there. Coming and posting on these boards makes no sense, since the large majority of people on these boards go to games. Go tell the US Soccer Federation to do even a small bit of promotion. As if it's up to those of us who went to get find 25000 people in Columbus to go to the game. And how about lowering ticket prices for a virtually meaningless game.

9. iride_mybike

iride_mybike Member

Mar 31, 2004
    DFW
    Club:
    Los Angeles Galaxy
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Move the US!

10. Iplayedforchelsea

Iplayedforchelsea New Member

Mar 23, 2004
    Athens, GA USA
    It looked like more than 9,000 to me. Except, I guess, that the upper section was literally completely empty.

What is the status of Birmingham, AL ever having another game? I went to both of the games there several years ago, and as I recall there were around 25k (maybe a little less) at both.

Friendlies vs. Tunisia and (I think) Ecuador were the games. Talk about meaningless.

11. Kryptonite

Kryptonite BS XXV

Apr 10, 1999
    Columbus
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States

Yeah, ticket prices are definitely to blame here. $35 (plus fees) for the cheap seats and $85 (plus fees) for the club seats. Surprisingly, people PAID $85 for those club seats. Wasn't the game in New England $20 for the cheap seats? And that was the same round.

This game should have had $35 for the mid-range seats, $20 or $25 for the cheap seats and about $50 for the club seats.

Columbus radio had commercials for the game, I saw a few print ads. Also got a postcard about it.

I'm guessing they sold the upper deck, but chained it off. West side upper had about 100-150 people in it, east side had 0.

12. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I'm actually willing to give the USSF half a pass on this one.

I will not let them off the hook for very little advertising or putting the Grenada game there or charging high prices. Those moves were beyond stupid.

If you are the USSF for unimportant games, either

- put the game in a city that doesn't get alot of games
    - charge less money for those cities that do get alot of games.

However, this only became an unimportant game 34 days ago. If there is one place I would want a deciding last game it would be Columbus - so putting the game there was fine. Just turned out that the game was surplus to requirements, hence the limited attendence. They were never getting more than 13-14K in optimum conditions.

(and no I did not go to the game, but I would have if the US needed it to clinch. I have somewhat limited funds and must plan accordingly)

13. fatmaradona

fatmaradona New Member

Dec 15, 2002
    the Anschutz ranch

$35 for a ticket is expensive? Man, the economy in Ohio must be worse than I thought, good thing you voted Bush back into office.

$70 I'd consider expensive, but I'd probably still go myself

14. Bleacherbutt

Bleacherbutt New Member

May 1, 2001
    Rochester, NY
    Completion date is looking like August 2005. Here's a link to relatively current pics. http://www.rhinosfan.com/forums/showthread.php?t=392

15. fidlerre

fidlerre Moderator
    Staff Member

Oct 10, 2000
    Central Ohio
    So if that's cheap I will assume you were there last night?

16. CrewNorthEnder

CrewNorthEnder New Member

Sep 15, 2004
    "Ohhhhhh, bring on Mexico......it sounds so sweet...."
    Scott sings James Taylor

If you weren't there last night and want to bi-yatch about our attendance, bite me! The crowd that was there did represent....

17. Smurfquake

Smurfquake Moderator
    Staff Member

Aug 8, 2000
    San Carlos, CA
    Club:
    San Jose Earthquakes
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I thought you guys looked and sounded great last night, regardless of the number that was reported.

I hope Cbus gets the Mexico match in the hex again. I flew out from California for the game in February 2002 and it was awesome. I wouldn't trust any other city or stadium with a qualifier vs Mexico.

18. fatmaradona

fatmaradona New Member

Dec 15, 2002
    the Anschutz ranch
    it's a little far from Colorado

19. Thomas A Fina

Thomas A Fina Member

Mar 29, 1999
    Hell
    Club:
    New York Red Bulls
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Ticket prices only really effect locals. Anybody else (like myself for example) who would have to spring for Plane tix and/or hotel is not going to quibble about an extra 10-20 bucks.

I have a much bigger problem with getting 9K for Grenada then I do for this.

and I wish they would spread it around a little more. We'll see when there is no RFK. 5 different venues shouldn't be that difficult, should it?

20. Bluecat82

Bluecat82 Member+

Feb 24, 1999
    Minneapolis, MN
    Club:
    Minnesota United FC
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I think the weatherr was the biggest factor...'cause it was sure misrable out there, especially after all the afternoon rain and that cold fog.

Those of us who were there are definitely hardcore.

21. Pauncho

Pauncho Member+

Mar 2, 1999
    Bexley, Ohio
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I bought three $65 tickets early, and ate two of them when the rest of the family bailed and there was no demand outside the stadium at any price.

I'd say something like a third of those present were Jamaica fans. The joke in the stadium was the number of New York license plates in the parking lot.

The weather was rotten all afternoon and cool/misting during the game itself. This is the second half of November in Ohio, after all.

The stadium probably looked more full than it was to the TV audience. There might have been 150 people in the upper deck on the west side, and not a soul upper deck east side. A few dozen in the south stands. The fans were packed in where they'd show on camera. Also, for 9K, we made a lot of noise. Folks who'd make the trek to a soccer stadium in Columbus, Ohio, for a game that's meaningless for the US and meaningful for an ethnic population there aren't many of locally, in crappy weather, are mostly not the casual fans. Especially for $50+ average price tickets. During Michigan Week.

22. JoeSoccerFan

JoeSoccerFan Member+

Aug 11, 2000
    Re: 9,000 at the game??? [r]

Rain, what stinking rain? :cool:

I had a blast. We pulled up at 230pm, created a make-shift awning from a tarp and proceeded to party, had some ribs and meet a lot of brave people (2 guys stripped down to shorts and sandals and painted-up, cool!)

Either you show or you don't - everyone can find an excuse (or reason if you prefer) be it time, money, convenience, motivation, etc. I'm committed to go to all US games in 2005. Others?

23. jmeissen0

jmeissen0 New Member

Mar 31, 2001
    page 1078
    i thought 9k was a great turnout

we are dealing with the ussf... they aren't going to do squat... tickets are $35 for behind the goals... cold and raining... we already qualified

i was expecting 5-6k... when i found out it was over 9k... i thought that was pretty ********ign impressive

24. flowergirl

flowergirl Member+

Aug 11, 2004
    panama city, FL
    Club:
    Columbus Crew
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    For us young 'uns and/or college folk, $35 apiece is a lot. And yes the economy is bad. And i didn't vote for that weasel.

25. pasoccerdave

pasoccerdave Member

Mar 30, 2004
    SE Michigan
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Sure is, when you have to buy 4 tix. :eek: