85% in Utah poll say they might not/won't support RSL

Discussion in 'MLS: News & Analysis' started by sounderfan, Dec 4, 2004.

1. SnakeEyes

SnakeEyes Member

Oct 7, 2001
    Good point.

2. JayJay4Pres

JayJay4Pres New Member

May 10, 2003
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    ...The Mormon joke=Great.

Secondly, having been a fan of politics for most of my life, let me tell you something...3% may not seem like a high Margin of error, but it is...6.5% is huge...Basically, what they are saying is that up to 9.5% of All Utahans will DEFINATLY attend a RSL game, or, conversly -3.5% will...neither is very relastic(Though the 9.5 would be awesome)...

A poll of 600 would be twice as acurate, 3,000 would be as scientific as we could hope.

RSL should succed looking at these #'s in great fashion.

3. Bonji

Bonji Moderator

Feb 4, 2003
    Denver, Colorado
    Club:
    Colorado Rapids
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    I highly doubt this poll used correct sampling techniques to deem it accurate and therefore statistically significant. They probably didn't use a correct sample size as that is a common mistake with media related polls. As any good statistician will tell you, you calculate the sample size, not just pick it out of the air.

In addition, this poll was to find who supported public funds going to a soccer stadium.

Therefor this is junk and no one should be concerned with it.

4. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    Yeah, who needs fans when we can just have rich dudes float te league for us. That's a pretty sound business plan.

5. striker

striker Member+

Aug 4, 1999
    On the other hand, if these supporters each attends only one home game, that's under 2K a game.
    :eek:

6. monster

monster Member

Oct 19, 1999
    Hanover, PA
    Club:
    DC United
    Nat'l Team:
    United States
    Nice post, given that you discount the fizzy mathematics that go along with reporting percentages in polls with huge margins of error.

But, then again, specifics and reality were never your suit.

7. Need a little reality check. There are well over 200 million people in the US. By most surveys, only around 10% follow any sports activity!!! That's been shown over and over again. It's why sports TV ratings continue to decline as more cable options become available. By that standard, 15% is way above national averages for any sport. Bring it on RSL. As a Fire fan, I look forward to a new opponent, and I really like your logo, colors, etc. See you in 2005.

8. crusio

crusio New Member

May 10, 2004
    Princeton
    It was your idea man, not mine. Like Bruce Campbell in Army of Darkness, it's almost as though you are fighting with yourself. Anyway, keep us updated on your inner struggle... Enjoy

9. Rockey J Squirrel

Feb 27, 2003
    Brigham city Utah
    There may be some margin of error problems with the poll. But the real problem is that the full results and demographics have not been published. In any community there are people who will not watch a soccer game (or Lacrosse or whatever) for a variety of reasons. [somebody start a thread with something new on the subject] Blitzz games pulled 2-3000 for 3rd division soccer with very little publicity from a market area of 2 hour travel of 1.5 million people. From my obsevaton of the people attending the Blitzz games every "Respondant", as the surveyer would call them, were accompanied with 1 to 4 children, a spouse/friend and often their whole youth soccer team.
    Not in the survey: How many pro sports events do you attend a year? How many go with you? Do you have the time, money and transportation to attend paid addmission sporting events. If yes how often and what kind? What affiliation or association do you have to particular sports or teams. How often do you see any kind of soccer played?